U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2010, 04:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,957,138 times

Advertisements

So the other day I went to go for a bike ride, realize that my bike has been stolen from my garage in East Amherst (very nice and safe neighborhood). Call the police to make the report, they say that there has been a string of thefts in the area. Then this morning wake up to find my car broken into, iPod stolen, GSP, first aid kit, chargers, etc. I call the PD again. They ask if I want to make the report (yes). They tell me they'll be there sometime this week, I ask why so long. There were over 70 car thefts last night!

I never thought I'd say this, but I no longer feel safe in East Amherst. I used to go to work and not worry about locking up if I forgot, now we have people stealing in massive numbers.

One thing that Amherst really had going for it was safety - it's nothing special as far as suburbs, but almost no crime.

Does anyone have a guess as to what's causing this? I don't like getting racial but I asked the police if they had any descriptions so I can look out - all dark males. I'm guessing from outside of my neighborhood/zip code because my area is pretty much just rich whites, rich Arabs, rich blacks, and rich Jews. Not the stealing demographic, not to mention the % black in my zip is the lowest in WNY...

So why is theft up in Amherst? I know Buffalo is bad, has it finally spilled over?

I think that they will learn quick, many people around here keep guns at home, and my guess is that it's a matter of time before we hear a mother on TV crying about how her "good boy" must not have been stealing when he got loaded with 12 gauge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM

119 posts, read 221,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
So the other day I went to go for a bike ride, realize that my bike has been stolen from my garage in East Amherst (very nice and safe neighborhood). Call the police to make the report, they say that there has been a string of thefts in the area. Then this morning wake up to find my car broken into, iPod stolen, GSP, first aid kit, chargers, etc. I call the PD again. They ask if I want to make the report (yes). They tell me they'll be there sometime this week, I ask why so long. There were over 70 car thefts last night!

I never thought I'd say this, but I no longer feel safe in East Amherst. I used to go to work and not worry about locking up if I forgot, now we have people stealing in massive numbers.

One thing that Amherst really had going for it was safety - it's nothing special as far as suburbs, but almost no crime.

Does anyone have a guess as to what's causing this? I don't like getting racial but I asked the police if they had any descriptions so I can look out - all dark males. I'm guessing from outside of my neighborhood/zip code because my area is pretty much just rich whites, rich Arabs, rich blacks, and rich Jews. Not the stealing demographic, not to mention the % black in my zip is the lowest in WNY...

So why is theft up in Amherst? I know Buffalo is bad, has it finally spilled over?

I think that they will learn quick, many people around here keep guns at home, and my guess is that it's a matter of time before we hear a mother on TV crying about how her "good boy" must not have been stealing when he got loaded with 12 gauge.

Is it spilling over? Yes, it is, to the first ring suburbs - Eggertsville, Kenmore, Cheektowaga. (although I live in Kenmore and have never felt unsafe, though I do always lock my car). I don't think it's spilled over all the way to East Amherst. 70 car thefts in one night? I think that's an exaggeration on someone's part. Perhaps the police department's, as an excuse for not responding more quickly?

Even if your hypothesis is correct, that it's gangs from the inner city, for them to break into 70 cars in one night it'd have to be a gang of monumental proportions!

I don't think the good people of EA have anything to worry about regarding crime.

As far as citizen's right to bear arms, well I'm all for that. If anyone were to break into my home, and if I were to feel that myself or wife were in danger, they (or their survivors) may end up wishing they chose a different house.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, she may have said last week... That makes more sense. She did definitely say that there have been lots.

Still, it's annoying to be worried about getting broken into.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 PM

3,977 posts, read 5,719,750 times
I taught in the city. Everyone is a "good boy" until a crime is committed (mostly we knew they were problems in school, but that doesn't stop the families from saying that). Personally, I really doubt your thefts were people coming all the way out from the city -- far too obvious (even if wearing a hoodie, esp. in summer) -- you probably had spoiled brats from your own area or a nearby burb, or maybe north in Nia. Falls. Why? Because there are not enough "safe" getaway routes back to the city of Buffalo... and all have cameras.

Safety is always what you are going to make it. We were robbed close to 20 years ago and it was a gang of white kids from the Southtowns who the cops said would hit 3 houses a night or so in one town, then go on to another, etc. The only real aggravation was we had to get an alarm. I live backed up to a farm.

Lock your doors, hide the valuables and don't assume that living in EA makes you immune from breakins.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,546,629 times
schools out and the kids are looking for money imho. I remember when they would go car to car here at night in Wiliamsville, looking for unlocked cars and just take change and if an ipod was there of course they would take that as well.

I assume if you live in EA you have an attached garage, if the bike was in your garage when it was stolen, thats a felony I believe because of your garage being attached to the home - just saying ..........

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM

I also know that New Yorks Castle Doctrine would at that point allow me to use lethal force to defend myself and property... Just remember that if any of you punks are reading this

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,946,560 times
Not to be an ass but why would you leave an Ipod, GPS, etc in your car over night? Crime happens & criminals seek out areas like East Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence etc because people believe their little town is immune to crime & are more likely to leave things in their vehicles or outside over night. Its pretty naive to think that it cant happen to you because you live in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Not to be an ass but why would you leave an Ipod, GPS, etc in your car over night? Crime happens & criminals seek out areas like East Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence etc because people believe their little town is immune to crime & are more likely to leave things in their vehicles or outside over night. Its pretty naive to think that it cant happen to you because you live in a good neighborhood.
They were in my glove box. I didn't expect my window to get punched out by some goon from Buffalo.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,546,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
They were in my glove box. I didn't expect my window to get punched out by some goon from Buffalo.

or from the doctors kid next door right????

Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
or from the doctors kid next door right????
I live in a very small and somewhat secluded neighborhood, one neighbor has two toddlers, the others are couples. Only 7 houses in the division.

We have quick access to Maple. Unless my wealthy neighbors have gotten desperate or a four year managed to work a center punch, it was from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area