Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo or Norfolk?
Buffalo 11 33.33%
Norfolk 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM

213 posts, read 449,137 times

Advertisements

Both cities are similar in size, on water and have some great history! Which has a better:
-History
-Nightlife
-Downtown
-Job Market
-Waterfront
-Raising a family
-Food
-Sports
Overall:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
However, Norfolk does have the Atlantic Ocean nearby and a large Military Base so it gets the nod. However, it's basically choosing between crap and diarrhea regardless.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

The above statement is incorrect.

Buffalo NY: City 38.6% Black (100,774) Metro 13% Black (150,000)
Norfolk VA: City 43.1% Black (104,672) Metro 31.3% Black (522,409)

Neither city is "largely" Black, and Metro Buffalo is among the "Whitest" metros

List of U.S. cities with large African American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High unemployment? Both Buffalo and Norfolk have lower unemployment than the national average, and have lower unemployment rates than Sun Belt hot spots:

Buffalo NY Metro 7.7%
Norfolk VA Metro 7.0%

For comparison:
Phoenix Metro 8.7%
Charlotte Metro 11.2%
Houston Metro 8.9%
Las Vegas Metro 14.0%

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Dangerous neighborhoods? Neither city made the Top 25 most dangerous, but many Sun Belt cities did like Orlando, Atlanta, Winston-Salem, Dallas-Fort Worth, Charlotte, Charleston, and 3 (!) neighborhoods in Las Vegas.
25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

Bad things can happen anywhere, certainly. But one should not paint an entire city/region with a single brush.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-19-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 181,869 times
Buffalo in four words:

-Big
-Pile
-of
-Poop

Since the O.P. is so eloquent with words I thought I would share.....

Describe LA in 5 words

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM

146 posts, read 238,271 times
Being near the ocean and all is nice, but Norfolk is very hot in summer. Of course their winters are not as cold and not very snowy. Their big thing it seems is the naval base which could be good and bad, but probably is more good than bad overall. There are lots of nice young military families. When I was there I got to tour a submarine and that was really neat and interesting. The two cities seem to have a very different feel to them. I found that Norfolk and Virginia beach are very inconvenient to travel around in. Everything is far and driving/traffic is time consuming and stressful, unlike our easy drivability with numerous different ways to get places. Our waterfront isn't utilized the way it should be. We have more professional sports. Both places are very likeable.

As for certain posters on this forum, I once thought he or she was just obnoxious and annoying so now I'm glad to know about the racism.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
However, Norfolk does have the Atlantic Ocean nearby and a large Military Base so it gets the nod. However, it's basically choosing between crap and diarrhea regardless.
If there is anyone that has knows crap and diarrhea... it's you

Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM

83 posts, read 171,175 times
Somebody, anybody, please ban magnum. Look at the trash that he posts!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

You want dangerous go for a stroll down North Avenue in my home town (Baltimore). I guess growing up in Bodymore, Murderland may be why the "bad" neighborhoods of Buffalo don't scare me at all but a racist who grew up in the white upper middle class suburbs of downstate is scared to death of them?

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-19-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times
Well since I have lived in Virginia Beach (about 12 miles from Norfolk) and Buffalo for several years I think I warrant an honest opinion.

First off, I think Buffalo is a much better city than Norfolk, just city vs city. Nightlife Buffalo blows away Norfolk. For things to do as well. However, Norfolk has the advantage of the Hampton roads area, Virginia beach, Tidewater, Chesepeake, Suffolk, etc. They combine to form an overall more enjoyable place.

But if you just went Buffalo alone (without Niagara falls and Canada) against just Norfolk,,...it really is no contest. Norfolk was pretty lame. Their downtown was worse than Buffalo's and they just seemed to sort of lack a certain amount of ammenities. Now granted. I haven't even set foot in the Hampton roads area for some years, but I was never that fond of Norfolk. There wasn't anything really to their downtown, albeit except for a few nice looking historical neighborhoods.

Now a better comparison would be Richmond vs Buffalo. Those cities seem more similar. In that case I am not sure who I would choose. I never lived in Richmond, but have visited many times and liked it. Liked the layout of Richmond much better than Norfolk. Norfolk was just one of those cities that seemed blah to me. But that's just my personal opinion.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:19 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
You want dangerous go for a stroll down North Avenue in my home town (Baltimore). I guess growing up in Bodymore, Murderland may be why the "bad" neighborhoods of Buffalo don't scare me at all but a racist who grew up in the white upper middle class suburbs of downstate is scared to death of them?
Considered I delivered pizza while in college 20 years ago to the scum of the Eastside, I'd say I'm qualified to bash the area. When these scumbags learn how to tip, stop filling up $500 worth of food stamps with frozen dinners and potato chips at Wegman's, maybe I will have a better attitude about the demographics of your city. Especially the East and West Sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area