Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 11,982 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
as many other posters I'm considering relocating to Buffalo (young couple in need of a place way cheaper than NYC because of health issues), and I'm checking out some places and wanted some info about the neighborhood:

- French st. in East Delavan
- Niagara st. in Black Rock
- Wyoming ave in East Delavan
- Baitz ave near Clinton st Babcock

I've been reading that East Delavan is not a very good area, but not as bad as Cheektowaga (from my understanding), but I also understand that there are very different areas in the same neighborhood (like now I'm living in Williamsburgh, and while it has a very good reputation there are some areas that it's still not a good idea to walk around at night) so that's why I wrote the actual street.

Thanks for the info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broly123456 View Post
Hi all,
as many other posters I'm considering relocating to Buffalo (young couple in need of a place way cheaper than NYC because of health issues), and I'm checking out some places and wanted some info about the neighborhood:

- French st. in East Delavan
- Niagara st. in Black Rock
- Wyoming ave in East Delavan
- Baitz ave near Clinton st Babcock

I've been reading that East Delavan is not a very good area, but not as bad as Cheektowaga (from my understanding), but I also understand that there are very different areas in the same neighborhood (like now I'm living in Williamsburgh, and while it has a very good reputation there are some areas that it's still not a good idea to walk around at night) so that's why I wrote the actual street.

Thanks for the info!!!
Broly,
You picked some nasty places. East Delavan is a street, not an area, by the way. Those 2 are "East Side" and very high crime.
Baitz Ave is in S. Buffalo. Might not be too bad, but I'm just not that familiar. Google Street View didn't do it any favors...
Niagara St is a mess.
Cheektowaga, almost any part, would be better than these.
What sort of budget are you working with? Do you have employment lined up? If so, in what area?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 11,982 times
Thanks man, that's really helpful!
From reading here I was convinced that Cheektowaga was the worst part, and apparently it's not!
There is no employment involved for now (my wife is gonna be on disability soon and I wanna use my time supporting her, so we are looking for a place with affordable houses and cheaper cost of life) so I wouldn't have any particular preference about the location.
I heard Helmwood is nice, but the prices are definitely higher... Any other suggestion for another area with a good safety/price ratio?

Thanks again

Old 04-15-2011, 12:25 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Cheektowaga is an average middle class suburb, it has good & bad. The further west you are the closer to the East Buffalo hood & that area can have its share of crime. The further east you go the nicer Cheektowaga gets.

The areas of Buffalo you have listed are among the worst in the city.

Take a look at North Buffalo, Kenmore, Tonawanda & the eastern end of Cheektowaga. If you don't mind being a little further out Hamburg & Lancaster might be worth looking at too. They all have affordable & safe options.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Depew and West Seneca could possibly work. South Buffalo close Caz Park, I believe, isn't too bad.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Depew and West Seneca could possibly work. South Buffalo close Caz Park, I believe, isn't too bad.

Its a really nice & affordable area and I hate to say this but I hesitate to recommend it to anyone without knowing their race. Its my understanding that there is still some pretty heavy racism in areas of SoBuffalo.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Its a really nice & affordable area and I hate to say this but I hesitate to recommend it to anyone without knowing their race. Its my understanding that there is still some pretty heavy racism in areas of SoBuffalo.
Good point and I didn't even think about that.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,444,069 times
Try around Hertel, east of Delaware, if you're looking in the city. I think it's still nice over there, last I knew and that was 6-10 years ago.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 31,943 times
In addition, some decent options in the City are Parkside, North Park, Central Park (w. of Main) in North Buffalo are all pretty safe bets. Elmwood and Allentown have good (and $$$) areas. Confab with a local on any choice.

If you have a medical center/doc lined up, it might be easier to point you to a nearby neighborhood. Also, will you be using transit, or do you have a car? Do you have a max price point? Also, are there other amenities you are looking for (ie: walkable neighborhoods, easy highway access, etc)?

You might want to get a month to month lease for a while so you can get your bearings.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 33,965 times
I would definitely recommend North Buffalo. The previous posts mentioning racism in South Buffalo is very accurate. Parts of Cheektowaga can be as well as West Seneca. The Hertel area is a nice area. Niagara Street can be real shady. And stay away from the East side of Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area