U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Location: dayton
147 posts, read 598,071 times
Reputation: 37


Originally Posted by warm heatherette View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, it is not yet mandatory to have a passport to cross the border if you are a Canadian or US citizen. Picture ID, like a Driver's License will do. If you've got kids, their birth certificates will suffice.
oh i was almost positive that you needed a passport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
103 posts, read 598,967 times
Reputation: 34
You need a passport to travel by air to Canada. You do not need a passport to travel by land.

US Department of State (http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html - broken link)

Current Requirements for Entry Into Canada

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

1. proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.
2. photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
2 posts, read 4,538 times
Reputation: 11
Default Niagara Falls

Originally Posted by deeds View Post
we're heading to niagara falls.........any info on places to stay would be helpful..tours to take and places to eat...we're thinking of taking the amtrak........how about the canadian side? any info on that would be helpful...thanks!
Go to the Canadian side, it is beautiful and reportedly the Maid of the Mist has more or newer boats on that side. We went in May, it was great. Kids 6 and 9, had a blast, and the Maid of the Mist was awesome. Be sure to have birth certificates if you will actually cross the border; in fact, you may need a passport now. If you have time/car rental, go into Buffalo. The zoo is great, especially for little ones, there are two Frank Lloyd Wright homes, the Botanical Gardens and the Albright-Knox art musuem. And don't forget the Anchor Bar, where the Buffalo Chicken Wing originated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 AM
744 posts, read 1,413,837 times
Reputation: 513
The Seneca Niagsara Casino has several very good restaurants within it's confines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Location: Austin, TX
50 posts, read 64,147 times
Reputation: 49
For Italian food in Niagara Falls, NY, the locals go to Michaels Restaurant.

It is a diner -- you can try Como's up the street if you like
more formal dining, but I always refer friends to Michaels
whenever they are in the area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Location: CFL
903 posts, read 2,010,602 times
Reputation: 960
You will see conflicting information in the different posts above...

To avoid confusion... To go to Canada and back you are crossing the border twice.
Entering Canada you play by Canada customs rules
Returning to the US you play by US customs rules

They aren't the same rules. Using one of the links above you can find this info

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).

If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents. Please refer to the CBSA website linked above for more details. There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photo copies of their state-issued IDs.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.
American travelers are urged to obtain WHTI-compliant documents before entering Canada well in advance of their planned travel. For the most recent information on WHTI and WHTI-compliant documents, please see the State Department’s website (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html - broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Location: Tonawanda
259 posts, read 737,580 times
Reputation: 71
Basically adults need a passport or Enhanced Drivers License to return to the US from Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top