Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Is Whole Foods really coming to Buffalo? I just went to their website and couldn't find that information.
They were scheduled to open a store in the Amherst Town Centre that was going to be built on Maple Road near UB. The lawsuits against that project delayed it so long that Benderson is now considering selling off the land to a group that wants to build student housing there. So instead of condos and upscale shops next door the homowners that brought suit will now have to contend with 1,200 undergrads and their keggers. The poetic justice is palpable indeedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post

* Buffalo is in a no man's land for logistics; a toll is required to enter or leave the metro area on an expressway (only one of three major metros in the United States that is "toll-locked"), and it's about half way between distribution centers and commissaries serving the Northeast Corridor and Great Lakes Midwest. Basically, Buffalo is harder to get to than other peer metros. Toll-locking is another reason why Rochester and Syracuse often get new retail and restaurant chains years before Buffalo; I-390 and I-81 are free, while I-90 isn't.

Where is there a toll to enter Buffalo (other than the Grand island Bridges that is? In fact the only non toll section of interstate 90 in NY State is the section through Buffalo's suburbs.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM

47 posts, read 217,136 times
Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, H&M, Ikea, and an high quality indoor playground for kids.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM

96 posts, read 147,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Where is there a toll to enter Buffalo (other than the Grand island Bridges that is? In fact the only non toll section of interstate 90 in NY State is the section through Buffalo's suburbs.
The issue is the toll parts from the PA line to Lackawanna and from Williamsville (not sure what they technically call the booths there) to points East.

To me the idea is a bit laughable that companies would like Rochester better than Buffalo because of this -- you would spend more money keeping the trucks going with how bad I-86 is compared to the toll in 90. *jokes about terribly maintained interstates*

Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
The issue is the toll parts from the PA line to Lackawanna and from Williamsville (not sure what they technically call the booths there) to points East.

To me the idea is a bit laughable that companies would like Rochester better than Buffalo because of this -- you would spend more money keeping the trucks going with how bad I-86 is compared to the toll in 90. *jokes about terribly maintained interstates*
The toll item saying that Buffalo has tolls and Syracuse and Rochester do not just makes no sense. The traffic that goes to Rochester or Syracuse would have more tolls than those coming to Buffalo by fact that the 90 all the way from Williamsville to the eastern terminus is a toll road.. The 90 is a toll road everywhere BUT Buffalo. The only way the comment makes any sense is if the original poster still thinks there is a toll on the 190 into the City. But those tolls were removed years ago.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miramera View Post
Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, H&M, Ikea, and an high quality indoor playground for kids.
H&M is opening sometime this year in the Walden Galleria. A lease was signed and the announcement was in the paper a few months back.

H&M Announcement
Walden Galleria

Gordon Biersch announcement

Walden Galleria

Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
The toll item saying that Buffalo has tolls and Syracuse and Rochester do not just makes no sense. The traffic that goes to Rochester or Syracuse would have more tolls than those coming to Buffalo by fact that the 90 all the way from Williamsville to the eastern terminus is a toll road.. The 90 is a toll road everywhere BUT Buffalo. The only way the comment makes any sense is if the original poster still thinks there is a toll on the 190 into the City. But those tolls were removed years ago.
While I do agree with you I think maybe the poster was referring to the fact that you can get into Syracuse via 81 or Rochester on 390 without tolls .... Buffalo doesn't have another major toll free highway running into it. Of course taking those roads would be totally reliant upon which direction you were coming from.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
Burgers aren't Buffalo's strong suit. There's no truly iconic burger joint in the area, and the eleventy gazillion Greek diners in the area can't serve a decent burger to save their lives; quarter pound patties on plain white supermarket rolls, oh boy. Some bars serve a decent burger, but they operate under the radar, and they're not exactly places where you want to take the family.
[/u]

Your right burgers aren't really Buffalo's strong suit. But they do have some pretty delicous burger places.

I really like Vizzi's on Kenmore, Grovers on Transit, Bill grey's on main street in clarence or maple rd. in Amherst. Those are probably my favorites. I even have eaten at Fudruckers more times than I can count.

Buffalo doesn't do a few categories right. One is Mexican,--god awful. The other is hamburger joints although there are some. I am sure there are some pretty good ones that I don't know about. Their chinese buffets are god awful. Atleast the ones that I have eaten in. I haven't lived in buffalo in a while so I am sure that there are places that have popped up that are good. Many bars from my experience make some very good burgers. Vizzi's is one.

Buffalo really has every type of food, but they don't reign supreme in any one type. I really don't think that buffalo wings are any better here than some other places. They started here, but other places have very good wings.

I think cities live on from pasts regarding food. Especially the whole NY pizza things. Many cities have caught up and in many instances are better. I have had lots of crappy Pizza in NYC, and I have had great pizza in college town U.S.A.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
[/u]

Buffalo really has every type of food, but they don't reign supreme in any one type. I really don't think that buffalo wings are any better here than some other places. They started here, but other places have very good wings.

I don't know about that. Ive had some real bad wings growing up in Baltimore (as well as living in the south & west). I never really cared for wings until had them at Duffs.

While Buffalo's cheese steaks aren't going to make anyone forget about Philly some places here actually get pretty damn close. I remember the first time I ordered a cheese steak in Colorado & it showed up dripping in A1 .... I took one bite & then tossed it, most disgusting cheese steak ever.

Buffalo's pizza is a lot better than anything Ive ever had other than Chicago deep dish. That being said some places are good others are bad .. you just got to find the good ones. In a lot of places in this country you don't even bother with the local pizza shops because its so bad. Most local shops Ive tried in Texas & Colorado are closer to card board than a pizza. Its a real shame when Poppa Johns or Pizza Hut are the best game in town.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Qdoba...it blows nasty and cheap Mexican fast food like Taco Bell and Mighty Taco out of the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area