Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Do you all know, why cow is a sacred animal?

No, it's not a trick question. I was surprised myself to find out why and, even more, that our beloved guru, Google, says nothing about the true reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:37 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
I think this belief has some very strong emotional and psychological basis that is specific to certain groups only and not a universal thing.

Generally when a group of people benefit positively in a very emotional manner they tend to make it sacred.
It is obvious the cow has contributed extensively in a many positive ways to the Indians in the sub-continent. Together with many sentimental writings in relation to the cow, the Hindus made the cow sacred.

This sort of principle is the same with other societies and groups that make certain specific things sacred for some reasons, incidents, etc.
10 Most Sacred Worshipped Animals - List Dose

Once such a belief in the sacredness of some thing is established, it really stick in the minds of the people concerned.
In some instances, this has some positive consequences for the sacred things in that many of them are saved from being extinct from being hunted or consumed to extinction, e.g. an Amazon river dolphin and others.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 AM

128 posts, read 104,090 times
Cow is considered as the sacred animal in Hinduism, but I haven't heard anything about cow being sacred in Buddhism.
According to Hindu mythology, cow is considered as the sacred since, it was the means of transport of Lord Shiva, one of the Trinity in Hinduism. Being the representation of animal of Lord Shiva as well as the messenger of people pray, Cow was considered sacred.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
The elephant has particular significance as a symbol of Buddhism (Gotama's mother imagined an elephant entering her side before she gave birth) but the cow has no particular significance so far as I know.

Ah yes, in early iconography (when there were no Buddha images but just Buddha Footprints to symbolize him) two deer were used to symbolize the deer park at Sarnath where the wheel of the Law of ..it all... was first preached.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Thank you.
Yes, I saw all that, it's posted all over the sources.
What is not posted is a beautiful story about an ancient guru, a Master, who was giving his teachings to his sanyatsus. He did this in a hut with open window and cow will come - every day, at exactly same time - and listen attentively through entire sermon - with her head in that window. She won't blink and sometimes tears will roll down her eyes.
This went on and on for years until one day, cow didn't show.
Guru stood up and said - I need to go and talk to the cow.
So he went in direction cow was coming from just to find her laying on the ground, head pointing towards his hut, dying.
Guru attended to the dying cow just like he would to a dying man and with the last drop of tear, cow passed away.
One of the sanyatsu present there, asked guru - Guru, will this cow be reborn as a man then?
No, responded guru. It does not need to be reborn. It transcended.

Cow is considered one and only animal that is capable of this. Of direct transcendence, bypassing the human stage.
This is the basis to considering cow a special animal.

Also, reminded me that a human is nothing but a spirit in a human animal body.

Be well

Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Form is irrelevant. Spirit is everything.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thank you.
Yes, I saw all that, it's posted all over the sources.
What is not posted is a beautiful story about an ancient guru, a Master, who was giving his teachings to his sanyatsus. He did this in a hut with open window and cow will come - every day, at exactly same time - and listen attentively through entire sermon - with her head in that window. She won't blink and sometimes tears will roll down her eyes.
This went on and on for years until one day, cow didn't show.
Guru stood up and said - I need to go and talk to the cow.
So he went in direction cow was coming from just to find her laying on the ground, head pointing towards his hut, dying.
Guru attended to the dying cow just like he would to a dying man and with the last drop of tear, cow passed away.
One of the sanyatsu present there, asked guru - Guru, will this cow be reborn as a man then?
No, responded guru. It does not need to be reborn. It transcended.

Cow is considered one and only animal that is capable of this. Of direct transcendence, bypassing the human stage.
This is the basis to considering cow a special animal.

Also, reminded me that a human is nothing but a spirit in a human animal body.

Be well
I hadn't heard that one, but there are some Jataka tales about animals that perform some act of merit that will catapult them to the higher level of being, next life. These are of course the former lives of the Buddha. Is it one of those?

If co, the animal is simply a being in a tale about Buddha's former lives and is certainly not an animal to be reverenced in itself.

If I have got it wrong, could you provide a link?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVe View Post
Cow is considered as the sacred animal in Hinduism, but I haven't heard anything about cow being sacred in Buddhism.
According to Hindu mythology, cow is considered as the sacred since, it was the means of transport of Lord Shiva, one of the Trinity in Hinduism. Being the representation of animal of Lord Shiva as well as the messenger of people pray, Cow was considered sacred.
I believe the cow [as with any other animals] is NOT highlighted as being sacred in Buddhism is because all animals and living things must be equally treated with compassion.

As with Hinduism, it is only those animals which are highlighted as sacred are treated with compassion and kindness while other animals are vulnerable to be treated cruelly.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 AM

128 posts, read 104,090 times
Hmm, It's the first time I have heard about such tales.
If it about Hinduism, it can be considered as a fake tale or made by people.
If it about Buddhism, I have heard about this first time.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:42 PM

I actually found the name of the Master that had this situation. Maha Raman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism