Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 02:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

A tome is a very large book. The Cosmos is very large. Here are some snippets of the Written Holy Word of the Infinite and Only, Most High Buddhasuras.

Quote:
186. [Among all times] There are these four times. What four? Hearing Law at the right time, discussing Law at the right time, calm relaxation at the right time, and active wisdom at the right time.
~ Anguttara Nikaya II. 140
Quote:
175. Monks! Religious Leaders and Householders are most helpful to you since they provide for you your robes, bowls, lodgings and seats, medicines and the necessities for sickness. You are also most helpful to those organizers and lay-people, since [by word and example] you teach them the law that is lovely in the beginning, lovely in the middle, and lovely in the end, both in letter and in spirit. You proclaim to them the holy life in all its completeness and purity. Therefore, the holy life is lived in mutual dependence, for the crossing of the flood, for the overcoming of suffering.
~Itivuttaka 111
Quote:
165. One whose faith (i.e. trust and loyalty) in the Thatagata (Thus-being, gone, come) is settled, fixed, established, firm, unshaken by any monk or priest, any supernatural power, Enemy (Satan), Creator, or anyone in the world, can truly say: "I am the true child of the Master, born of Law, created by Law, an heir of Law.
~ Digha Nikaya III. 84

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-05-2015 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:33 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Not sure what is the gist of the above verses?

By 'law' do you mean the 'dhamma?'

Old 07-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Not sure what is the gist of the above verses?

By 'law' do you mean the 'dhamma?'
They are three separate verses that tie together in perfect harmony upon the gentle mind. Actions, Community and Scriptural Interconnectedness, and Faith.

By 'Dhamma" don't you mean "Law." It's not its own thing outside Law is it?
And no, by Law, I don't mean "law."

The Conscious-Message is a marvelous and Vast Tome of perfect harmony.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Even if debased criminals should cut you limb from limb with a chainsaw, if you then filled your mind with useless hatred, you would not be practicing my instruction ~ based on Majjhima Nikaya I, 129
Quote:
As I am, so are others; as others are, so am I. Having thus identified self and others, harm no one nor have them harmed. ~ Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Quote:
Just like a mongoose approaches a snake to seize it only after having supplied his own body with medicine, so too, the meditator (the earnest student of the mind) on approaching this wold (as filled as it is with anger and malice, plagued by quarrels, strife, contention, and hatred) must anoint his mind with the medicine of love. ~ based on Milindapanha 394
Another three verses pure in letter and in spirit.

Indeed!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:46 AM

128 posts, read 104,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
A tome is a very large book. The Cosmos is very large. Here are some snippets of the Written Holy Word of the Infinite and Only, Most High Buddhasuras.
Beautiful snippets Luminous Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism