U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 14,980 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Buffalo, coming in to check out some properties/apartments that look okay...Does any of these streets ring a bell?

And if they do yay or nay? I am looking for a super safe through moderately safe area (aka: if I use my common sense I should be just fine) THANKS!

PS...I am a single, 26 yr old female. And the following locations are all in Buffalo.

North at Elmwood
602 Elmwood Ave
122 Austin St.
129 Fisher St.
98 Domedion Ave.
159 Ashley St.
98 Farmer St.
222 Smith. St.
52 Langmeyer
82 Armbruster
46 Brownell

If you feel that there are better areas for me to consider, with a price range of no more than $600 (close to D'Youville College) PLEASE let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,919,439 times
These are the best 2 on your list though Elmwood at North is a bit sketchy. I'd list them both right around moderately safe. A little further north on Elmwood is a lot safer.
North at Elmwood
602 Elmwood Ave

Stay away from these they are all basically in (or very, very close to) the East Buffalo Hood. Drugs, violence & gangs.
129 Fisher St.
98 Domedion Ave.
159 Ashley St.
222 Smith. St.
52 Langmeyer
82 Armbruster
46 Brownell

Riverside area, not as bad as East Buffalo but not good either.
122 Austin St.
98 Farmer St.

Elmwood, Allentown & Parkside (near the Buiffalo Zoo/Delaware Park area) would be the best as they are all safe & close to D'Youville but you might have a real hard time finding something in those areas in your price range (unless you are willing to do a rent room/roommate type situation).

If the whole roommate situation wouldn't work for you then your best bets are ...
North Buffalo/Kenmore
South Buffalo (near Cazenovia Park)
........ very safe but they are a little further from D'Youville.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Thank you so much jblake!

Okay...keeping in mind what you've suggested I have been trying to search for elmwood locations...but is there a particular cross street I should keep my apt. hunt above?

What do you think about Summer & Elmwood? Or Prospect Ave...which they also called West Village? And I also found a listing for Elmwood Ave...but in Kenmore NY? Is that an actual city (Kenmore) or a neighborhood?

Thanks again, you don't know how much of a help you!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Kenmore is its own village (not part of Buffalo) and anything Kenmore is good. Summer/Elmwood (and really anythign north of that) is going to be pretty good.

Most of Elmwood & Delaware are going to be fine. The area around North & Virginia have a bit of a reputation but I wouldn't say they were crime ridden or anything like that. Mainly property crime/vandalism kind of issues.

I would say try to stay on the east side of D'Youville (as far east as Delaware should be fine). Over on the west side of the school (Niagara St & Busti Ave) you can run into some bad areas pretty quick.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,009,137 times
For a 26 year old single female, ( you are younger than my daughters), I would say go north of Summer and look between Delaware and Richmond. North of the 198 expwy, going over as far east as Starin is still nice (the Hertel area is vibrant bet. Delaware and Starin.). North of the city, Kenmore is very reasonable and a nice village. You can go east when downtown if it is an apt. bldg and you "feel" the area is ok, but west downtown has gang activity. ( So does east of Main... you said in another post you wanted to completely avoid that kind of area. ) Thing is, nowhere are you going to avoid all of the problems. If you find a great apt. and you are far from D'Youville and don't have a car, you still need to walk to a bus stop. You should assess the bus situation on the NFTA website -- and then factor that in. As well, factor in if you want an area with shopping, as in the city, there are only a few really large supermarkets. You are coming from CA - look for an apt. w/heat provided (it is pretty high cost in older homes). Both my kids went to college outside of the city and commuted, but both looked for houses outside the city as well -- one wound up on the south city line and one far east. They both live in their cars. Now they live in the cars to get to and from work because the buses are horrible on their going to - coming home times.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM

@ jblake: THANKS AGAIN! You've been a lot of help!

@ BuffaloTransplant: I think that's good advice that I didn't even think about (the neighborhood I have to walk through to get to the bus stop) AND HEAT!!!! I most likely will find it extremely cold, and will run it all day...so if I can find a place with heat included----yay!

But since I probably won't be bringing my car, I would like to be close to an area with grocery shopping, laundry (if heaven forbids I don't have a washer/dryer or facility on site), a couple of restaurants (family/chain...doesn't matter). So far research says mostly Elmwood would have all that...right?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tela_St View Post

But since I probably won't be bringing my car, I would like to be close to an area with grocery shopping, laundry (if heaven forbids I don't have a washer/dryer or facility on site), a couple of restaurants (family/chain...doesn't matter). So far research says mostly Elmwood would have all that...right?

Yep, Elmwood would be perfect for all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or