Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm not the one acerting that the chain was created by an upstate NYer, as you said he may have just been born in NY then his family moved. This guy was born in 1857 who know what his life consisted of....
Well if he was born in 1857, then the entire world was different including NY. So it's not really fair to dig at NY and say even back them people were looking for greener pastures. The state's population increasing then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well if he was born in 1857, then the entire world was different including NY. So it's not really fair to dig at NY and say even back them people were looking for greener pastures. The state's population increasing then.
It's a joke... I was teasing ckhthankgod for point out that Targets founder was born in NY...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Yeah, NY State does give tax breaks to bigger business but it seems to be the small businesses here that suffer from the taxes. I do think weather plays a bigger role than people think in terms of business location, but that doesn't mean they can't attract any business. I mean look at Minneapolis, they don't seem to have a problem attracting business (have several fortune 500 companies if I'm not mistaking) and the temperatures are just as cold as Buffalo, nor is it on a coast.

Minneapolis is not attracting new businesses. The city is nurturing the businesses already there. Much of the business in Minneapolis is "home grown".

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM

93,278 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
It's a joke... I was teasing ckhthankgod for point out that Targets founder was born in NY...
I got it. Don't worry. Dayton was 26 when he arrived in Minneapolis. So, I'm assuming that he was raised in Clifton Springs as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Minneapolis is not attracting new businesses. The city is nurturing the businesses already there. Much of the business in Minneapolis is "home grown".
Which means that its economy is more organic and that is what Upstate NY needs to get back too. Like I mentioned on here or another thread, many of the companies that made Upstate NY great were started by Upstate NYers. Woolworth was from Rodman, Eastman was from Waterville and Carrier was from Angola.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which means that its economy is more organic and that is what Upstate NY needs to get back too. Like I mentioned on here or another thread, many of the companies that made Upstate NY great were started by Upstate NYers. Woolworth was from Rodman, Eastman was from Waterville and Carrier was from Angola.
Don't forget billionaire Tom Golisano too. Founded Paychex in Rochester 1971. A native of Irondequoit, NY, Golisano is a graduate of the State University of New York at Alfred.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
I don't think any one would argue that many great buisness leaders have come from upstate, what I ask is where are those buisnesses now? I do realise that many like Woolworths went the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think any one would argue that many great buisness leaders have come from upstate, what I ask is where are those buisnesses now? I do realise that many like Woolworths went the way of the dinosaurs.
Did you look at the thread with the job postings? It isn't like there aren't companies up here at all. While many of those companies are gone or downsized, my point was about growing the economy organically, like it was done in years past. That was the case for Upstate NY when you look at the companies that employed many people. GE was founded in Schenectady and Endicott-Johnson and IBM in the Bnghamton area. Those weren't companies that were taken from another state or brought in. Hence, my reason for saying that the economy has to grow from within. I'm not saying that all is well, but there are some smaller companies that are around.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
You might be right, however, the lack of "risk taking mindset" has protected us from the bubbles and busts throughout recent history.

People here don't have their lives wiped out due to a CEO's "risk taking mindset", generally..
I don't consider Wall Street firms to be the measuring stick for the all CEOs or the business/entrepreneur world.

Quote:
We have both a spending, and a revenue problem. Hardly a regulation problem. I like clean air, clean water, good hunting grounds stocked with game, and safe working conditions.
There is regulation and over-regulation.

Quote:
Some companies will always move, once their welfare runs out. We have the same issue with HSBC: Once Buffalo refused to be held hostage by a corporation dangling a sword of Damocles over our head, a local bank (FN) stepped in, and is experiencing huge growth.
Confused on what the corporate welfare that HSBC has gotten. Not arguing that they didn't, but I don't remember reading or hearing about it.

Quote:
I don't really care if a state is "Good for business". It's not the role of a government to be "good for business", but rather "Good for Citizens".
Jobs, innovation, and revenue (tax) are good for citizens.

Quote:
We might want to look at "liberal" Austin for examples of what to do.
Austin is still in Texas.

Quote:

These ones (83K): New York Adds 83,500 Private Sector Jobs in 2012

The most recent job report showed NYS unemployment dropping as well.

And, of course, it's the economic capital of the world. I think we're doing something right.
According to that, Buffalo-Niagara lost non-farm and private sector jobs, along with a lot of the other bigger areas outside of the NYC metro area.

I've always have taken the unemployment numbers are taken with a grain of salt, as they don't provide details in regards to salaries and other specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC is still the business capital. NYC still has Wall Street, and NYS gives big tax credits for film and tv production to come to NY. (This is all done in NYC or nearby).

So its not that NYS is so unfriendly to business. Businesses don't find upstate Ny locations desirable. Its cold, for starters. If you have to fly to say Europe or the West Coast, you have far more choices in airlines going from downstate.

To be completely honest, most states have this issue as well. Most of California's economy outside agriculture is in the Bay area, or in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.

Big companies for most operations tend to prefer coastal cities. For what manufacturing is still done in the US, these days new factories tend to get opened up in Southern states. And I don't think its just the business climate, I think its literally the climate. How many business people want to have to come to Buffalo, with its cold weather.
Interesting that Wall Street firms are shifting jobs away from NYC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/02/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Things change. Technology changes. I used to live in a city that had over 20 mills in it. Those mills were only open for 20 years. This was back in the late 1800's. That city is still hanging onto it's identity as a mill town 200 years later. Those mills have all been turned into luxury apartments - well the ones still standing.

There are many businesses that have been in Upstate NY for decades and continue to grow. You just don't see news stories on them every day. You read news stories on the bad. When Kodak laid off people or filed bankruptcy it was in the news for days, but back when they were in good times how often did you see stories about the number of folks they were hiring?

GE was created in Schenectady way back when. It's still there. It went through a major decline with technological changes, but it's changed it's focus and is on the upswing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area