Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 AM

271 posts, read 417,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Back to Buffalo fans. Just like Cleveland. They are a bitter bunch since the mid 60's was the last time either city won it all. They are jealous of towns with championship rings. They cover their inferiority complexes by getting drunk and rowdier. More than many towns.Giants and Jets fans get rowdy but it's controlled. Bills fans are just obnoxious. Punks using mom and dad's tickets puking in parking lots and trashtalking,etc. I've been to Philly. Philly fans are more rational at The Vet and The Linc than Bills fans.
****... are you living in buffalo and trying to say how jets fans act... they are rowdy and drunk just like most other sucky sports teams ... ask anyone who works in giants stadium..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM

425 posts, read 958,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
****... are you living in buffalo and trying to say how jets fans act... they are rowdy and drunk just like most other sucky sports teams ... ask anyone who works in giants stadium..
I'm a Jets fan, and I can tell you this is not true...because fans don't go to games anymore, the Jets went from having a 8 years waiting list for tickets under Leon Hess to ticket reps calling me every week under Woody Johnson.

The Bills have the honor of being the only true New York NFL team...until they move to Toronto.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I'm a Jets fan, and I can tell you this is not true...because fans don't go to games anymore, the Jets went from having a 8 years waiting list for tickets under Leon Hess to ticket reps calling me every week under Woody Johnson.

The Bills have the honor of being the only true New York NFL team...until they move to Toronto.
As a Giants fan, I am not a Jets fan. However, I do root for the Jets to beat the Bills. That is one thing Rex Ryan has done right. Ruined Buffalo seasons.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
Yo Yo Yo !!!! Flavor Flav IN DA HOUSE !!!Straight Outta Kensington !!!!!! OK Rapper. You representin' da' Eastside I see. I live nearly 3000 miles from you so I can give a hoot about your pathetic team going on the longest current NFL playoff drought which is 13 years.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post

Also Scotty. I will tell you the White Collar atmosphere of the new stadium doesn;t have the same homefield advantage as the old Meadowlands. Same thing happened in Philly. The Vet got destroyed and now it's nothing but Yuppies at The Linc.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Also Scotty. I will tell you the White Collar atmosphere of the new stadium doesn;t have the same homefield advantage as the old Meadowlands. Same thing happened in Philly. The Vet got destroyed and now it's nothing but Yuppies at The Linc.
Yeah, my Brother was a season ticket holder going back to the Shea Stadium days, him and his friends had front row 45 yard line seats near Jets bench, and they had to give up their seats when the moved to Metlife, due to the PSL cost and the initial demand for almost all of the PSL paid up front, long after the seats he had paid for during the glorious eras of Rich Kotite, Neil O'Donnel, Al Groh and Browning Nagel were sold off to some coporation and they noticed nobody was buting the tickets, that alot of the long times fans were not jumping at the chance to pay for downgraded seats, so they can still go to the games, they called and told him they changed the PSL payment policy and it now can be paid off over years....he told then to stick it up their _____.

Woody has done more to damage this team in the eyes of the people who should care, and want to care about the team then Rich Kotite ever could....well at least Romney lost, that makes me happy since Woody went on record that he cares more about Romney winning then the Jets W/L record....I voted for Gary Johnson...but that's a whole new topic altogeter.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM

My Dad's a Giants fan, me and my friend were rooting for the Bills in the SB against the Giants, since they played in NY and Giants were the first team to leave NY and go to NJ....that did not work out how we thought it would....WIDE RIGHT! UGH!

still one of my favorite squads in football history...Kelly,Thomas,Bruce,Smith & Levy.

also cool that Buffalo has become (or always has been) a big Hockey town, I work with a Sabres fan and he is a great fan of the team and all things Buffalo, but he was to young to remember the "glory years" Bills...not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing for him....

Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM

29 posts, read 60,847 times
I think one major thing we could do to change Buffalo as residents is to stop hating on it so much and actively take advantage of what it offers. 10,000 artists of all stripes could move to the area but if no one supports them (buys their jewelry, commissions their paintings, attends their concerts, etc) they won't be succesful or add to the economy. For every person I know here who is constantly busy (festivals, concerts, independent shopping, sports leagues, drum circles, recreation on the waterfront, etc) there are 5 who don't do anything but watch tv, big box shop and eat fast food. It seems in my experience very few people move here and even fewer that grow up here ever move out, so the life experience is pretty narrow for a lot of folks. This doesn't make them bad people, it just doesn't allow many of them the perspective to appreciate all the great things we have access to (or to realize how much more lame life is in a lot of other places, like where I'm from). Sure, we could have more jobs and less crime, but that is A LOT of places in America (and the world). I for one have no interest in moving to a more "happening" city to spend four or five times as much on living expenses and never be able to afford to do anything. I have no delusions I'm going to move to NYC and score some six figure job, even with my two college degrees.

On a side note, I'm happy to see some art culture popping up in Black Rock, with two new multi-artist murals (one on Tonwanda/Amherst, on on Amherst & Grant), the Religious Arts Center on East and the two new art galleries on Amherst. Plus IndieSound was hosted on Amherst this year. Not bad for a 'hood that has less than 8k people and that most folks mistakenly lump in with the 'hoods it borders.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM

937 posts, read 698,787 times
1. Get rid of Erie County government, they have done little for the city, while still collecting taxes on city residents to benefit the suburbs.
2. Reduce state & federal taxes for city residents and businesses.
3. Raise taxes for Amherst, Clarence & Orchard Park. They can more than afford it.
4. That money that the governor promised for Buffalo, should go to Buffalo, not the suburbs. The state has spent well over a billion dollars in that swamp[ called the North Campus, money that should of been spent here.
5. Extend the LRRT (Light Rail Rapid Transit) to the airport and following South Park to Lackawanna, underground, free from the weather.
6. Require all city government positions, especially fireman & teachers to be city residents. This includes all upper levels for the fire department who live in the the suburbs. Why is it ok for the suburbs to require this that aren't in need, but not for the city that is?
7. Require owner occupancy of two family homes, reducing the number of absentee landlords. Ownership of more than one "double" would be allowed if their residence is in the city.
8. Allow school busing between suburbs and the city based on distance.
9. Halt all suburban development. There are more than enough commercial buildings and housing as it is. Reuse existing commercial buildings and stop tearing down old buildings that can be brought back to life.
10. Halt all new suburbia road building, especially truck related. There are way too many roads as it is. All they do is promote more suburban sprawl.
11. Stop dumping millions into a stadium that sees less than a dozen events a years, inconveniently located in a outer suburb.
12. Using the term "Buffalo" (or any city name) on a suburban business that has no locations in the city (and I don't mean mailing addresses either), should only be allowed when a 'use' fee is collected based on the size of the business (sales, profits, worth, employees, number of locations). Freeloading, using a cities name just as a benefit and convenience, when that business doesn't want anything to do with that city is just plain wrong. If you like the name so much move your business here. If you don't like it here, use your no name suburbs name instead.

Narrow minded (me first), selfish (I don't care about you), discriminatory (not in my backyard) mentality is what ruined all cities. You people forgot, if it wasn't for the city, you wouldn't have your suburb!

Last edited by videobruce; 12-21-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: added #12

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
1. Get rid of Erie County government, they have done little for the city, while still collecting taxes on city residents to benefit the suburbs.
2. Reduce state & federal taxes for city residents and businesses.
3. Raise taxes for Amherst, Clarence & Orchard Park. They can more than afford it.
4. That money that the governor promised for Buffalo, should go to Buffalo, not the suburbs. The state has spent well over a billion dollars in that swamp[ called the North Campus, money that should of been spent here.
5. Extend the LRRT (Light Rail Rapid Transit) to the airport and following South Park to Lackawanna, underground, free from the weather.
6. Require all city government positions, especially fireman & teachers to be city residents. This includes all upper levels for the fire department who live in the the suburbs. Why is it ok for the suburbs to require this that aren't in need, but not for the city that is?
7. Require owner occupancy of two family homes, reducing the number of absentee landlords. Ownership of more than one "double" would be allowed if their residence is in the city.
8. Allow school busing between suburbs and the city based on distance.
9. Halt all suburban development. There are more than enough commercial buildings and housing as it is. Reuse existing commercial buildings and stop tearing down old buildings that can be brought back to life.
10. Halt all new suburbia road building, especially truck related. There are way too many roads as it is. All they do is promote more suburban sprawl.
11. Stop dumping millions into a stadium that sees less than a dozen events a years, inconveniently located in a outer suburb.

Narrow minded (me first), selfish (I don't care about you), discriminatory (not in my backyard) mentality is what ruined all cities. You people forgot, if it wasn't for the city, you wouldn't have your suburb!
Some of your ideas are good, some need a little work. Here is my take:

1. Not eliminated, but reformed so it doesn't continue to be the patronage haven it always has been and thus lower taxes. I don't see the county as being automatically anti-city. Besides, the New York State consitutuion would have to be amended to allow for what you want.
2. Reduce business taxes in the city as an incentive for business to locate there.
3. No, this would drive away wealth from the area.We want to attract more rich people to the area not punish them
4. More should go to Buffalo, but the regional economy as a whole is important also.
5. I agree, but it could be above ground and expanded to UB North Campus, Airport, Tonawanda, Hamburg, East Aurora and Niagara Falls. If you are going to do it, do it right and make it a system that you can truly get around with without a car.
6. Requiring city employees to live in the City gets my support
7. Not practical, maybe even unconsititutional
8. Sorry but I'm a big believer in neighborhood schools, you must not have children.
9. The economy has pretty much halted all suburban subrawl development nationwide. Instead of an outright ban, rezone suburban downtowns and city neighborhoods (as well as building codes) to allow for mixed use buildings and greater density. The demand for walkable communities among young people will drive this trend over the next decade, the sprawl-style suburban expansion is over. Suburban redevelopment in suburban villages could certainly be beneficial to the region and should be encouraged.
10. Pretty much all new roadbuilding has been halted nationwide, money spent on roads is largely now to get more capacity from them by technology (ITS) or to bring outdated and unsafe roads into to a state of good repair. Very few roads are built to accomodate speculative development. This is especially true in WNY. So a ban is not necessary because the money or desire is no longer there for further sprawl building.

11. I agree, a centrally located stadium makes more sense

I'll add my own:
12. Stop this crazy rivalry between City and suburbs in WNY that from the outside looks kind of redundent. You should be competing against the world, not each other. I enjoy both and want to see both thrive. Even development in the suburbs can be beneficial to the city if it is done smartly (and for god sakes don't drive away those with money that want to live in the region, even if its the suburbs). For those that view the city as a money-sucking ghetto: the world is changing, young people want lively walkable urban environments. Buffalo has a lot of potential is this regard, don't blow it! The old ways of thinking are changing. Both city and suburbs can work together to the benefit of both.

Last edited by Port North; 12-21-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area