Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 AM

153 posts, read 290,334 times

Advertisements

The three people that died in the sweat lodge in Sedonna were Buddhist...this concerns the original people of America in that particular ceremonies of unique tribes are open in some cases to all but they are still run by members of that tribe. We wonder why a Buddhist would seek such ceremonies and why they would turn to one who is not of the tribe(s) that practice that particular ceremony?

It is dangerous to enter ceremonies not run by those with the knowledge to protect those who enter. It is also very disrespectful to our ancestors.

Perhaps Buddhist should practice their ceremonies and "religion" in Tibet, rather than America...for so many seek from our ways rather than their own...something must be missing here for them....aho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
The three people that died in the sweat lodge in Sedonna were Buddhist...this concerns the original people of America in that particular ceremonies of unique tribes are open in some cases to all but they are still run by members of that tribe. We wonder why a Buddhist would seek such ceremonies and why they would turn to one who is not of the tribe(s) that practice that particular ceremony?

It is dangerous to enter ceremonies not run by those with the knowledge to protect those who enter. It is also very disrespectful to our ancestors.

Perhaps Buddhist should practice their ceremonies and "religion" in Tibet, rather than America...for so many seek from our ways rather than their own...something must be missing here for them....aho.
You are confused. This was a motivational speaker named James Ray. He was trying to practice a traditional Native American practice that went awry. This was not a Buddhist practice at all.

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 03-05-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Lightbulb Buddhanet

Here is a great place to find Buddhist Centers near you. It's kind of like trying on shoes you just have to find the one that best suits your individual personality. There are 84,000 different ways to cultivate enlightenment and Buddha's teaching is about helping others, doing good deeds, to love and respect all sentient beings, perfecting ourselves, understanding, abstaining from " greed, hatred, and to learn in order to overcome ignorance." Click on the link below to find centers near you.

World Buddhist Directory - Presented by BuddhaNet.Net

Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

276 posts, read 747,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingFanatic View Post
I just posted the following in the Portland thread, and then realized I should have thought to check for an active Buddhist thread ... I would appreciate any advice
Sean

Prayer Flags Illegals!??!?
I just received notice from the leasing office that my Tibetan prayer flags on my porch must be removed. They have been up since I moved in last summer, but the "owners" will be on site and they've asked me to remove them all of the sudden. When I explained what they are the 20-something leasing agents had no clue that these were an expression of my faith not merely decoration. I investigated OR state housing law and didn't find much except for an interesting case where an Albany, OR apt. community tried to ban US flags and quickly reversed their decisions. The lease only mentions "signs or posters". As a practicing Buddhist, I walk a peaceful non-confrontational path and have never been put in this position before. I'm not even sure spiritually how to respond, so I thought I would seek advice from other posters -- legally or spiritually, any advice??
Are there any laws of discrimination that their request infringes upon? How big are they and is it possible to use smaller? Is there a place indoors that you can place them? Just thoughts.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,527 times
Fan of the Austin Zen Center here. I don't call myself a Buddhist and hopefully never will. However, I aspire to practice the Dharma to the best of my ability, and to avoid the cultural trappings of imported Buddhism.

I'm also a fan of Vipassana meditation and Shambala. Basically any sangha where there is an authentic interest in seeing things exactly as they are. Tea ceremonies optional.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Any other Buddhists on here

Well....this is gonna sound like a bit of a contradiction in terms, but....I am not a buddhist, but..am somewhat of an argumentative Zen student.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingFanatic View Post
I just posted the following in the Portland thread, and then realized I should have thought to check for an active Buddhist thread ... I would appreciate any advice
Sean

Prayer Flags Illegals!??!?
I just received notice from the leasing office that my Tibetan prayer flags on my porch must be removed. They have been up since I moved in last summer, but the "owners" will be on site and they've asked me to remove them all of the sudden. When I explained what they are the 20-something leasing agents had no clue that these were an expression of my faith not merely decoration. I investigated OR state housing law and didn't find much except for an interesting case where an Albany, OR apt. community tried to ban US flags and quickly reversed their decisions. The lease only mentions "signs or posters". As a practicing Buddhist, I walk a peaceful non-confrontational path and have never been put in this position before. I'm not even sure spiritually how to respond, so I thought I would seek advice from other posters -- legally or spiritually, any advice??
Do other people have crosses, religious statues, etc. on their front porches? If not, then it would seem that you probably don't have much of a precedent in the community.

On the other hand: Why do I need these hanging on my front porch? Why am I having a problem removing them as requested? As a person who characterizes himself as on a "peaceful, non-confrontational path" where is the confrontation? These, I would think, are the appropriate "spiritual" questions from a Buddhist point of view.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
What are the differences in the Buddhist communities? Zen, Taoist and others. Someone with knowledge please respond clearly and concisely.
Zen (Japanese) or Chan (Chinese) is a school, or sect in more Western terminology, within the Mahayana tradition of Buddhism. Taoism is a spiritual tradition indigenous to China, though it has had quite an influence on the former.

