Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to start a political debate, and I apologize if I have. They weren't my intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Another question... this time about the liquor laws.

In Texas, the laws are opressive. No liquor sales on Sundays, some places you can't buy alcohol period. No liquor sales in grocery stores... I take it New York State is much different in that regard, but can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Here in NY you can buy beer in any grocery or convenience store but need to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff (and they are open on Sundays after noon). Buffalo bars are open until 4 am.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post

That being said NYS isn't anywhere near as liberal as many of you right wingers claim it to be. In fact much of Upstate is very Conservative (by northern standards). 8 of the 12 General Assembly members from WNY are Republican ...... but you feel free to continue to generalize the whole metro area based solely on the leanings of inner city Buffalo.
If upstate was cut off from NYC/LI and a maybe few ultra liberal counties abutting them, this could be actually close to a "red" state. Upstate is, at the very least, on the conservative side of blue. If you take all the inner cities and a few locales like Ithaca ( which should be, IMHO, stuck in the San Francisco area, not central NY) out of the mix, you basically remove all the ultraliberals.

Unfortunately, since NYS is basically still run by Dems at the state level, we are Congressionally gerrymandered into insanity. ReppingDFW should look at one of our Congressional maps and who is where if he is interested in the political leanings, as well as the state and county maps. He should keep in mind that we will be destroyed by Albany redistricting prior to the next national election and also that no matter what, while we are attached to the millions of warm bodies down in NYC, we will always remain blue.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM

55 posts, read 157,520 times
Not sure if this was mentioned but you can't buy wine at the grocery stores here either =(

Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
Funny how all those "ultra-liberal" areas, SF, Ithaca, NYC/LI, seem to be faring a bit better than many other places financially. Just an observation. I wonder if those areas prosper during economic boom times?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If upstate was cut off from NYC/LI and a maybe few ultra liberal counties abutting them, this could be actually close to a "red" state. Upstate is, at the very least, on the conservative side of blue. If you take all the inner cities and a few locales like Ithaca ( which should be, IMHO, stuck in the San Francisco area, not central NY) out of the mix, you basically remove all the ultraliberals.

Unfortunately, since NYS is basically still run by Dems at the state level, we are Congressionally gerrymandered into insanity. ReppingDFW should look at one of our Congressional maps and who is where if he is interested in the political leanings, as well as the state and county maps. He should keep in mind that we will be destroyed by Albany redistricting prior to the next national election and also that no matter what, while we are attached to the millions of warm bodies down in NYC, we will always remain blue.
I doubt the Gerrymandering in NY could be worse than Texas... especially with our new maps.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Here in NY you can buy beer in any grocery or convenience store but need to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff (and they are open on Sundays after noon). Buffalo bars are open until 4 am.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned but you can't buy wine at the grocery stores here either =(
I'm not much of a wine drinker... so I don't think that'll be a problem haha

Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I doubt the Gerrymandering in NY could be worse than Texas... especially with our new maps.
Please tell me what conservative Clarence/Lancaster in Eastern Erie County has in common with Ithaca ( it is in one proposed map of the gerrymandering of NY 26). It is a potential map; contacted all my reps and all said it is preliminary..We won't know who we vote for for months. (Gotta love the gys in Albany) All I see is that is ensures a Dem district of no common issues as Albany lives in fear they won't entrench a Dem -- just like the "C" gerrymandering of Slaughter's district last time.

A district is supposed to be made of like-minded people who live in the smallest possible area. NYS makes it gerrymander to ensure king Chuckles Schumer gets his kingship renewed so that Albany gets favors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area