U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM

97 posts, read 82,620 times
Can anyone provide information on specific neighborhoods and/or rental companies that services one or more of the areas that have been recommended?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM

29,077 posts, read 33,033,661 times
Actually, there's Canisius, Medaille, D'Youville, Buffalo State and Erie Community College just within city limits. UB is on the edge of the Buffalo/Amherst line. Hilbert College is in the Southtowns and Daemen is in the Snyder community in Amherst.

Also, Kenmore is a very dense village adjacent to North Buffalo that you can barely tell where one ends and the other begins. It also was designated as a top 10 neighborhood by the APA: Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

It is also one of the top 100 communities in the country in terms of density according to the 2000 census as well.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

650 posts, read 447,722 times
Unfortunately taxes in Kenmore are nearly triple what you'd find just south of there in Buffalo.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 AM

29,077 posts, read 33,033,661 times
Renting changes things. Here's a great website for the area and other areas you are looking into: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 AM

Tying things together. Based on the criteria listed in my original post, which among Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany would be the best fit?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 AM

I can't speak to the other metropolitan areas that well. I think Buffalo has a lot to offer at a reduced price. Syracuse and Rochester both get more snow than Buffalo, but I like snow There are too many variables unanswered. I think the biggest plus for Albany is that there is a 3hr trip to NYC and a 4hr trip to Montreal. Buffalo is about 1.5 hours from Toronto. My kids love the Ontario Science Centre. There are too many variables to make a definitive "best fit" selection.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM

Okay, then let me ask at how much of a reduced rate? What would rents in Buffalo be for nice, studio or one-bedroom apts in desirable, centrally located neighborhoods (downtown or a bit further out) with close proximity to shopping and other required services and public transit? Don't drive and therefore cannot consider areas too far outside the city core but still must be decent--clean, safe, quiet, convenient.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM

For a nice place in quiet / trendy areas that meet those requirements the range is probably from $500 to $900.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 AM

Thanks, Genoobie. Now, which areas might those be? And what neighborhoods would you recommend on the next lower tier but which are still safe, clean, quiet and affordable?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 AM

3,746 posts, read 5,090,784 times
npauthor:

you posted on the state site as well, I think. A progressive green vegan wanting outdoors? You wanted Ithaca in there? If so, pick Ithaca. You can be green and progressive to your heart's content.

Is this you? It is from the state section of NY:

"As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Ithaca, having heard and read about its superior quality of life. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Having grown up in NYC, snow, cold and, yes even the rain, do not scare me, though it has been more than twenty years since I actually lived through a "real" winter. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would Ithaca be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Ithaca is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area