Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM

152 posts, read 142,774 times

Advertisements

What do you find out about yourself when you look within?

I was "meditating" last night.. Rather i was trying to stay still and thoughts tried to pull me in all directions, into the past and future, all over... It took me a while to settle and become still.
and then i noticed the fears that i had.. I was always trying to be "positive" about the future and Trust that life would provide all that i needed, for me and my kids( i am 8 months Pregnant and i have a 3 year old) but i began to see the chatter in my mind , worrying and doubting, the conversations are really negative and not in tune with Trusting life at all.
I also realized how afraid i am about being judged by others.

For the first time i witnessed things within me that i never knew were there... I mean.. i guess i always kinda knew deep down, but i never understood why i felt the ways i did. I sat and i looked at them as they pulled me in all directions and i struggled to be aware that they are the conditions that keep me from being free to be me..

All of us are searching for truth within.. ( i think) and i jsut wanted to know if anyone would like to share any personal experiences while Looking within.. What do you find when you look within?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Similar on some level to what you posted. That much of the obstacles I face in life are self imposed and originate from the mind. That challenges do come but that the thought of these challenges is far more exhausting than the actual challenge.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Similar to yourself (apart from the pregnant bit, of course). The mind is constantly chattering to itself and won't be stilled. I gently brought it back to stillness, but there it went off chattering again. Time and again I brought it back to stillness, but after ten days of doing so, I still couldn't stop it chattering. After a while I just accepted that it was that kind of mind and it would be unkind to keep it tied up. So we chatter together.

I certainly found that the idea of not worrying too much what other people think of me only went so far. I had to accept that I do care, very much, what people think of me. A staggering amount of thought goes into how I present myself to give a good impression and, like the chattering mind, I had to learn to work with it, not against it. While I had better not deny that I could not tell myself that I didn't care what people thought of me, I knew that it would also be cheating myself by saying that I thought things that I knew I didn't think true, just to please people. That would be denying myself as well.

If I am going to take words of wisdom from some source, Star trek will do as well as any other. 'We are a violent race - and we will kill - but not today' (1). It is deception to deny what makes us tick as humans, but it is better for our future if we apply a moral code that may not be natural for us, but it is better.

While the natural impulse when one is insulted is the good ol' poke in the eye, it is better to quietly bring that impulse to stillness too and reply with a smile (or a smiley will do) and some reasoned response. I always feel better for it. Especially as it drives 'em wild.

(1) it's always fun to look that up and see how close I remembered it.

Hah A Taste of Armageddon", in which Kirk says, "We're Human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill, today. That's all it takes. Knowing that we won't kill, today."

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-14-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM

I sat again last night to watch my mind .. same thing happened.. thoughts were there , coming and going... but i noticed that i was a little more aware.. and i was more patient with myself.. more gentle and less opinionated.. i guess instead of fighting against the ego and its conditioning, if we are more patient with ourselves and our self discovery then we will create less resistance, and allow life to guide us to where we need to be, to show us who we are

Its seems like such a struggle sometimes but i am glad that i am not alone in this journey.. many people are longing for the same freedom i crave for and i wish all of you a happy day today.

Peace and love.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 AM

The King and the Cleaning Boy story ~ Mooji - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism