Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Any significant differences? I'm not a Buddhist, but I'm interest in culture, religion, beliefs.etc. I'm pretty ignorant about Buddhism in general, but was wondering if there is a difference in the doctrines, traditions, customs of Buddhists in Sri Lanka versus countries like Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia.

Those golden buddha statues, are they idols? I know Buddha never claimed to be God and Buddhists aren't supposed to worship him as God, but in the Mahayana school isn't he sometimes worshipped as a God? Along with perhaps other deities. So the people bowing down to the statues, are they doing it out of 'respect for the first Buddha, Gautama/or someone who has gained buddha-hood, or as a God?

Didn't intend to extend the question, but I'm guessing a lot of the Mahayana practised in China, Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia is adulterated with folk religion? Guanyin is a God from Chinese mythology. Does Tibetan not have these other gods?

What about Zen Buddhism in Japan? I thought it was it's own branch but it's apparently part of Mahayana. Strange because it's struck me as the most philosophical and dare I say atheist strand of Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM

398 posts, read 545,469 times
Seems like a lot of your questions proceed from not knowing what Buddhism is. Have you ever thought of grabbing a book such as those written by, say, Karen Armstrong and broadening your Knowledge?

FWIW.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
You've raised a lot of questions, so I hope you don't mind if I zero in on just question.

I follow the Theravada (or "Southern" school of Buddhism) and I have been to Sri Lanka, as well as SE Asia, and here is my observation. In fact, nearly 20 years ago I took Refuge in the Three Jewels (Ti Ratana)at a Sri Lankan Vihara in Queens, New York. Although I have traveled to Myanmar, Cambodia, and Thailand, it is Thailand I have been back to the most times, so I am familiar with Thai Theravadin Buddhism.

The Buddhist establishment in Sri Lanka is more conservative and strict than the Thai establishment. This is the legacy of historical events. You see, before it was Sri Lanka and still called Ceylon, it was conquered and colonized by European powers. Christian missionaries sought to wipe out Buddhism, and nearly succeeded. It was an American named Henry Steel Olcott (1832 - 1907)who helped re-introduce and promote Buddhism in Sri Lanka.Today Olcott is regarded as a national hero in Sri Lanka, and a zillion things like streets and schools are named after him. From my observation, the Buddhist leadership over there takes it very seriously and are somewhat cool and suspicious of the non-Buddhist minorities in their land. They have a degree of "orthodoxy" and take the Tripitaka very seriously. On social issues like marriage, family, life events, sexuality, gay and gender issues, they are rather conservative.

Thailand was one of the very few places in Asia that was never colonized by the West. The Thais are very proud of that and won't let you forget it. Thais, having never suffered domination and colonialism, have a more carefree attitude and liberal attitude. The Thais have a word - "Sanuk" - which means to have fun, to enjoy life, to seek entertainment and good times. The Thai bikkhus (monks and abbots) I have met are serious about meditation and Buddhism, but they are also more tolerant and easy going. On the other hand the Thais are much more devotional than the Sri Lankans, and thats why you see so many gorgeous sumptuous temples and golden Buddha statues in Thailand. Thai families love to bring flowers and incense to the temples and seem to be enthralled by rituals of devotion.

I am not a scholar, and these are just observations and opinions on my part. If anyone would like to dispute anything I said, please do! We are all seeking enlightenment!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks for that Clark. Isn't it the case that every Thai boy/young man spends time as a monk? Like a requirement, a sort of draft/national service? I guess it teaches them the values of humility, a simple life, and gets them to meditate and stuff. Indeed Thailand has a vast number of wats.

From my understanding the Mahayana tradition is much more diluted and often mixed with traditional Eastern religion. It's often said that the Chinese practice the 'triple religion' of Buddhism, Taoism/Folk Religion, and Confucianism, and from my visit to Vietnam it is the case there as well. Is there, still, a more purist tradition within the Mahayana? I have heard that Taiwan has the most permanent monks per capita in the world, actually. I have been there and can say there are tons of temples and monks are a much more common sight than in China. I mean the Tibetan tradition I would assume is sometimes considered a sub-group of Mahayana and seems very traditional. When Westerners think of Buddhism many think of Tibetan Buddhism and the Dalai Llama.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Well, from my point of view - and I could be over simplifying this - Theravada Buddhism is mostly about the teachings of the historical Buddha, the Tathagata, Siddhartha Gautama (Sidhatta Gotama). Mahayana Buddhism is more mystical, more weight is given to "Heavenly Buddhas" and Bodhisattvas. We Theravada Buddhists put more emphasis on the Tripitaka. Mahayana Buddhists especial revere the sutras such as The Heart Sutra and The Lotus Sutra. Vajrayan Buddhism of Tibet and Mongolia is even more mystical.

The main things we all agree on. I do not know of any branch of Buddhism that does not venerate The Four Noble Truths or The Noble Eightfold Path.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
I practice Vajrayana and Tibetan Buddhism. It is considered to be a Mahayana Buddhist path. There are some eliments of our practice that are Theravadin, also. We have many rituals and also secret empowerments. You have to be spiritually ready to receive the latter and they require certain commitments. I took refuge 25 years ago.

If you have a seeking mind and are looking into possibly practicing Buddhism I suggest you visit
the different traditions and see which one resonates best with you.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. -Buddha

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
... but in the Mahayana school isn't he sometimes worshipped as a God? Along with perhaps other deities. So the people bowing down to the statues, are they doing it out of 'respect for the first Buddha, Gautama/or someone who has gained buddha-hood, or as a God?
"All of the above" more or less, though the monotheist concept of "God" is largely alien to Buddhism.

in Buddhism, the Buddha is "the teacher of gods and men". What kind of Buddhist would not venerate him? Veneration leads to wholesome mental states, good karma, and actualization of ones own Buddha-nature. The disdain for reverence is a western secularist objection, it is alien to Buddhism. The Buddha accepted veneration often and did not reject it, indeed.

Quote:
Didn't intend to extend the question, but I'm guessing a lot of the Mahayana practised in China, Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia is adulterated with folk religion? Guanyin is a God from Chinese mythology. Does Tibetan not have these other gods? ...
Guanyin is the Chinese name for Avalokiteshvara, who appears in Indian Buddhist sutras over 2000 years ago. the Lotus Sutra states that she can appear in many forms as needed.

Quote:
What about Zen Buddhism in Japan? I thought it was it's own branch but it's apparently part of Mahayana. Strange because it's struck me as the most philosophical and dare I say atheist strand of Buddhism.
Zen Buddhism in Japan has alot of practices (like chanting), but the primary practice is sitting meditation. It shares alot in common with other Buddhist schools. In China there is no difference between Zen and other forms of Buddhism.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM

I'm in Sri Lanka right now, where the 'purest' form of the religion is performed. What I have observed, however, is adulteration/hybrization with Hinduism. Also the reveration for the Buddha does seem to spill into worship. I was in the tooth temple in Kandy and the people there seemed to be worshipping it (so I was told). But learning about Buddhism, it seems the Buddha was an insightful man, who had a lot of good philosophies and ideas, but since he never claimed to be God I don't believe he was all-knowing or attained a state of perfection.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
It seems from the wide-ranging questions you have that you would really benefit more by a good introductory book on the subject.

An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices Introduction to Religion: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Harvey: Books

The link is to such a book by Peter Harvey, And Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices. Judging from the table of contents it would seem to cover the topics you have asked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism