U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,053,563 times

Advertisements

I was wondering who everyone would rather see win, or maybe rather see lose this Super Bowl.

New England vs the New York Giants.

UGH

I am a big Bills fan, and I have to say as tired as I am of the Patriots, of Tom Brady, and of Bill Belichek, but I also cannot forgive the Giants for beating the Bills in Super Bowl XXV.

So I am heavily torn. That said, I really am feeling like I would rather see the Giants lose.

Unfortunately, not having a winner is not an option.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,050,205 times
I'm not a fan of either team but I love to watch both of these QBs work as its a thing of beauty when they are on. If I had to choose I guess it will be the Giants as I like Eli a lot & dislike the rest of the Giants less than I do the rest of the Pats.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM

288 posts, read 436,173 times
You got to support New York since they aren't in the bills division and are in our state....Lets just hope that the airport plaza jewelers commercial isn't playing every two seconds.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM

199 posts, read 355,549 times
Considering this is the Patriots SIXTH Super Bowl in 15 years, and they're division rivals who consistently get two wins a season from Buffalo, it's hard to see Bills fans cheering for the Pats under any circumstance, but there are always outliers.

I know Norwood's field goal is the one pivotal moment everyone returns to, in the first Bowl against the Giants, but it was 21 years ago.. I've never seen that as a real rivalry and I'm more remorseful about the back-to-back losses against Dallas and the collapse against Washington in the following years. Anyway it's still New York.. for 35 years before the Bills, the Giants were the only NFL option in town, so I could see where older fans wouldn't grow up loathing the Giants.

I'm not a Buffalonian so I won't cast my vote, but I work here often enough so I'll canvass for the NY team (not that my screen name may allude to my leanings on the issue ). Interesting that the same topic is going on at the Vermont board, and Connecticut is also feeling the rivalry. Even the Berkshires of Mass has enough transplants from the city to feel a bit contested.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM

101 posts, read 213,870 times
I personally can not pull for proven cheaters, I absolutly HATE the Pats (Patriots my ass, they have NO honor)...Go Giants!!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,427,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
I personally can not pull for proven cheaters, I absolutly HATE the Pats (Patriots my ass, they have NO honor)...Go Giants!!
Agree 100%

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM

1,015 posts, read 3,015,797 times
The Bills are the only true NY NFL team, you have to get on the Jersey turnpike to watch the Giants or the Jets... in New Jersey. I've been a Bills fan for 50 years and imo no true Bills fan could Ever root for the Putriots...

Still, it sucks to have to root for the Giants... was really hoping the 49ers could have made it.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 AM

199 posts, read 355,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
The Bills are the only true NY NFL team, you have to get on the Jersey turnpike to watch the Giants or the Jets... in New Jersey. I've been a Bills fan for 50 years and imo no true Bills fan could Ever root for the Putriots...
Metlife Stadium/the Meadowlands is 8 miles from Midtown Manhattan.. 'the only true NY NFL team'.. isn't this a technical footnote? I'm not sure if you've been to NYC but there aren't many options in any of the boroughs for a stadium except Queens, where the development costs ran too high. Nassau wouldn't agree on a stadium (see the current issue with the Islanders) and Westchester doesn't have much real estate either. So have them play in Putnam or Orange County, a huge commute from NYC and LI, or 8 miles away in East Rutherford where land was completely being developed quite cheap. It made sense, although Jets and Giants fans do get tired of the NJ moniker.

Don't the Bills play a game every season in Toronto lately (as they try to attract a bigger market before a buyer moves them elsewhere)? Should I point out they're not quite Buffalo but instead the Orchard Park/Toronto Canada Bills?? I don't exactly need a passport to watch the Jets play their home games.. a stupid argument but you get my point.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,050,205 times
1 game/year in Toronto isn't the same as every home game in New Jersey since 1977. Giants+Jets = New Jersey & NYC metro teams ...... Bills = the real part of New York's team.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,053,563 times
I wouldn't root for the Giants because they are a NY State team, even if they were actually playing in NY.

New York city teams in general bother me in all sports. Being from NYC, they seem to have a smugness and superiority about them (even when they have no reason to be).

Nope. Not feeling loyalty to NYC up here in Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area