Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I'm genuinely wondering about this. Why is buddhism such a "trendy" religion? Yoga, "free tibet" and its tremendous celebrity support? As far as I know Paris Hilton has never been concerned about the plight of Coptic or Iraqi Christians, but many celebrities are quite vocal about the plight of Tibetan buddhists?

I don't mean to underscore the very real suffering monks and nuns have suffered at the hands of chinese authorities, but I am puzzled why it has become a cause celebre, compared to the persecution of other religious groups. Buddhism is a very strict religion for those who study it seriously, in terms of sexual morality, avoiding alcohol & drugs, exercising self control and practicing meditation, so it's not necessarily an "easy" religion (so I don't think that is the appeal?).

Is there something special or different about buddhism that attracts the concern and attention of the secular & western world? If so, what?
Because it's primarily been embraced by people from the political left. Liberals, by their very nature, like novelty. Buddhism fills the bill because it's perceived to be different from Christianity. (It certainly is in many respects, although many core teachings about how to deal with the difficulties of life remain the same). Liberals also are the ones who dominate the entertainment industry and the media, so Buddhism is made trendy through the use of those vehicles; sometimes deliberately, and at others, it just reflects the biases of the people who dominate those media outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Because it's primarily been embraced by people from the political left.
define "people from the political left" and show some statistics

Quote:
Liberals, by their very nature, like novelty. Buddhism fills the bill because it's perceived to be different from Christianity.
and yet the majority of liberals are non-hypocritical Christians, so much for novelty.
Quote:
(It certainly is in many respects, although many core teachings about how to deal with the difficulties of life remain the same). Liberals also are the ones who dominate the entertainment industry and the media, so Buddhism is made trendy through the use of those vehicles; sometimes deliberately, and at others, it just reflects the biases of the people who dominate those media outlets.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

and yet the majority of liberals are non-hypocritical Christians, so much for novelty.

There is no such thing as a non-hypocritical Christian because ideologies are imperfect, humans are imperfect. Best you can do is to strive to be the best person you can be, and extend kindness to others. Humility is a virtue. To view yourself as superior because of a political persuasion is not the Christian way.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
I think you know who I'm talking about when I refer to people from the left. You know, they voted for Obama, they believe in the welfare state. They think taxing the rich will solve all our government's financial problems, etc. As far as I know, there aren't any statistics on such a thing. It was my opinion, as your statement below is yours.

Quote:

Ummm....not so fast. I don't deny conservative Christians can be hypocritical. But it's laughable to say the liberals aren't. I've experienced the intolerance of some liberals first hand. It's human nature to be hypocritical and to notice the hypocrisy of other people you perceive as different from you but not your own. It's pretty much the human story (unfortunately).

I might also add that hypocrisy is inevitable for anyone who holds any kind of high ideals. High ideals, by their very nature are difficult to achieve, and thus, invite hypocrisy, since humans are imperfect.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
As to the OP. As an agnostic atheist, the only "religion" I have ever been interested in, even just on an intellectual level, is Buddhism. IMHO it has all the benefits of religion (sense of community, emphasis on compassion, etc) and none of its downsides (too long to list here).

Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I'm genuinely wondering about this. Why is buddhism such a "trendy" religion? Yoga, "free tibet" and its tremendous celebrity support? As far as I know Paris Hilton has never been concerned about the plight of Coptic or Iraqi Christians, but many celebrities are quite vocal about the plight of Tibetan buddhists?....
It certainly seems to me that Evangelical Christianity is far more trendy in the U.S., people getting born again all over the place and politicians running to embrace (literally) every televangelical preacher for an endorsement. I think it's EC that's that the rage in the U.S.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,847 times
Buddhism is not necessarily an austere religion that is dificult to follow, not even Tibetan Buddhism, and many Buddhist countries are relatively libertine in their sexual morality (Thailand). I think Buddhism is popular because its essentially humanistic- inner peace, not worship, is the center of the religion.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
They're not Christian for one. They also don't believe in God, Buddha is not a God.

According to the doctrine of the Buddha a human being must study Nature (dhamma vicaya) in order to attain personal wisdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
This fits in nicely with the NWO and Agenda 21.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:27 PM

734 posts, read 483,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
To clairfy: Buddhism is about the self. It is an inward focused religion. As to self serving, there are tons of Catholic and Christian Organization based hospitals all over the place. How many Buddhist based hospitals does one find?

(I love how some folk keep demonizing Christians)
It's "inward" because you can only change the world for the good if you yourself are "changed"; that is, more enlightened.

This reminds of many Protestant Christian groups that cannot see the holiness in being a Christian monk or nun. The answer is quite simple: their radical denial of self is the greatest testament of faith in their god.

Demonizing Christians? No good Buddhist demonizes anything or anyone. They wish genuine happiness for all people. And they hate nothing, as one cannot have hate in one's heart for anything, even for "sin" or "defilement", should true happiness be sought.

Denial of self is key to ultimate happiness, whether you believe in god or not.

Peace.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
It's "inward" because you can only change the world for the good if you yourself are "changed"; that is, more enlightened.

This reminds of many Protestant Christian groups that cannot see the holiness in being a Christian monk or nun. The answer is quite simple: their radical denial of self is the greatest testament of faith in their god.

Demonizing Christians? No good Buddhist demonizes anything or anyone. They wish genuine happiness for all people. And they hate nothing, as one cannot have hate in one's heart for anything, even for "sin" or "defilement", should true happiness be sought.

Denial of self is key to ultimate happiness, whether you believe in god or not.

Peace.
I don't agree that "no good Buddhist demonizes anything or anyone". There are evil acts and there are evil people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism