U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM

185 posts, read 204,612 times
Default Area Planning in the Mid 50's

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before on here, but I stumbled on this picture of the area's Infrastructure with the expressways that were planned in the Buffalo area, as I was looking over this map I was frightened and astonished as to what was planned for Buffalo and what could've been...

here's the said map

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM

176 posts, read 277,695 times
Anyone remember the "jetport" some wanted to build in Wheatfield, or was it somewhere between Buffalo and Rochester...this would have been 1969ish

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 AM

17 posts, read 27,581 times
I'd forgotten about the proposed jetport. You're not far off, if my memory serves. I believe it would have been Pendleton, not Wheatfield. 1969ish is also probably accurate, late 60s/early 70s until idea was shelved for good.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 PM

3,746 posts, read 5,087,227 times
How delighted I am they never built the "expy" to Lancaster or - God forbid - the Belt expwy out into Alden. If any of you remember, there was an intent to build the Bills Stadium out here. How glad I am they did not.

My husband grew up in an area the 33 divided (east-west). He said many of the beautiful old homes on the north-south section ( from the 198 down to the city) were moved and it virtually split the city politically, probably intentionally. Many were razed as well....How politically NY to do that...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM

744 posts, read 923,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before on here, but I stumbled on this picture of the area's Infrastructure with the expressways that were planned in the Buffalo area, as I was looking over this map I was frightened and astonished as to what was planned for Buffalo and what could've been...

here's the said map
This map is from around 1970. SUNY Buffalo did not exist until the mid 60's. UB was private.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
This map is from around 1970. SUNY Buffalo did not exist until the mid 60's. UB was private.
Not exactly. The state was in buying mode for years. UB was private only until 1962 (SUNY system was started 1947, I think). SUNYAB was at only the South Campus until they branched out into the buildings on Ridge Lea Rd., Amherst c. late 1960s and North Campus started in the early 1970s. If some people had had their way, there would have been no north campus...The state bought the land in an attempt to trade to the city for Grover Cleveland golf course and making a city campus, accd'g to a friend's parents who were highly involved in keeping it a city campus. It sure would be a different place if they had. Instead, we got the stupid rail to nowhere in the mid 1970s

I think this is planning stages

Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 AM

So if the map is from the 50's does that mean the State was going to build a University in Buffalo with or without taking over UB? Were they buying land before the merger? I had heard that originally UB was going to be on the Waterfront where the Erie Basin Marina is. Thank goodness that didn't happen that land generate a lot of property tax for the City UB would generate none.

Were they going to enlarge Buff State and make that a University if they did not merge UB into SUNY?

Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
So if the map is from the 50's does that mean the State was going to build a University in Buffalo with or without taking over UB? Were they buying land before the merger? I had heard that originally UB was going to be on the Waterfront where the Erie Basin Marina is. Thank goodness that didn't happen that land generate a lot of property tax for the City UB would generate none.

Were they going to enlarge Buff State and make that a University if they did not merge UB into SUNY?
I do not think the map is 1950s as SUNY was private to 1962. Technically, there should be a date, but I cannot see any. However,the state must have had plans to buy it much earlier and to expand it. SUNY Main Street was always going to stay and that is a good part of why we got the "rail to nowhere" ( it was supposed to go to suburbs and suburbs wanted no part of it -- go look at LaSalle Station: it was supposed to be to go to the Tonawandas -- Tonawanda paved over some of the rails and built on others to keep it out!)

Between 1962 and 1970, SUNY burst at the seams and they overflowed into prefabs out on Ridge Lea Rd. north of Maple east of Nia. Falls Blvd (now they are offices). Buying that land out in Amherst was, from people I knew who were active in politics, was what the state thought was the way to get the city to trade Grover Cleveland Gold Course to the state for a bigger park in Amherst so SUNY could be built in the 1970s on Grover Cleveland golf course as a city campus; technically, plans drawn up called it a city campus and the parking reflected it when North Campus was built: it was assumed you would use public transport or walk in the city. So, when it got built in Amherst, the parking was horrible... Never ever heard it was to be on the Waterfront.

Buff State was enlarged enormously from 1964 to 1969 and has added more class buildings since. It was a lot smaller when my husband started there. It was basically enlarged when I was there, but much more has been done in the over 35+ years after. There was talk of taking some of the State Hospital for additional land in the 1970s; the college is actually on what was the State Hospital's farm, if you look up really old maps.

Maps like this are originally all plans out of the State govt. in Albany... you see all the expwys? They wanted the Bills Stadium in Lancaster and we'd have had a disaster out here with more development ( we still have farmland behind us, thank heavens!). So glad the stadium went to Orchard Park... All those expressways would have served the location planned for the stadium. You'd have had total chaos with more expressways. That Belt ( North-south ) expwy in Lancaster? Just outside the village, it'd be be a road that would have cut the town in two, with the town east of it. Looks almost where Cemetery Road or Pavement Road is. The Lancaster Expw running to Broadway? looks like it was planned for where William St. is and to meet Broadway ( Rt. 20) out at the far east of town.

Having gone to both Buff State and SUNY, believe me, they NEVER would have or will merge. It is a real ego thing

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 10-22-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM

185 posts, read 204,612 times
I didn't notice the UB Amherst campus until donbuy pointed it out, I was angrily looking at Lancaster EXPWY and the Large Looping Beltway, and since it was mentioned over and over that this is planning it could've been mid 60's with the whole new campus in Amherst nonsense...my mistake...carry on

Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Never ever heard it was to be on the Waterfront.
Read the eighth paragraph from the UB Website link below.

Tracing the path of UB’s North Campus - UB Reporter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area