Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Speaking at Brown University Wednesday, the Dalai Lama appeared to tell listeners that if they didn’t like his message about living peaceful lives, they could just “f---” it.

At least, that’s what audience members were led to believe when a stenographer accidentally attributed the four-letter word to the 77-year-old on the many closed captioned video screens playing at the event.

Read more: Brown University denies Dalai Lama said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,554 times
That stenographer doesn't sound like ivy-league material to me.

But he/she should submit their resume to Bill Maher's show, Real Time.

Last edited by nezlie; 10-19-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
The stenographer may have been correct. I could see the Dalai Lama saying something like that, but just as a way to get folks' attention, not in a mean way. He visited our area awhile back and he seemed to have a bit of mischievousness to him as well as a lot of just down home practicality. He didn't seem to be all that formal of a person and interested in all sorts of things even while the folks with him were trying to follow some sort of pre-planned path - which didn't work so well when the Dalai Lama would wander off and chat with bystanders. I think he'd be a fun person to hang out with.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
I'd be fine with it, though some might feel that it was lacking in respect to the audience. If it was misheard - and it could have been - then an admission would be nice. However it can be regarded as unimportant as some TV interviewer remarking that his religion sounded a load of balloqs.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
I seriously don't believe that's what he said.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,201 times
Strikes June as being very atypical of the Dali Lama. Questions the validity of the statement.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 AM

398 posts, read 545,442 times
Doesn't fit.

If nothing else the Dalai Lama in incredibly non-directive in his teaching. Its not unusual for people to read his materials or listen to him speak and walk away thinking "....but what did he actually TELL me". Its an odd feeling but thats the true role of a teacher. The DL is not here to make declarations so the whole matter of his making a declaration, especially an "inelegent" one just doesn't fit. BTW: The DL does not speak for ALL Buddhists any more than the Pope speaks for all Christians or the Ayatolla speaks for all Muslims.

FWIW.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
When the Tenzin Giatzo came to speak at our University, I was quite sure he said some playful remarks. But now that I think about it. He said exactly the same thing, "If you don't like what you hear, then FORGET"

At the time I had a real salty tongue, so I thought his corrupt religionist nature was trying to identify with the college youth, sort of to win us over, and I had accepted that he had said something along the lines of "f--- it" which connotes basically the same meaning, I found it quite pleasing that he wasn't so full of himself and self-righteous to think some words were taboo.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
When the Tenzin Giatzo came to speak at our University, I was quite sure he said some playful remarks. But now that I think about it. He said exactly the same thing, "If you don't like what you hear, then FORGET"

At the time I had a real salty tongue, so I thought his corrupt religionist nature was trying to identify with the college youth, sort of to win us over, and I had accepted that he had said something along the lines of "f--- it" which connotes basically the same meaning, I found it quite pleasing that he wasn't so full of himself and self-righteous to think some words were taboo.
Now that I realized the word he used was FORGET, I see that it was my own saltiness being projected onto him. Sort of to excuse myself, "everyone does it" "it doesn't matter" sort of excuses.
Forget connotes a far more pleasing message than the exclamatory sexual expressions.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Now that I realized the word he used was FORGET, I see that it was my own saltiness being projected onto him.
His accent would have made him pronounce "forget" more like "foh-git" which could easily be misconstrued as "f__k it", particularly with his tendency to staccato delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism