Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times

Advertisements

The Tropical Rainforest itself is worth the rather low admission price. It alone cost about $10 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,276 times
In Defense of Animals ~ News Release

Buffalo Zoo came off the list the next year but is known for having some of the worst animal habitats in the country. While it was built in an era where that was the norm it should have been torn down back when it was proposed to relocate (10 years ago). Fine if people want a zoo, making it a petting zoo with small animals and if people want a large animal zoo build something remotely large enough in all the vacant land in Buffalo (can you have a waterfront zoo?)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
In Defense of Animals ~ News Release

Buffalo Zoo came off the list the next year but is known for having some of the worst animal habitats in the country. While it was built in an era where that was the norm it should have been torn down back when it was proposed to relocate (10 years ago). Fine if people want a zoo, making it a petting zoo with small animals and if people want a large animal zoo build something remotely large enough in all the vacant land in Buffalo (can you have a waterfront zoo?)
A part of that could be due to the fact that it is one of the oldest zoos in the US(3rd oldest behind Philadelphia and NYC's Central Park Zoo). Maybe a relocation would be good, but I would think that expansion would be the way most people would go.

A sidenote, the 5th oldest zoo in the US is Binghamton's Ross Park Zoo. Interesting......

Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 AM

CK i don't know if you've ever seen the Buff zoo but there really isn't room for expansion unless they took over the park which in itself is one of the better places in the city. There's an element in Buffalo that oppose any change. Did anyone really believe Bass Pro could be the anchor of a waterfront development? But you could have a massive amount of space dedicated to parks, zoos (which I oppose on moral grounds but accept that most people enjoy them) recreation. Once the area became an attraction retailers would swarm and not need to be begged to come. My vision for the waterfront:
1) parks- including zoos, dog park, biking, walking, crosscountry skiing and snowshoe trails
2) attractions- indoor/outdoor waterpark (run by county city, revenues stay with gov't)
3) SAFE beach development
4) board controls what is built. Meaning use some discrimination to determine what type of business is developed.
5) outdoor amphitheater for concerts

Who wants to see a bunch of big box retailers open up, and in 10 years there's another area with a bunch of neglected empty buildings. Turning the waterfront into an attraction could draw more people to an area. Bass Pro, Best Buy and Walmart are not an attraction.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
CK i don't know if you've ever seen the Buff zoo but there really isn't room for expansion unless they took over the park which in itself is one of the better places in the city. There's an element in Buffalo that oppose any change. Did anyone really believe Bass Pro could be the anchor of a waterfront development? But you could have a massive amount of space dedicated to parks, zoos (which I oppose on moral grounds but accept that most people enjoy them) recreation. Once the area became an attraction retailers would swarm and not need to be begged to come. My vision for the waterfront:
1) parks- including zoos, dog park, biking, walking, crosscountry skiing and snowshoe trails
2) attractions- indoor/outdoor waterpark (run by county city, revenues stay with gov't)
4) board controls what is built. Meaning use some discrimination to determine what type of business is developed.

Who wants to see a bunch of big box retailers open up, and in 10 years there's another area with a bunch of neglected empty buildings. Turning the waterfront into an attraction could draw more people to an area. Bass Pro, Best Buy and Walmart are not an attraction.

Oh my, this is the second time Ive been in total agreement with you today. I think I need to step away from the keyboard for awhile

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

259 posts, read 939,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
When was the last time you were at the zoo? They have spent over $50 million on upgrades over the past 5 years. The undergound sea lion tanks are great are the Tropical Rain Forest.The new petting zoo in the canal era barn that was moved to the zoo this year from Niagara County is awesome for the kids.

Buffalo Zoo News
It the Area!! The area has changed! If they spend several million dollars to deport the elements and to redevelop the Neighborhoods south of the park then it would be ok. They should remove the BasketBall hoops and Sitting Benches on the south end and then Maybe and only maybe would the park return to its height and glory of Marlin Perkins

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Perkins

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM

"deport the elememts" what does that mean? I hope not what I think. Get rid of the basketball hoops? The park is for the residents of the city. Those basketball hoops are much used and much loved. Just because it's not your scene doesn't mean it should go away.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:19 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times
Quote:
"deport the elememts" what does that mean? I hope not what I think. Get rid of the basketball hoops? The park is for the residents of the city. Those basketball hoops are much used and much loved. Just because it's not your scene doesn't mean it should go away.
Amen

Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

Good points and ideas. Maybe something like this could even work, if planned right: Onondaga County Parks, OLP (http://onondagacountyparks.com/olp - broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM

209 posts, read 538,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Oh my, this is the second time Ive been in total agreement with you today. I think I need to step away from the keyboard for awhile
I agree with you both, however; big box stores do not have to LOOK like big box stores. Just take a look around NYC and you will find BB&B and the like all over the place and you wouldn't even know they were there unless someone pointed them out to you.

Buffalo has 4 beautiful seasons and the lake to build upon. It should learn from Chicago, but not try to 'be' another Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area