If you Google or use Wikipedia to query on "Buddhism" you will probably be further ahead in getting a very basic orientation, and can followup on other terms that may interest you.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Therevada here. My experience as an American with a (then) young daughter, was that the sangha or community of Buddhists who are from another country that is actually Buddhist in nature is more accepting and "authentic."

The American Buddhists, I feel (and it's just my opinion) are practicing Buddhism as it suits them, rather than as it has been taught for thousands of years.

For example, the temple we attend is Burmese -- and there are some Chinese and Vietnamese who also attend. We chose this one -- we weren't looking, actually, but were "led" there (it is hid very deeply in the woods and not advertised -- we just happened to drive by it and were stunned to see such a beautiful temple there) -- because the American ones we had seen did not want children there. Their temples seemed to be comprised of mainly all Americans, including American monks, and they seemed to still have the American attitude that children should be seen and not heard.

At our Burmese temple it was dramatically different! As soon as I and my 7-year-old daughter walked in, they immediately welcomed us -- and my daughter as one of "them." The recognized her as a soul not a pesty kid. They brought out baskets full of cookies and treats, tea, and sat with us on the floor in front of the alter. There were no symmetrical, color-matching pillows, or very neat alter -- it was all very down-to-earth. It was real.

My daughter is the one who insisted that we return. She sat through an hour of meditation once or twice a week. She never moved. The monks "recognized" her as we were told, "she was one of us."

Their total, unconditional love and acceptance was so very different from the many American-organized Buddhist centers. Each time we went to an American one, they first, disregarded my daughter (who was very quiet), and also told me that she was not welcome to stay in groups, etc. It was quite a shock. Some of these temples are quite well-known. They may have a "teacher" who is in some other country, but it is the Americans who run the place. Our temple is run by all Burmese monks -- from Burma, and the occasional Indian monk from India.

We found the differences to be so striking that even though we did not know the language, we also understood them (although the Indian monk and the elder Burmese monk both spoke English), and they us. Thus, we would often be the only white people in a room filled of other nationalities. In the American temples, it was mostly New Age and yuppified people who were "searching" for "answers," and still held onto American traditions (like the "no children" allowed rule -- or they must be segregated).

I guess my point is to check each one out. See how they treat you. In many other countries where Buddhism is common, the monks and the population treat each other with respect. Here, I don't know, it just doesn't feel "real." Also, in other countries the monks are pretty loose -- and funny.

If you really want to experience Buddhism, try to find one that has the majority of its members who are not from America, originally. I know that may sound awful, but I don't think most Americans "get" Buddhism as it really is in places where it originated long ago. In those countries it is a long-lived tradition, and revered.

Now, if I had gone alone, as a single person with no children, then I may have taken from the American ones something -- but that wasn't the case. Maybe I was luckier in that way, because I saw such a contrast having a kid, whereas if I had been alone, I probably would not have seen it. The American ones became very superficial to us, and they seemed to have some ego trips going on. It was weird.

I have friends who have studied Buddhism in other countries where it is prevalent and they say it is also different there. One of my friends who studied Buddhism in India for five years at many places came to our Burmese temple. She said it was the "real" thing -- even from the corny stuffed lions protecting the alter to the chintzy gaudy baubles hanging. There were no matching pillows, just a regular rug on the floor, and we sat where we wanted. No one dictated a thing. The monks were sooooo accepting and loving. It made a huge impact on both me and my daughter.

I will be forever grateful to that humble, loving, accepting temple of true Buddhists. Being in the midst of such honorable monks changed our lives.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Default ~~~*~~~

Our Dharma Center [Tibetan Buddhism - Foundation for the Preservation of Mahayana Buddhism also known as FPMT ] offers a Sunday School program from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon (timed to coordinate with our Sunday Morning Service and Dharma Talk). This program is best suited for school age children (6-12) but younger children are welcome to come with a parent until they feel comfortable. Our goal is to introduce children to universal values such as Kindness,Compassion, Generosity, etc. and will usually include a Buddhist story, short prayers, a brief meditation, and the making of a craft item. We will offer a snack as well.
You can also find Dharma items for children and adults at our on-line store
http://www.fpmt.org/shop/index.aspx?AFID=17
Snowlion Publications also has many things for children as well as adults.
http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/2.html (broken link)
We have an all inclusive practice. All means everyone.

"The whole of human history has developed on the basis of this feeling. In fact it is not limited to human beings; from the Buddhist point of view, even the tiniest insect has this feeling and, according to its capacity, is trying to gain some happiness and avoid unhappy situations." - His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 03-09-2010 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism