Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 PM

61 posts, read 112,661 times

Advertisements

The title says all-- When I was in Buffalo as a student, I couldn't wait to leave. I really, really hated the cloudy weather, which is said to be one major reason contributing to the high depression rate in Buffalo. Also, my friends used to joke that Buffalo is a big town-- so spread out and not much going on. My then long distance fiance (now hubby) suggested he could find a job and relocate to Buffalo, but I declined that offer. I moved to where he was. But now that I've left Buffalo for a few years, I found myself constantly miss it and make trips to visit it when I have chance. Now I even bigin to think about the possibility of returning and settling down.

I miss the easy access to Toronto!!
I miss the variety of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores.
I miss the ski hills -- kissing bridge and holiday valley, etc.
I miss the cultural events both on campus and in community.
I miss the grand Niagara falls
I miss my firends and the friendly locals.
The grocery and housing are so affordable.

Are you in similar situation? What do you like or dislike about Buffalo?
How's Buffalo's job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
"I really, really hated the cloudy weather, which is said to be one major reason contributing to the high depression rate in Buffalo"

It's not the weather. Nearby Rochester gets the same weather and has grown steadily as Buffalo shrinks. It's the economy. What you do see as far as economic activity and building is heavily subsidized, but good luck.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
I agree. The problem is once family is no longer there there is no reason to go back in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM

114 posts, read 868,044 times
"I miss the variety of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores."

Which restaurants and grocery stores are these? Wegmans is great yes, but ethnic restaurants....Buffalo really lacks those. If I am misinformed, then please any suggestions welcome. Mexican is really bad here, so is middle eastern, greek, indian, and thai. Chinese restaurants are not that bad. I haven't tried the eastern/western European restaurants so not sure about those. There are no Ethiopian, true Mediterranean, British or Jamaican restaurants here. Oh and I wouldn't count the countless number of Italian restaurants as ethnic.
Everything else you mentioned is probably true.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM

27 posts, read 85,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post

Which restaurants and grocery stores are these? Wegmans is great yes, but ethnic restaurants....Buffalo really lacks those. If I am misinformed, then please any suggestions welcome. Mexican is really bad here, so is middle eastern, greek, indian, and thai. Chinese restaurants are not that bad. I haven't tried the eastern/western European restaurants so not sure about those. There are no Ethiopian, true Mediterranean, British or Jamaican restaurants here. Oh and I wouldn't count the countless number of Italian restaurants as ethnic.
There are 4 Jamaican restaurants off the top of my head, with a 5th "semi" Jamaican (chef that went to Jamaica, the came back in hamburg I believe)
Dr Birds
Carribean Experience
Some place on Niagara Falls blvd @ Kenmore
Some place on Jefferson Ave near Delavan
And the place in Hamburg (Curly's I think?)

There's a Cuban spot on Main

For Mexican there's Grandma Mora's on Hertel,
Some place on Niagara Falls blvd near Wheatfield
Not counting Cinco De Mayo's lol
I'm leaving out a place

No Ethipoian, but there is Somali Star on Grant St.

For Puerto Rican food, there's Niagara Cafe
The place across from Wegmans on Amherst St
The place on Swan St
The place on Grant st
The place in Riverside Buffalo

There's at least 4 Indian spots here in Buffalo, and at least 4 in Niagara Falls

There's a Tai place on Bailey ave (99 I think its called) and one in Niagara Falls (used to be)

As for Greek, I've been happy with Towne and Pano's, havn't tried Ambrosia or that other place yet.

Amy's Place is great for some Middle Eastern "Flare" food

Nearby Rochester has the Ethiopian and Eritrean restaurants you want.

Buffalo also has at least 3 Japanese Restaurants (Hertel, Elmwood, and Chippawa -Papaya....okay, that last one isn't strictly Japanese, but, hey, the saki is great!)

Forgive me for leaving out names as all of this is off the tops of my head. Seriously, for food, Buffalo rivals places like New York and Chicago. One thing people here know how to do, is eat, lol

Old 06-12-2011, 05:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
There's also a new Mexican place (thats actually owned/operated by Mexicans unlike most of the other WNY Mexican restaurants) near the McKinley Mall. The name escapes me but I've ate there a few times & its comparable to any Mexican joint I ate at in Central Texas.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post

Greek? The Towne, Panos, Ambrosia are great, The Towne being my favorite. As for Thai, there's some truth both ways. I really liked Bangkok Tokyo, small place with affordable yet delicious Thai and Japanese food but it closed, not sure if it will come back. The Asian Market has great Thai/Vietnamese food and great groceries too. Papaya is decent but not really authentic and it is overpriced. There are not many Mexican places but Grandma Mora's is as good as any Mexican food I have had elsewhere, including Mexico and the Southwest. I love it! I'm not sure why you think Italian is not really ethnic food but Santasiero's spaghetti and marinara sauce puts me in a foodie kef unlike any other. For a city its size, Buffalo has a really good restaurant scene. The city has a lot of problems and reasons to legitimately complain but I am not sure where you are going to think it is missing a dinning scene. Mighty Taco? lol

Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 PM

27 posts, read 85,098 times
@Poletop1, ditto on Papaya being overpriced. 1 Saki, 1 Wine, 1 Sizzling Duck, and 1 Curry noodle (or something) $80....okay, $70, but I left a nice tip cause the waitress was awesome! Service is great, and so is decor. I guess that's what you pay for.

Oh! Correction, "99" is actually Vietnamese, not Thai

@jblake, that's the place I was thinking of but couldn't remember!!! The place on Niagara Falls Blvd is owned by real Mexican's too.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsailor View Post
The title says all-- When I was in Buffalo as a student, I couldn't wait to leave. I really, really hated the cloudy weather, which is said to be one major reason contributing to the high depression rate in Buffalo. Also, my friends used to joke that Buffalo is a big town-- so spread out and not much going on. My then long distance fiance (now hubby) suggested he could find a job and relocate to Buffalo, but I declined that offer. I moved to where he was. But now that I've left Buffalo for a few years, I found myself constantly miss it and make trips to visit it when I have chance. Now I even bigin to think about the possibility of returning and settling down.

I miss the easy access to Toronto!!
I miss the variety of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores.
I miss the ski hills -- kissing bridge and holiday valley, etc.
I miss the cultural events both on campus and in community.
I miss the grand Niagara falls
I miss my firends and the friendly locals.
The grocery and housing are so affordable.

Are you in similar situation? What do you like or dislike about Buffalo?
How's Buffalo's job market?
These are the things I miss about Western New York:

I miss having family around, real impiortant when you have kids.
I miss being able to get around without being in constant traffic and surrounded by aggressive drivers.
I miss good quality, yet reasonably priced restaurants.
I miss the friendly and unpretenious people
I miss being near Canada
I miss reasonably priced, good quality housing and quiet neighborhoods
I miss being in a place where kids are allowed to have a real childhood!
I miss snow being a positive thing not the logistical nightmare it is where I live now.
I miss paying half the property taxes I do now
I miss not having to pay $10 tolls when I go over bridges.
I miss living in a place where most people are working-middle class, not the rich wall-street/poor immigrant demographic make-up with no middle class where I live now.
I miss the clean crisp air (especially in the fall)
I miss the way the sports teams (especuially during the playoffs) get the whole community to come together.
I miss the festivals
I miss the not so crowded and affordable theme parks in the area.

To all those people that complain about Western New York, spend a few years living as a middle class person downstate, you will literally kiss the ground when you come back to Buffalo!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
These are the things I miss about Western New York:

I miss having family around, real impiortant when you have kids.
I miss being able to get around without being in constant traffic and surrounded by aggressive drivers.
I miss good quality, yet reasonably priced restaurants.
I miss the friendly and unpretenious people
I miss being near Canada
I miss reasonably priced, good quality housing and quiet neighborhoods
I miss being in a place where kids are allowed to have a real childhood!
I miss snow being a positive thing not the logistical nightmare it is where I live now.
I miss paying half the property taxes I do now
I miss not having to pay $10 tolls when I go over bridges.
I miss living in a place where most people are working-middle class, not the rich wall-street/poor immigrant demographic make-up with no middle class where I live now.
I miss the clean crisp air (especially in the fall)
I miss the way the sports teams (especuially during the playoffs) get the whole community to come together.
I miss the festivals
I miss the not so crowded and affordable theme parks in the area.

To all those people that complain about Western New York, spend a few years living as a middle class person downstate, you will literally kiss the ground when you come back to Buffalo!
Port North, you pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. Same things apply for this DFW area resident except no tolls or tax laments. I'll add that while the WNY summers aren't real long, they sure beat month after month of 100 degree heat!
So I'll just add a few of my own "misses"
I miss family owned / locally owned businesses (DFW = land of chains)
I miss being able to get places in 15 min (DFW is absurd)
I miss the sense of community
I miss knowing my neighbors and speaking the same language as them.
I miss affordable golf!
I miss living in a place I feel safe from crime
I miss living in a place that provides top notch public schools located in places I can actually afford to live.
I miss not feeling any pressure to keep up with the Jones'
I miss 4 distinct seasons
I'm sure there are more but I'm making myself a little depressed so I'll leave it at that for now. Grass aint always greener they say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area