Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times

Advertisements

I believe in ONLY one God. I am a Hindu. when I was 13, my cousin introduced me to supernatural stuff and I kind of went along with it as I was scared of him as I was young and naive. He told me not to pray to something called spirits (can be good or bad) or genies as this is what magicians do and this is a large sin. I for a laugh when I was 13, said halfheartedly "Oh Jinn, you are God, show me a magic trick and how to do it.” I can't remember that. I knew that this was a sin, but didn't know of how bad it was. For some reason, this action I did 6 years ago popped into my head as I am quite lonely and stressed during coronavirus lock-down. I regret the decision so much, I have been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night in the last month. All my confidence and happiness has gone. I for some reason think that I am going Hell eternally. I have prayed to God multiple times from the bottom of my heart asking for forgiveness. I am scared of the worst possible outcome which is Eternal Hell. I love God with all my heart. I think I can never be forgiven and I do not how to live the remainder of my life peacefully. When I measure my heart beat, I get about 110-130 beats per minute which frightens me. I am 19 now. My mum and dad have informed that there is nothing to worry about at all and that God shows unconditional love and forgiveness to those who repent from the bottom of their heart. They went onto say that I was young, naive and foolish and Jinns do not exist. Please can you answer if I am forgiven and what can I do to stop worrying about the afterlife? I feel so unnerved and on edge. I struggle to remember tasks and find it difficult to enjoy my normal hobbies such as going for walks with parents and watching television. I feel scared as well of what the future awaits for me and worry a lot if I can get a good job or be a good and happy father for when I have children in about 10 years. I feel as though I have done the biggest and most unforgivable sin in the eyes of God and will be in Hell forever. Please can you tell me how to stop worrying and if I have been forgiven. Thank you, looking forward to your reply. May God bless you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 04:26 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
what exactly about this forum made you think you can get an answer here?

Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 478,639 times
I am not a Buddhist or a Hindu, nor do I relate to what the religions of this world have become.

The reason that I respond is because from a very young age, I said to myself that I am surely going to hell, so what I did, didn't matter and I did a whole lot of evil, bad stuff. So, I relate to what you are feeling.

In my mid to late twenties I reached the point of brokenness and cried out to the One True God, and God opened my heart, mind and eyes to the Life He shares. And I have listened too and followed His word ever since then, which points me home. I have suffered through many corrections since then, and I love correction, because it is not there to make a fool of me, but to set me straight and through all that I know that I am loved. And I came to see and know that God was with me through it all.

You don't need me talking to you. Hearing and knowing for yourself, is what sets you at ease and gives you peace, and all those other voices can't mislead you. God knows each persons time, and all I can say is pray to the One True God and wait patiently and expectedly for an answer.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMehta1 View Post
I believe in ONLY one God. I am a Hindu. when I was 13, my cousin introduced me to supernatural stuff and I kind of went along with it as I was scared of him as I was young and naive. He told me not to pray to something called spirits (can be good or bad) or genies as this is what magicians do and this is a large sin. I for a laugh when I was 13, said halfheartedly "Oh Jinn, you are God, show me a magic trick and how to do it.” I can't remember that. I knew that this was a sin, but didn't know of how bad it was. For some reason, this action I did 6 years ago popped into my head as I am quite lonely and stressed during coronavirus lock-down. I regret the decision so much, I have been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night in the last month. All my confidence and happiness has gone. I for some reason think that I am going Hell eternally. I have prayed to God multiple times from the bottom of my heart asking for forgiveness. I am scared of the worst possible outcome which is Eternal Hell. I love God with all my heart. I think I can never be forgiven and I do not how to live the remainder of my life peacefully. When I measure my heart beat, I get about 110-130 beats per minute which frightens me. I am 19 now. My mum and dad have informed that there is nothing to worry about at all and that God shows unconditional love and forgiveness to those who repent from the bottom of their heart. They went onto say that I was young, naive and foolish and Jinns do not exist. Please can you answer if I am forgiven and what can I do to stop worrying about the afterlife? I feel so unnerved and on edge. I struggle to remember tasks and find it difficult to enjoy my normal hobbies such as going for walks with parents and watching television. I feel scared as well of what the future awaits for me and worry a lot if I can get a good job or be a good and happy father for when I have children in about 10 years. I feel as though I have done the biggest and most unforgivable sin in the eyes of God and will be in Hell forever. Please can you tell me how to stop worrying and if I have been forgiven. Thank you, looking forward to your reply. May God bless you
1. That is a serious heartbeat for you age. Normal is considered to be anything under 100. Is that for long periods of time, caused by something like eating or exercise, or just on a regular basis?

2. At 19, you're an adult now. Time to start thinking for yourself...which it appears you are starting to do. Think things over and remember, just because you've been taught something, that doesn't mean it's true.

3. However, I have to ask one question -- why are you posting this in a Buddhist subforum. Buddhism is not a god-based belief system.

Last edited by phetaroi; 07-12-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 06:45 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMehta1 View Post
.... I am scared of the worst possible outcome which is Eternal Hell. ... I think I can never be forgiven and I do not how to live the remainder of my life peacefully. When I measure my heart beat, I get about 110-130 beats per minute which frightens me. I am 19 now.

...Please can you answer if I am forgiven and what can I do to stop worrying about the afterlife? I feel so unnerved and on edge Please can you tell me how to stop worrying and if I have been forgiven.
I've edited down the original response to focus in on key areas, for comment.

- It sounds like you are seeking the Christian forum (with asking about matters such as eternal life, forgiveness, hell, etc.) But this is the Buddhism forum.

- Even with Christianity, none of us could (or should) speak for God, and say whether or not you are forgiven.That's between you and him (or the higher power, universe, etc.)

- You are obviously working yourself into an intense stressful frenzy, and likely hurting your body (and mind and spirit). It's unclear where all of that came from, but no one should be putting his or herself through that.

- You are young, and just starting to explore life. You are in no position to be trying to set yourself up as though you should know so much. Give yourself time to explore and learn, and see that all of it is good and necessary. Even harmful matters can be teaching and instructive, so look for lessons in every day life, and embrace them.

- Take care of your body, as a unique and one-of-a-kind living vessel unlike any other. Value your uniqueness and place in the universe. Maybe take a look and all those wonderful insects and animals around us. They would never treat themselves in a harsh way. They nurture and take care of themselves, sustaining themselves as best as possible, as you should too.

- Instead of looking for error and failure (and punishment), look at opportunities and learning and giving. If you can't think in healthy ways about yourself, then put your attention on others. Maybe there's someone to say a kind word to, give a helpful hand with something, volunteer your time for. It's hard to feel miserable when your helping the world be a better place.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-12-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 09:04 PM

802 posts, read 983,762 times
The op might have stumbled into the right forum, after all.
Maybe by reading through the other threads and posts in this forum,
something may be helpful. At the very least, it may be a positive step forward.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 4,151 times
God is beautiful and we all must ask for foregiveness..

Old 07-12-2020, 10:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steerax View Post
God is beautiful and we all must ask for foregiveness..
Inappropriate for the Buddhist sub-forum.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:33 PM

802 posts, read 983,762 times
It seems like mindfulness would be a good starting place for JayMehta1.
It might calm the heart and the mind and the spirit.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
This belongs to general R&S section. Also, to Health and Wellness. There's a quite a mental disorder going on, that may be helped with by a skilled physician. Or, therapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism