Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 AM

323 posts, read 1,786,990 times

Advertisements

Geez, I read this notice below on Craigslist. Does anyone out there know about this matter? I am disturbed because I have been looking for Apts in that area and now I feel like re considering.

If this notice I read is not true I apologize.

Elmwood Square Apartments (Buffalo, NY)

Date: 2011-06-24, 2:14PM EDT
Reply to: comm-qe3rq-2460182651@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
I would like to send an alert about Elmwood Square Apartments located at 505 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY that this building is really dangerous to live in since majority of it's tenants are drug addicts and alcoholics and prostitutes who have nothing better to do all day so you will see them wondering outside begging for money or offering you drugs or sexual favors in exchange for money.
Recently, a Gay male on the 7th floor was brutally beaten, tied up and gagged by three strong men who stormed into his apartment at 130am Friday morning and gang raped this male victim. Upon further inquiry, it was learnt that the three men were given access to the building by a tenant who lives there and some say that the on call maintenance staff allowed them inside since it is "apparently" supposed to be a secure building, nonetheless the Buffalo Crime Scene Investigators as well as the Police Officers shrugged the entire incident as drug related.
Now the LGBT Community have learned that another Gay Muslim male living there has been a victim of abuse and harassment by the drug addicts and alcoholic tenants to the devastating point that he has suffered 2 strokes, lost his speech and hearing. Despite his physical limitations, he has survived the horrific abuse as recently as yesterday morning when he was brutally assaulted at the bus stop and his speech device was damaged during this scuffle. When asked why he did not call the cops, he replied "The Buffalo Police have not taken any of his complaints seriously". Even as far as helping the Narcotic agent resulted in more abuse and harassment by his neighbors and the maintenance persons who violate his privacy on a regular basis. His Housing worker Ms. Marilyn Hubbard from BFNC has played a major role in this abuse and harassment process since the goal was to have this young man hospitalized so he would become homeless all over again. It is really really sad that Gays and Lesbians are still being brutally assaulted and fall innocent victims of abuse and unnecessary harassment in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 58,992 times
I live in the Southtowns and occasionally spend time in the Elmwood & Allentown sections of Buffalo and have never had any problems in either area. 505 Elmwood is low-income housing near Women's & Children's Hospital and I have no idea whether it's a "good," "bad," "secure" whatever building. (Many years ago I lived in a major US city near a very bad public housing project & have been a victim of two street crimes, so I have a bit of experience...)

I read the Buffalo News daily & haven't seen any reports of these crimes. I would think if these claims were legitimate, true area LGBT community activitists would be talking to the major press, not posting on craigslist.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,132,139 times
My girlfriend lived a couple houses down from that housing. It does look shady and it's not the nicest of people but honestly there wasn't many issues. It shouldn't sully all of Elmwood. You don't like it? Walk on the opposite side of the street like I did. Low income housing is always going to have the scumbags that don't care but generally if you don't bother them, they don't bother you. Give them a reason, then you will have trouble.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,843 times
In the 1970s, there was an entire row of Victorian Houses there which, on a Sat. or Sun, all of a sudden burned down. In a short time, this went up. I always wondered if it was arson to clear the block. When it first went up, it was nice... However, that is many, many years ago.

If you don't like it, do no go by it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 94,622 times
Elmwood does have shady apartments here and there, however the majority of the area is very nice.

This isn't representative of the area.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM

323 posts, read 1,786,990 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. I dont have to walk by... I drive by..lol.
It did admittedly have me concerned.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 143,392 times
Yeah, that place really has some "weird" people loitering just outside of it, most of the time. Even when I go to the Bank of America, next to it, I have to be extra cautious.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM

252 posts, read 647,036 times
My understanding was that it was mostly full of seniors on limited fixed incomes.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 AM

744 posts, read 1,758,922 times
Correct 80% of the apartments are reserved for seniors per their web profile

Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 40,760 times
There full of all types just like edgebrood but they don't have bedbugs yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: