Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it easier to abandon mundane for royal family member or for common folk person?
It is easier for royal/ruler lineage 1 100.00%
It is easier for a common folk person 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I started thinking why majority of Hindu tradition buddhas came from royal or ru;lers or kshatria lineage.

Based on this:

Male vs female buddhas

I had a thought why this morning. I commute for about an hour, it's my thinking time.
Curious, what you will say?

Question posted is:
is it easier to progress into enlightenment for a lineage above mentioned, or for a common folk person? As it been said, that such progression requires great sacrifice and "look at buddhas - all of them came from rulers families. They gave up kingdoms"

Opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
I believe it is neither.

The ease to progress is depended on one's inherent drives to be enlightened which can be within any human being either, rich, king, prince, ruler, householder, beggar or poor. Thus 'nature' in this case is the critical contributing factor. 'Nurture' factors may play a role but I believe it is secondary.

I believe the stories of kings, princes and the very rich converting to Buddhism is merely send the message that materialism is not critical to life and as means to resolve one's dukkha [primal sufferings].

Old 09-02-2016, 09:14 AM

The abandonment of everything "wordily" is fine tune in practically all modern religions and sects.
If you look at list of buddhas, Hindu tradition, practically all of them came from very effluent blood line.
To the tune of "see, what THEY sacrificed?" A kingdom!

I actually think it is easier for them to make that sacrifice, than for a normal Joe, who spent his life working towards normal goals of normal life. Job, education, wife, house, investments, etc. realities of life hard earned and worked for. Then, some time later, an understanding comes - all in vane.

Born into wealth and power didn't put up all that effort. They had it served to them on the silver plate with golden margin. Gautama until age of 29 never saw a dead leaf. An old person. Anything non-esthetic or beautiful. He simply had it. He did not put any effort into obtaining all that.

Now, compare that with Joe, who put 50-60 years of his life "into it". Everything he "has" is worked hard for.

Then, both of them are in front of a life changing decision to be made. "I have to drop it all and jump into abyss of enlightenment". See where I'm headed? I feel, it is easier for one who had it given, provided, than for one, who worked for it.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Born into wealth and power didn't put up all that effort. They had it served to them on the silver plate with golden margin. Gautama until age of 29 never saw a dead leaf. An old person. Anything non-esthetic or beautiful. He simply had it. He did not put any effort into obtaining all that.
I believe the Buddha Story is a well constructed myth to deliver its intended message of the 4NT and 8FP.

It is impossible for some one at age 29 not to have observed and noted his parents and others working with him aging.
In addition is not likely Gautama never got sick in his 29 years especially during 2,500 years ago when medicine, health, etc, were not that advanced.

One will note the main elements of the Buddha Story fit too nicely with the 4NT and 8FP, and that was because it was constructed to meet its intended message.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Question posed is not true is buddha story or not. It's of quite different nature.

Namaste

Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
When you are hungry, enlightenment is of no immediate importance.

- Miss Hepburn

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Correct. The so called Maslow priorities must be satisfied before progression. Or so they say. Then again, many "ascetics" starve themselves for a fault goal of attainment via body punishment.

It's still not what I am saying. I say, it is easier for one, who had it given to him, to drop it all to attain, than for one who vested most of his life into wordly rewards achievement.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:27 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
No, a layperson, monk, or nun from a wealthy family is not more suited to the deathless.

If someone has burning desire there is never enough, no matter what the starting point.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I rejected all my family's 'comforts'....went on my spiritual journey at 19.
What happiness did their comfortable living ever bring them?
Rich children see that clearly, my opinion.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Sigh...

It's still not what I am saying.

I am saying, it is easier to sacrifice a kingdom that was given to you, than a property and some comforts of life, that you have worked hard for your entire life.

Namaste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism