U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,594,342 times

Advertisements

somebody asked about a generator..one guy said a woodstove with a generator is all you need if I read him right..I have seen some "non seasonal" houses by the lake with no central heat..

They did it long ago..hell ..they were tougher then ...

I have been trying to find a toxic free old house as you all may know...it sure would make it easy to get an old charming house without any asbestos..no pipes!!! And economical! Nat Fuel..eat your heart out! hahaha

Anybody live in one? When your fingers thaw, please let us know the drill
Cheers!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 16,649,912 times
I am sure you can make a house without central heat work in the winter. The question is, what will the cost be, and what are you willing to spend and/or put up with?

You can go with electric space heaters, install a wood burning or pellet stove, etc, to generate heat.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 AM

2,545 posts, read 1,793,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
somebody asked about a generator..one guy said a woodstove with a generator is all you need if I read him right..I have seen some "non seasonal" houses by the lake with no central heat..

I have been trying to find a toxic free old house as you all may know...it sure would make it easy to get an old charming house without any asbestos..no pipes!!! And economical! Nat Fuel..eat your heart out! hahaha

Cheers!
Many of the older doubles in Buffalo had (have?) a single large gas furnace/heater in the center of the living area of the house (dining room), with no forced air circulation. My sister lived in one of these houses for years on the West Side in the 1980s. This is very doable, but there are definitely warm and cold areas of the house. I need to ask her about utility costs.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM

877 posts, read 1,405,892 times
Yes of course you can overwinter without central heat. The question is what level of comfort do you want and what are you willing to pay for it. You could keep your heat at 55 for instance. However, if you are going to heat your house non-centrally and it's not gas you will pay much more than for central heat gas fuel. Even though electricity is near 100% efficent at the customer end, the cost is nearly 3x gas per unit energy. Electricity would only become economical if your central heat was about 30% efficient. Plus you'd have to run some pretty big wires and that would cost more too. Your best bet is insulation but unless you do it yourself, the paybacks are meh. You'd insulate primarily for comfort and secondarily for savings.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Many of the older doubles in Buffalo had (have?) a single large gas furnace/heater in the center of the living area of the house (dining room), with no forced air circulation. My sister lived in one of these houses for years on the West Side in the 1980s. This is very doable, but there are definitely warm and cold areas of the house. I need to ask her about utility costs.
I just remembered - my old piano teacher lived on West Avenue and she had an old cast iron thing a ma job in her parlor that she used to heat her flat.I recall it kept her small - maybe 1000 sq ft place toasty warm...I suppose if you had to you could add a portable unit to a perimeter room if need be. I was never cold there and I certainly wasn't heating up the joint with my Chopin..

Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Yes of course you can overwinter without central heat. The question is what level of comfort do you want and what are you willing to pay for it. You could keep your heat at 55 for instance. However, if you are going to heat your house non-centrally and it's not gas you will pay much more than for central heat gas fuel. Even though electricity is near 100% efficent at the customer end, the cost is nearly 3x gas per unit energy. Electricity would only become economical if your central heat was about 30% efficient. Plus you'd have to run some pretty big wires and that would cost more too. Your best bet is insulation but unless you do it yourself, the paybacks are meh. You'd insulate primarily for comfort and secondarily for savings.
I noticed on some renos of old houses in Buffalo like in Allentown they are ripping out the old system and replacing it with radiant floor heating...supposedly much more efficient..especially in a climate like ours.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,886,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post

Cheers!
I bolded your misinterpretation of the comment I made. Read my answer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area