U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 AM

970 posts, read 1,549,267 times

Advertisements

It seems every few months, someone in the public eye says something negative about Buffalo. This in itself is fine, people are allowed to state their honest opinion. But Buffalo's defensive, childish, full of denial reactions to these occurrences makes me ashamed of Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,665,478 times
Smashing thread.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 AM

870 posts, read 1,242,966 times
Ack, the guy throws a ball for a living people, what does he know about anything and why would people listen.

"Dar, I'm rich and famous and so I must know everything..."

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 AM

199 posts, read 340,735 times
So someone can state their negative opinion of the city and it's fine, residents retort with theirs and its childish and defensive?

Perhaps at issue is that the city's well being is directly affected by its negative perception. The quarter million residents lost over the past fifty years have done a bit to strip the town of its tax base. Industries rarely consider Buffalo because.. well, "it's Buffalo", as if that is its own punchline.

A national figure taking a needless swipe at the town as though his father endured some miserable hardships in staying overnight here, for a football game that was paid for by the team, while his multi-million dollar son lead Patriots teams to four Super Bowls does sit a little uncomfortably with some. He can say what he wants, but Buffalonians have their opinion, which isn't childish or in denial. You can be ashamed all you like, we all have our opinions. Mine is that the guy is pretentious, but I'm a longtime Jets fan so I've heard his snarky comments for the last decade, it's not really news. Having stayed at just about every hotel in town (work brings me to Buffalo often, even now as I write from one of these god awful hotels), I don't find the amenities to be any less on par than with Worcester, Springfield, Hartford or Providence. There's no Ritz-Carlton, but this isn't New York. Neither is Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Minneapolis.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM

719 posts, read 1,263,303 times
What hotel does the visiting team normally stay at when they play the Billls?

I really don't understand why Tom Brady would make this comment. All NFL teams stay in 5-star hotels when they travel, no?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM

62 posts, read 101,628 times
Brady was asked about the support he has received from his parents over the years. He talked about his parents’ travels across the country and added, “I don’t know if you guys have been to the hotels in Buffalo. But they’re not the nicest places in the world.”

So he is stating that his parents stayed in a bad hotel here in Buffalo. There are plenty of cruddy hotels in every city.

This just proves Brady is not a good enough person to spring for one of the nice, luxury, downtown Buffalo hotels for his parents.

Everybody kicks this town, whether it be the sports, the weather, the hotels, the urban decay...we are a whipping boy.

Rise above it...we know the true city.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,404,684 times
Many of the nicer chain hotels are same in quality... A stay for me in a Marriot in Buffalo will be no different than a stay in a Marriot in Boston(similar tier of course). Unless he put his parents up in a motel 6, I can't see where he's coming from.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,477,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
All NFL teams stay in 5-star hotels when they travel, no?
Except Buffalo has no 5 star hotels. They need 125 rooms plus meeting space, only 4 hotels in Buffalo can service them - Adams Mark, Hyatt, Mariott and now the Embassy Suites,

A quick look at reviews on tripadvisor.com will show that the first three are basically considered ratholes by the travelling public. 53% og 362 reviewers gave the Adams Mark a thumbs down. The fourth was not yet built during the period Brady was referring to.

His comments about Buffalo's hotels though hurtful to some locals are the truth as perceived by many that stay at them.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,404,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Except Buffalo has no 5 star hotels. They need 125 rooms plus meeting space, only 4 hotels in Buffalo can service them - Adams Mark, Hyatt, Mariott and now the Embassy Suites,

A quick look at reviews on tripadvisor.com will show that the first three are basically considered ratholes by the travelling public. 53% og 362 reviewers gave the Adams Mark a thumbs down. The fourth was not yet built during the period Brady was referring to.

His comments about Buffalo's hotels though hurtful to some locals are the truth as perceived by many that stay at them.
Which Marriot? The one by UB? I stayed at that one for a week over the fall, and minus some annoying construction, it was no different than any other marriot I've stayed in.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,477,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Which Marriot? The one by UB? I stayed at that one for a week over the fall, and minus some annoying construction, it was no different than any other marriot I've stayed in.
In Buffalo which Mariott is not a question that needs to be asked as there is only one actual Mariott Hotel in the County. Looking at trip advisor it appears that that hotel was finally renovated last year - for the first time in some 15 years. But to Brady's defense he was talking about his early playing days.My undestanding is that the Hyatt is finally being made over as well.

Still there are no large upscale Hotels in Erie County as there are in other NFL cities save GB

My guess is that NFL Teams probably stay downtown as it is much closer to the stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or