Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,114,363 times

Advertisements

Let me put it this way .... to become a Buddhist requires BELIEVING in the Eightfold Path. To become a good, practicing Buddhist requires DOING the Eightfold Path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,527,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Let me put it this way .... to become a Buddhist requires BELIEVING in the Eightfold Path. To become a good, practicing Buddhist requires DOING the Eightfold Path.
This is true. This is also why I don't feel a strong need to fulfill all the requirements needed in order to feel that I can truthfully call myself a buddhist. I don't need to be able to label myself. I take what practices I find helpful to my life.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
My personal experience and feelings were that the former is an intellectual position, the latter is a way of life. Your distinction reflects my own experience well.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,874,077 times
Meditation is not easy for me.

I suffer too much from "Monkey mind."

I'll probably end up as a "hungry ghost."

Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Default Is Meditation a Requirement?

I always referred to myself as an atheist meditating Buddhist because there are many varieties . . . even some who make of Buddha a Divine figure. Meditation is the path to the other side . . . and having reached it . . . I would recommend it wholeheartedly. It was life-changing for me.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 827,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Can someone be Buddhist without meditating? Does meditation depend on the particular school of Buddhism one is following?
I knew two women about 30 years ago who went headlong into Buddhism. One is now a head lama and the other the director of a zen center, so they both stayed with it. They both logged hours and hours of meditation, almost like how many miles you could run (I think this is not a zen approach to the practice?). When I would say I just didn't feel the need to meditate, they'd nod wisely (smirkily?) and say, "Not yet."
It's been 30 years. Still no desire or need to do that.
A wise friend said to me, "Your home is a meditation on a love of art, nature and abandoned animals."
I like that.
No, meditation is not essential to being Buddhist. It is not even necessarily advantageous to meditate as a Buddhist.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,527,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Meditation is not easy for me.

I suffer too much from "Monkey mind."

I'll probably end up as a "hungry ghost."
I doubt it's easy for anyone unless they've been doing it for many years. All of us have the monkey mind!

I have a lot of trouble remaining consistent with meditation. I go through periods of time when I just don't do it. But I do feel the benefits when I've been consistent - I find concentration and mindfulness easier. I'm thinking of trying chanting instead of meditation for a while.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 827,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I doubt it's easy for anyone unless they've been doing it for many years. All of us have the monkey mind!

I have a lot of trouble remaining consistent with meditation. I go through periods of time when I just don't do it. But I do feel the benefits when I've been consistent - I find concentration and mindfulness easier. I'm thinking of trying chanting instead of meditation for a while.
Of course, but if one meditates just to improve concentration, that's not necessarily a Buddhist goal. The main reason one would meditate is to realize emptiness or impermanence in a way that is non-conceptual. And that doesn't require alot of time or training, in fact the whole notion of time or training detracts from the realization.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM

398 posts, read 543,109 times
I have meditated for years and never noticed any difference in my life...so I stopped.

Now when I want some quiet time I go talk a walk across a lake or something..... ;-)

FWIW.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM

283 posts, read 506,735 times
Meditition is not necessarily a pre-requisite for some forms of Buddhism, but it certainly is for the Zen school. The entire point of Zen is to meditate until you attain the Enlightenment they refer to as "satori."
I think the common thread of the different branches of Buddhism is that, you must, in some way, minimalize your desires and craving for material and temporal things and reach down within and find your true self and then meld it with the rest of the world. Ego must be diminished, if not totally erased. I think one can meditate in many ways; it is just finding a quiet time of thought and relaxation, away from the clutter of Society.
I often get my mediation while in nature, especially while running. Some people can get it through music or art. it sounds like your house might my a pretty spiritual place, filled with things dear to your heart. That might be enough for you.
No one ever gets anything out of formal meditation if they only do it cuz they think they should.
And anyway, the Buddha was a pretty open-minded guy. He tried self-deprivation--asceticism--and denied that, and also eschewed over-indulgence. He preached that we should instead find a "middle way." (He suggested we use his "Eightfold Path" for this, I think.)
He was also much against stern teachers who think they kbnow it all. Didn't he once admonish that if we "find a buddha (teacher) on the side of the road we should kill it?"

Peace/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism