Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM

577 posts, read 899,910 times

Advertisements

I'm genuinely wondering about this. Why is buddhism such a "trendy" religion? Yoga, "free tibet" and its tremendous celebrity support? As far as I know Paris Hilton has never been concerned about the plight of Coptic or Iraqi Christians, but many celebrities are quite vocal about the plight of Tibetan buddhists?

I don't mean to underscore the very real suffering monks and nuns have suffered at the hands of chinese authorities, but I am puzzled why it has become a cause celebre, compared to the persecution of other religious groups. Buddhism is a very strict religion for those who study it seriously, in terms of sexual morality, avoiding alcohol & drugs, exercising self control and practicing meditation, so it's not necessarily an "easy" religion (so I don't think that is the appeal?).

Is there something special or different about buddhism that attracts the concern and attention of the secular & western world? If so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I'm genuinely wondering about this. Why is buddhism such a "trendy" religion? Yoga, "free tibet" and its tremendous celebrity support? As far as I know Paris Hilton has never been concerned about the plight of Coptic or Iraqi Christians, but many celebrities are quite vocal about the plight of Tibetan buddhists?

I don't mean to underscore the very real suffering monks and nuns have suffered at the hands of chinese authorities, but I am puzzled why it has become a cause celebre, compared to the persecution of other religious groups. Buddhism is a very strict religion for those who study it seriously, in terms of sexual morality, avoiding alcohol & drugs, exercising self control and practicing meditation, so it's not necessarily an "easy" religion (so I don't think that is the appeal?).

Is there something special or different about buddhism that attracts the concern and attention of the secular & western world? If so, what?

I believe it's practioners purport themselves to be more "enlightend."

Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:

Because it's "exotic". Simple enough. Remeber when everyone was Australia-crazy back in the 80's because of "Crocodile Dundee"? Some things just get sucked into the trend of the moment.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Because it's "exotic". Simple enough. Remeber when everyone was Australia-crazy back in the 80's because of "Crocodile Dundee"? Some things just get sucked into the trend of the moment.
I remember back in the day when TM was pretty big. And then there was EST!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
I'm genuinely wondering about this. Why is buddhism such a "trendy" religion?
Respect for humility needs no excuse. BTW, "yoga" is not a Buddhist practice, it comes from Hinduism (and take note, Buddha himself was born a Hindu).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Zen Buddhism was trendy in the Fifties with the Beat Generation, then with Hippies in the Sixties (as I just read today in a book called "Buddhism, A Very Short Introduction" by Keown).

It is also commonly a "thinking person's" religion (even though, "thinking," per se is "Monkey Mind").

Last edited by imcurious; 07-13-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
It is a religion that does not subscribe to a belief in God. Thus the appeal. It is all about you, not about God. A religion that the World can be happy with.

The World does not want God. Messes things up. So a nontheistic religion fits the bill, so to speak.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Some Buddhists are theists, some are atheists. And simply because something isn't "about God" doesn't necessarily mean it's "all about you".

I must agree that God-belief messes things up, however.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
There is no big GOD in Buddhism, so I don't know how Buddhists can be theists.

As the religion spread, it absorbed local customs, so some local "gods" are sometimes worshiped, if that is what you are talking about . . .

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I think an issue is it's seen as peaceful and mostly/largely about self-help. Also many people I think don't really understand it, other than meditation and peace, so see Buddhism as whatever they want it to be. Related to that people in the West know the ills of Christian history, they're often comparatively ignorant of the ills in the history of other cultures. So Japanese Buddhists that preached "Hell" for non-believers or the Sri Lankan Buddhist extremist-elements of today who are very pro-violence are not what they know. They know, or think they know, Coptics killing Hypatia or whatever. Movies have been done on that kind of thing.

Although I would think it's trendiness is largely among academics, who want a religion that allows for non-theism, and rich people who want a religion that they feel is about calming their stressed minds. The genuinely "trendy religions", in terms of population numbers, I think are those that offer charity, structure, and self-improvement. Because more people need those. So as I recall the genuinely trendy religions in the world are Pentecostalism, Islam, and such. Although Baha'i and Neo-Paganism are fast growing too without really fitting either notion. Neither is precisely appealing because it's "calming or non-theistic" nor because it's "structured and charitable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism