Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 PM

678 posts, read 429,435 times

Advertisements

How would you pray for a friend with major health problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Buddhism really doesn't teach that you can pray for something. Who would you pray to? Buddha is dead, and he's not a guy.

I think (and this is just me) that the approach would be more on how to deal with the situation.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
While it is true that (fairly uneducated) Buddhists can pray for their auntie to be healed, and Buddha get the credit when the expensive western medicine works, or high profile piublicity stunt like a mass prayer for peace might be put on, Buddhism isn't about interceding for others, let alone appealing to some Power (1) to heal them. Not because Buddhists don't care, but the only person they can do anything for with Buddhism is themselves. For everything else, practical and worldly help and care is what is wanted.

(1) they certainly should not be praying to Buddha to do a healing because, if Buddha (of all people) hasn't entered Nirvana and is still extant and conscious and able to do miracles, then all the teachings of Buddhism are false.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
...tif Buddha (of all people) hasn't entered Nirvana and is still extant and conscious and able to do miracles, then all the teachings of Buddhism are false.
No. That's not correct, in my view.

There are really 2 parts to Buddhism. One part is the whole nibanna thing. Yes, what you said would apply to that part.

The equally important part of Buddhism is how to reduce or eliminate various forms of suffering in your life. The advice in the Buddhist scriptures related to that would not be affected by your premise above.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I thought they would not pray to anyone or for anything....but to their higher self...
their limitless higher consciousness to open their hearts and minds to compassion and
wisdom in Oneness...
Am I wrong?
Also, it would be a technique of quieting the monkey mind...a focusing technique.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought they would not pray to anyone or for anything....but to their higher self...
their limitless higher consciousness to open their hearts and minds to compassion and
wisdom in Oneness...
Am I wrong?
Also, it would be a technique of quieting the monkey mind...a focusing technique.
Let's put it this way. Buddhists in Thailand often pray to Buddha for all sorts of things, including winning lottery tickets. But most monks would disagree with that practice.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 PM

121 posts, read 105,870 times
Humor them....Calming effect some get from prayer is worth your discomfort. Let him/her lead or ask the Chaplin to stop by.

I just pray in public to be polite. Would not be allowed to go to church in this area, is too much of a hate monger situation afoot about the older people who met the old sex abuse situation here. The new people don't know what used to go on...Is barking dog stupid...But no one would give you a job, of course not.

My connection to the churches was severed too...Screwed too many times, even working for them. Just too much of a sham covering up the community's dirty secrets and little else ... I NEVER DISCUSS THIS BTW WITH NEW ONES, OLD ONES WERE TOLD BY THEIR CHURCHES TO DISOWN SOME OF US OR START TO HARM US. 'Born again' means dead to some of us now in sick communities...

I'm in the wrong topic. Sorry...Was told only the troubled in community attend the Buddist temple worships to get the evil spirits to go away...

I think it's some incense thing...Why not ask?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
Humor them....Calming effect some get from prayer is worth your discomfort. Let him/her lead or ask the Chaplin to stop by.

I just pray in public to be polite. Would not be allowed to go to church in this area, is too much of a hate monger situation afoot about the older people who met the old sex abuse situation here. The new people don't know what used to go on...Is barking dog stupid...But no one would give you a job, of course not.

My connection to the churches was severed too...Screwed too many times, even working for them. Just too much of a sham covering up the community's dirty secrets and little else ... I NEVER DISCUSS THIS BTW WITH NEW ONES, OLD ONES WERE TOLD BY THEIR CHURCHES TO DISOWN SOME OF US OR START TO HARM US. 'Born again' means dead to some of us now in sick communities...

I'm in the wrong topic. Sorry...Was told only the troubled in community attend the Buddist temple worships to get the evil spirits to go away...

I think it's some incense thing...Why not ask?

What the hey are you talking about?

Old 10-27-2017, 12:14 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Op, it is not that hard.
Sit comfortably.
Does not have to be a lotus pose, simply sitting on a chair relaxed, back straight, arms relaxed with hands on your thighs palms up. You do not have to do any special hand or finger gestures. Just sit in close to this position, being as comfortable as possible.
Find a quiet moment of the day or night. You have to be in peaceful mood. That is very important.
Leave all the world worries behind.
breathe normally. No need to do anything special. Just whatever feels physiologically normal.
Remeber, any effort becomes a goal and you do not have that goal.
Maybe even humm something. Whatever keeps or helps you to put yourself into relaxed, peaceful and pleasant condition.
When you feel like it, think of your relative.
Think in pleasant, friendly manner.
All you want to do is to create a positive thinking about that person. Do not specifically ask for healing.
Simply surround her in the cocoon of your positive thinking. her mental image. Mybe even share some of your wellbeing with her.
Again, no need to specifically wish for healing or such.
That's it.
Thing is, AIM of your thinking is known to your Thinker. As such, positive in your thinking will be accordingly relayed onto the AIM of your thinking.
That positive will reach that person.
Also, absolutely, and this is most important, do NOT ever think that you are doing something noble, something special. For this to work, you indeed have to have positive attitude towards that person and aim should be pure. Any slefishness in it will vitiate it.
In nutshell - send you love. That is it. Unconditionally. Send and forget about it.

Be well and let The Light be with you

Namaste

Old 10-27-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Op, it is not that hard.
Sit comfortably.
Does not have to be a lotus pose, simply sitting on a chair relaxed, back straight, arms relaxed with hands on your thighs palms up. You do not have to do any special hand or finger gestures. Just sit in close to this position, being as comfortable as possible.
Find a quiet moment of the day or night. You have to be in peaceful mood. That is very important.
Leave all the world worries behind.
breathe normally. No need to do anything special. Just whatever feels physiologically normal.
Remeber, any effort becomes a goal and you do not have that goal.
Maybe even humm something. Whatever keeps or helps you to put yourself into relaxed, peaceful and pleasant condition.
When you feel like it, think of your relative.
Think in pleasant, friendly manner.
All you want to do is to create a positive thinking about that person. Do not specifically ask for healing.
Simply surround her in the cocoon of your positive thinking. her mental image. Mybe even share some of your wellbeing with her.
Again, no need to specifically wish for healing or such.
That's it.
Thing is, AIM of your thinking is known to your Thinker. As such, positive in your thinking will be accordingly relayed onto the AIM of your thinking.
That positive will reach that person.
Also, absolutely, and this is most important, do NOT ever think that you are doing something noble, something special. For this to work, you indeed have to have positive attitude towards that person and aim should be pure. Any slefishness in it will vitiate it.
In nutshell - send you love. That is it. Unconditionally. Send and forget about it.

Be well and let The Light be with you

Namaste
Well, we're very into evidence in this forum. What is your evidence that such warm fuzzy feelings are...what...teletransported?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism