U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,881 times

Advertisements

Just an fyi...New excavations at the site of where pilgrims celebrate the Buddha's birth, Lumbini in Nepal, may now point to revising Buddha's date of birth. Historically, archaeology had a date no earlier than the 3rd century BC when the emperor Asoka helped spread Buddhism through South Asia. But the excavations at the site of the have now revealed timber and brick structures that go back earlier to the 6th century BC. The finding hopes to highlight the earliest expressions of Buddhist architecture and ritual practice and to serve as the 'first archaeological evidence regarding the date of the life of Buddha'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Article on the dilapidated state of most Buddhist sites in India.

Archaeology | Most Buddhist sites in India in despicable state

Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Interesting article on the construction of the now destroyed Bamiyan Buddha figures, and possible attempts to restore the figures destroyed by the Taliban.

Bamiyan Buddhas once glowed with colour - : Archaeology News from Past Horizons

Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM

39,041 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Thank you. It is too often forgotten that statues that seem to be be just bare stone (that applies to greek and Roman ones too, and I'm sure the egyptian ones) were once brilliantly or even delicately coloured.

We have at least records of the Bamiyan buddhas, but I wouldn't advise reconstruction -unless it is done somewhere else. Sad to see the lack of interest in Buddhist sites in India. Is the Buddhist community there really so small and poor that they can do nothing? Is UNESCO powerless?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 AM

I agree with you about the reconstruction of these statues. I thought as I posted the brief sentence before the link...reconstruction there? Never. The work would probably never get to take place, but if it did Muslim extremists would simply destroy it again.

My rather dated knowledge of Indian Buddhists is that most of them belonged to the untouchable castes, and, therefore, I would imagine that as a group they are not a rich community.

I think there is a building in the U.S. that is a copy of the Parthenon, and which has the frieze on the front painted as it might have been in ancient times. And as there are painted religious statues from indoor sites, I assume that those huge outdoor monuments in Egypt were probably painted in colors as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 AM

Yes. I definitely got the Impression that Indian modern Buddhism attracted Sudras and Untouchables looking for a way out of the bottom of the caste -system.

This just meant that Buddhism was regarded with some contempt and co -opting him into the list of appearances of Vishnu was effectively a means of making Buddhism obsolete.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Just an fyi...New excavations at the site of where pilgrims celebrate the Buddha's birth, Lumbini in Nepal, may now point to revising Buddha's date of birth. Historically, archaeology had a date no earlier than the 3rd century BC when the emperor Asoka helped spread Buddhism through South Asia. But the excavations at the site of the have now revealed timber and brick structures that go back earlier to the 6th century BC. The finding hopes to highlight the earliest expressions of Buddhist architecture and ritual practice and to serve as the 'first archaeological evidence regarding the date of the life of Buddha'.
Thanks. I did raise a few queries about how the site should be interpreted. But certainly a Buddhist site dated to pretty much the same few centuries is a remarkable find.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM

I came across a site for the museum at Sarnath. It's well presented. I hadn't known that there was a Buddhist museum there, though I guess I should have expected there would be one.

Archaeological Museum Sarnath

Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 AM

Thanks. Good link.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 AM

Not what is usually considered archaeology, the link below is to a series of photos taken in the 1930's of Tibetan Buddhist sites and ritual in Ulaan Bator, Mongolia

Endangered Archives Programme: Item Overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism