Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 PM

12 posts, read 167,927 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to Olean. My son is attending the YMCA in Olean and has been getting picked on and have had some not so nice comments made to him. Some called him a brown piece of poop and a little girl told him she doesn't like for brown people to touch her. (If you haven't figured out, I'm black.) My baby is only 6 (one of the younges kids there). The YMCA is not very diverse. I'm so upset with this situation I'm looking at moving to the Buffalo area. I'm willing to make the commute to Olean for work for the sake of my kids. Can anyone tell me what are some diverse areas in the Buffalo area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Unfortunatly, Buffalo isn't very diverse either....the City itself has a large black populaiton, but its mostly in the crime-ridden, run down East Side....The neighborhoods just west of downtown are supposed to be more diverse, and safer than the eastside....while the rest of the city, and all of the suburbs, is overwhelmingly white.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:12 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
Well Buffalo is 30% black
So it is diverse - I think segregated is more the word you were looking for.

I haven't been to Olean, specifically but I would imagine you'd be better off in or near any of the cities. Yeah, its NYS, but the southern Tier - you might as well be in Alabama.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher1 View Post
I recently relocated to Olean. My son is attending the YMCA in Olean and has been getting picked on and have had some not so nice comments made to him. Some called him a brown piece of poop and a little girl told him she doesn't like for brown people to touch her. (If you haven't figured out, I'm black.) My baby is only 6 (one of the younges kids there). The YMCA is not very diverse. I'm so upset with this situation I'm looking at moving to the Buffalo area. I'm willing to make the commute to Olean for work for the sake of my kids. Can anyone tell me what are some diverse areas in the Buffalo area?
I am so sorry to hear that! Kids can be so cruel, it just breaks my heart. I grew up in Olean (couldn't wait to get out lol) and it seems the same people live there generation after generation and hasn't really diversified as much as other larger cities. Kids learn from their parents most of the time unfortunately.

I can tell you, the commute from Buffalo to Olean is not a fun one, especially in the winter. I have made many trips to and from the airport lol. Have you tried talking to some of the teachers? I know there aren't a lot of daycare/preschool choices, but have you looked into some local churches?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM

161 posts, read 703,137 times
Quote:
That's really horrible, and I'm sorry to hear it. How awful that kids are still being raised to be so ignorant. :-(

Have you looked into any communities closer to Olean? Springville or Ellicottville? Salamanca? I can't think of any others off hand, but a drive between Olean and Buffalo would be tough to do every day. :-(

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
I rented a home near Grant on West Delavan. That neighborhood, just west of Elmwood Ave. seemed to be ethnically mixed and I never heard of any racial issues while I was living there.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I am assuming you are working in Olean? That's how I am writing this, with my expericence from when my kids were in the lower grades:

With a little one, I would be very bothered if I was going to do that travel that distance and leave the child in Buffalo. In the even of a bad storm, it might be hard to get back....even with bad traffic, it is a longer time you are not home. Or, you could take your kids to Olean... not much of a change.

I would check the churches. Many churches have daycares and talking to a minister first or attending services there should give you an idea of the way they think. You might find things different.

If you are working in Buffalo - could work in Buffalo ( as in: you are flexible) - you might want to look around here.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your situation.

Amherst will probably be a good place for you. It is probably the most cosmopolitan suburb in the Buffalo area. Both the Amherst and Sweet Home school districts are fairly diverse and have good test scores. The Cleveland Hill and Cheektowaga School districts in Cheektowaga are pretty diverse now too.

Areas in the city of Buffalo like the Elmwood Village and North Buffalo are also possibilities.

The long commute to Olean will be rough through in the winter.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM

39 posts, read 113,208 times
was your situation resolved? I'm in Sala. my son is 5, he'd love a new friend. Please contact.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 27,526 times
i'm gunna be striaght. *** olean and ne other white hillbilly ass towns in the middle of no were. Listen stay out of city schools or by age 7 he'll be a gang member lol. listenj go to city suburbs . west seneca were i go to high school.; theres black white latino chinese. hamburg and orchard park are richy white preps and so is east seneca. Cheektowaga is diverse white and black. just dont go so close to city lines. i live mineral springs and harlem. i see black and white. theres cheep desent apartments on harlem by mineral springs. which are currently renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area