Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 19,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes. I recall that Buddha had no opinions about where the universe came from. That was, in Buddhist thought, a subject that was of no help in escaping the wheel of rebirth.

As to the Boddhisattvas, as Theradin -partial, Ii would see the 'guidance' argument a pretext for opting for prayers that one can just babble before doing something else rather than the more prolonged and difficult meditation to enlightenment.

Guidance is not required. The Tagathata gave all the guidance that was needed - and more. What is needed is to do it. Praying to devas and saints is an avoidance of it.
What's "Theradin"? Did you mean "Theravada"?

Either way, as one who is more Maha/Vajrayana inclined, I have to respectfully disagree about prayer and reverence to Boddhisattvas and Devas as an "avoidance". If we knew everything there is to know, then we would have already attained Nirvana, no?

Also, not all schools of Buddhism believe that meditation is key. Personally, I think chanting, cultivating compassion, metta, and good works are much more important (to me, anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Sorry. 'Theravada'. Thanks for the correction. I have been too long out of it and the ol' brain is not what it was.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, though. The teaching of the Buddha are clear. Escape from the cycle of rebirth is the goal and meditation is the method. Prayers and appeals for help are a distraction. A fatal one, if they reduce the Right Effort to ineffectiveness.

Of course, some may (as I hinted) prefer to make this life and this world better than try for Nirvana. But then Buddhism is really a bit of a mental placebo. Anyone has a right to do that if they want, but it is not what Gotama's teachings aim at.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftduff View Post
....Also, not all schools of Buddhism believe that meditation is key. Personally, I think chanting, cultivating compassion, metta, and good works are much more important (to me, anyway).
There are, of course, faith-only schools of Buddhism in which meditation is not a focus.

However, your second point doesn't seem well taken vis-à-vis Theravadan Buddhism. The Nikaya scriptures while spending plenty of time commenting and discussing the whys and wherefores of meditation devote numerous suttas to karuna, metta, mudita, etc. You have been badly misinformed if you are under the impression that compassion, loving-kindness, equanimity, etc. are intrinsic to its content and practice.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 AM

Yes. Of course those things are important as right action and right thought, but they are not intended to replace the right effort.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry. 'Theravada'. Thanks for the correction. I have been too long out of it and the ol' brain is not what it was.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, though. The teaching of the Buddha are clear. Escape from the cycle of rebirth is the goal and meditation is the method. Prayers and appeals for help are a distraction. A fatal one, if they reduce the Right Effort to ineffectiveness.

Of course, some may (as I hinted) prefer to make this life and this world better than try for Nirvana. But then Buddhism is really a bit of a mental placebo. Anyone has a right to do that if they want, but it is not what Gotama's teachings aim at.
As far as I'm concerned, Buddha's teaching were the 4 Noble truths and the 8 Fold path. That's all. Yes, that means that everything else are external trappings, but it's because of these trappings via adapting to various cultures that Buddhism has survived as long as it did. Also, meditation is a big part of Buddhism, but it is not the only practice therein. Therefore not the only "valid" method.

As long as one adheres to the 4NP and 8FP, and does their best to follow Buddha's general philosophy, then it doesn't really matter that much what else a Buddhist does with their practice. There is more to Buddhism than Zen, Theravada, or the westernized secular variety.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
There are, of course, faith-only schools of Buddhism in which meditation is not a focus.

However, your second point doesn't seem well taken vis-à-vis Theravadan Buddhism. The Nikaya scriptures while spending plenty of time commenting and discussing the whys and wherefores of meditation devote numerous suttas to karuna, metta, mudita, etc. You have been badly misinformed if you are under the impression that compassion, loving-kindness, equanimity, etc. are intrinsic to its content and practice.
I'm not Theravadan and most Buddhists aren't.

So compassion, metta, equanimity are not inherent to Buddhism? Only meditation and striving for personal nirvana? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that, and neither do the majority of Mahayana Buddhists.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 AM

As I explained, all those things are part of the path - conditions required for effective meditation to be possible. But meditation, not the no -harm, metta or giving up this or that, is the point. You may as well make a hobby of buying DIY stuff but not do any DIY - it may make you feel good and may do some incidental good (making the store -manager rich) but it is not accomplishing the goal of Buddhism.

And - as usual - public opinion does not matter, nor numbers. If that is not what Buddha's teaching were, then all the Mahayanists in China won't make it so.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftduff View Post
I'm not Theravadan and most Buddhists aren't.

So compassion, metta, equanimity are not inherent to Buddhism? Only meditation and striving for personal nirvana? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that, and neither do the majority of Mahayana Buddhists.
Sorry....sloppy proofreading on my part. I left out the NOT. Regretfully that added to misunderstanding. It should have been

....The Nikaya scriptures while spending plenty of time commenting and discussing the whys and wherefores of meditation devote numerous suttas to karuna, metta, mudita, etc. You have been badly misinformed if you are under the impression that compassion, loving-kindness, equanimity, etc. are NOT intrinsic to its content and practice.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sorry....sloppy proofreading on my part. I left out the NOT. Regretfully that added to misunderstanding. It should have been

....The Nikaya scriptures while spending plenty of time commenting and discussing the whys and wherefores of meditation devote numerous suttas to karuna, metta, mudita, etc. You have been badly misinformed if you are under the impression that compassion, loving-kindness, equanimity, etc. are NOT intrinsic to its content and practice.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding as well.

That was my point. Meditation might be centerfold for Theravada and Zen Buddhism, but I personally think metta, compassion, striving to help the world, etc., are more important. At least to my personal practice. And yes, that also includes respecting and contemplating upon the essence of various Boddisattvas and Devas.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 PM

222 posts, read 238,907 times
Quote:
The teaching of the Buddha are clear. Escape from the cycle of rebirth is the goal and meditation is the method.
No, escaping from suffering is the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism