Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 08:58 PM

128 posts, read 100,013 times

Advertisements

"Let be the past, let be the future. I shall teach you the dhamma; when this exists, that comes to be: with the arising of this, that arises. When this does not exist, that does not come to be; with the cessation of this that ceases"
Majjhima Nikaya, Sutta 79

This is the concept of innerconnectedness. That all things interact, and when something arises, something is diminished. This is conditioned arising. It is also samudaya and nirodha.

This sutta is powerful. Every time I read it, I have a new insight. This concept predicates dukkha, the cause of dukkha, and its treatment. In other words, The Four Noble Truths. It is also anicca, impermanence, which is accepted by all Buddhists.

Who out there has studied the Pali Canon?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Comments?
That one who knows the past, knows only future.
He does not know present.
One who knows present knows neither past nor future.

Kindly visit Philosophy forum, we have discussion there "Do we live in present". I don't want to be redundant.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,257 times
BrianB, I have read parts of the Pali Canon, in translation, but am no expert. I took refuge in the Mahayana almost 40 years ago, so know that way better.

Consider this discussion group of many who know Pali and have studied deeply that Canon:

https://dhammawheel.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism