Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
however the thread is about meditation in Buddhism.
And I have addressed, previously, that mediation does not equal prayer.

But that's me.

You may believe anything you wish.

I wasn't aware you were Buddhist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 PM

If you go on Buddhist forums, probably the two most debated issues are:

1. is Buddhism a religion or a philosophy?
2. how does karma work?

Buddhism just isn't full of the rules and regulations that are so common in most religions where you must believe or do "x". It's an out-of-the-box thinking religion and/or philosophy.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I have addressed, previously, that mediation does not equal prayer.

But that's me.

You may believe anything you wish.

I wasn't aware you were Buddhist.
no, i am not Buddhist.
i never said i was.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-04-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 05:30 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
I use the words “prayerful meditation.”
Sometimes it is just sitting in silence, sometimes it is just listening, sometimes it is deep inquiry with questioning and response.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I use the words “prayerful meditation.”
Sometimes it is just sitting in silence, sometimes it is just listening, sometimes it is deep inquiry with questioning and response.
And I think that's very important in Buddhist meditation. It's not just one thing.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Once again, Urkrkoz speaks and everyone is just supposed to agree. Perhaps we should worship Ukrkoz.

True meditation is when you focus on your thoughts.
In prayer you are asking for something or thanking for something.
No, not always. We do something in the Christian contemplative tradition called centering prayer.

It might not be exactly like meditation, but it is specifically NOT asking for something. It is different from how you describe meditation above as it is the opposite of focusing on your thoughts. It is based on the thought that "the first language of God is silence". You have a word of your choosing, but it is not repeated like a mantra. You use the word to get you started, to "give consent to God to enter", and then you sit in silence, usually for 20 minutes, but people who do this practice regularly often go for longer periods.

It is acknowledged that you cannot stop yourself from thinking, but the practice is to just let thoughts go and drift away without dwelling on them. If you find yourself caught up in a thought, you use your word to bring you back to the place of silence.

When I am in my usual habitat (I travel regularly to an alternative location 500 miles from my home) I try to meet up with the centering prayer group on Thursday nights. There are usually four or five people in our group.

Nothing magical happens at the time, except perhaps some peace and relaxation, but the results of the practice become apparent in the individual over time.

ETA: I read your subsequent posts, phetaroi, about this being the Buddhist forum, and you are correct. However, your statement that I bolded above was not completely true, and so I chose to share this information. You have been around here long enough that you know I am not trying to convert anyone to my spiritual path.

As we Episcopalians say, "Peace be with you".

Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Tonight I'm going to meditate on whether or not I should start visiting the Christian forum on a regular basis.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Tonight I'm going to meditate on whether or not I should start visiting the Christian forum on a regular basis.
If you are seeking peace, don't go THERE!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
But Buddhism is not only about meditation.
Right.
Just an aside for anyone that cares...Seth....from 'Seth Speaks', 'The Nature of Personal Reality', etc....said Buddha got it right...the closest concept of what Reality is and how it works. (my paraphrase)

Old 06-08-2018, 08:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
It's an out-of-the-box thinking religion and/or philosophy.
YES!
I love the way you put it! ....and a way of life...a way of perceiving the world that is not
''the typical Western mind's way."

My take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism