Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which state are you in?
New Mexico. I've lived on the West Coast, too, and there were no Theravada centers listed in several cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora;51262518[B
]I've read so much throughout my life on what the Buddha wrote and taught, [/b]and never have come across the concepts of heaven or hell. You would think that would be a huge part of his teachings if indeed he taught that?

Elimination of human suffering through attachments and ending the cycle of rebirth are some of the main teachings...there is nothing about heaven or hell in any of Buddha's teachings.

Don't believe everything you watch on YouTube...American interpretations of Buddhism are not to be trusted.
I think that's the issue, here; you've read books about Buddhism, but it sounds like you haven't studied the suttas much, IOW, studying the Buddha's words (as close as we can get to them) directly.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:28 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
As I have learned, it is great to have a monk you can call a friend. But that doesn't mean they have all the right answers.
Trust me I know this! No one has all the RIGHT answeres! No one!

This was his response:
Quote:
I read your both messages. Glad to hear from you, first of all.

Buddhism accepts after-death existence, of course. You mentioned those places in your last message, which is correct. However, the difference, according to Buddhism, is that a person is not doomed to be any of these places for ever. One is reborn in a happy world or a sad place according to one's Karmic energy. Once that karmic energy is over, one will be reborn again at a different place. that is the difference. A heavenly place of existence or a hellish world is not a permanent place for a person.

One roams in the universe like this until one attain Nirvana, which is the final bliss. Nirvana is not a place; rather, it is a mental acquisition by totally eliminating greed, ill-will, and illusion.

Believe I have answered your question briefly.
Then I responded with this:
Quote:
Hi Rahula,

Thank you for the response.

The only issue I see is that humans are also animals. We are an animal species and belong in the Great Apes category. We evolved from a common ancestor of the chimpanzee...a common ancestor.

Additionally the human animal species is the worst of all animal species...you cannot blame any other animal species on the damages and suffering we find on earth...the only species responsible for this is the human animal species. Being an animal is not below being a human animal. I my opinion other animal species are much kinder and much more civil and live in harmony with this earth. Humans have a lot to learn from the other animal species.

Why does Buddhism not consider these facts?
I will let you know what he says.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think that's the issue, here; you've read books about Buddhism, but it sounds like you haven't studied the suttas much, IOW, studying the Buddha's words (as close as we can get to them) directly.
Yes and I stand corrected!

What I did was study the philosophies of Buddhism and the practices of meditation, Lucid Dreaming and yoga.

I learned to only hold onto what resonated with me and forget the rest.

Hopefully this clears up my mis-statements on the matter.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes and I stand corrected!

What I did was study the philosophies of Buddhism and the practices of meditation, Lucid Dreaming and yoga.

I learned to only hold onto what resonated with me and forget the rest.

Hopefully this clears up my mis-statements on the matter.
I, too, was unaware that the Buddha had taught about 31 realms of existence, and heaven and hell, until roughly 10 years ago, when I joined a Buddhist forum. I'd only read books about the basics (4 Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, practicing compassion, and other concepts, like emptiness, and no-self, etc.) I've learned a lot, just from watching people discuss the sutras, on Buddhist forums. It was eye-opening. Kind of changed my image of Buddhism, to some extent. So I understand your reaction.

Now, I'm interested in questions of the historical development of the canon as it exists now; the Buddha's early teachings vs. his later teachings, some of which contradict some early teachings; the discovery and translation of the Gandhari scrolls, that show that the roots of Mahayana doctrines existed simultaneously with what was then "Hinayana"; and issues of authenticity of some teachings. (Claims that some elements in the Pali canon are the result of Hindu influence). I haven't gone into these matters very deeply, but I find them interesting.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
New Mexico. I've lived on the West Coast, too, and there were no Theravada centers listed in several cities.
There are 2 in Albuquerque and 1 in Santa Fe.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
There are 2 in Albuquerque and 1 in Santa Fe.
Where is the one in Santa Fe? It didn't come up in an online search, for me.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Where is the one in Santa Fe? It didn't come up in an online search, for me.
Santa Fe Vipassana Sangha
Address: Santa Fe NM 87502
Tradition: Theravada, Vipassana, Insight Meditation
Phone: (505) 989-7610
E-mail: info@santafevipassana.org
Visiting Teachers:: Eric Kolvig, DaeJa Napier, Jason Siff
Notes and Events:

Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Tibetan style Buddhism in Latin America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPy4W5lbyXM

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Tibetan style Buddhism in Latin America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPy4W5lbyXM
Diamond Way Buddhism isn't authentic Tibetan Buddhism. It's Ole Nydahl's highly idiosyncratic and cultic take on TB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism