Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM

56 posts, read 163,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I am working on a report that has to do with Akron specifically, so I already had all of the data sitting in front of me. Why don't you use some of your "IT skills" and look it up yourself? I don't feed other people's demands.
OK, didn't know that. Sorry. But honestly, Akron isn't Cleveland. Akron isn't nice, it's almost just like Buffalo, I really think that, going by the closed plants reminds my of Grider St. and other former industrial areas of Buffalo. Cleveland is a fun town, full of cultural amenities, and is really showing signs of turning around. Not just talking, but doing things that are bringing businesses and smart people to their town, even from the South. How many people move to Buffalo )and the suburbs) for high paying jobs? I'm going to say that's a very low number.

We had trouble with recruiting a certain IT manager because we weren't able to find people that wanted to move to Buffalo (and yes, we were offering a very nice salary)

Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
How many people move to Buffalo )and the suburbs) for high paying jobs? I'm going to say that's a very low number.

We had trouble with recruiting a certain IT manager because we weren't able to find people that wanted to move to Buffalo (and yes, we were offering a very nice salary)

Maybe in the IT field that holds true but nothing could be further from the truth in medical.

My wife is a radiologist, we specifically moved from Texas to NY for her job because all the northerners that have moved to Texas (among other places in the south & south west) have made it damn near impossible for a fresh graduate to find a good paying job in many fields. 2 years out of school & my wife was still working per diem gigs while having a full time job at Sears, at that point we had enough & decided it was time to leave Texas. We were actually looking at Boston & Baltimore (my hometown) when she was offered a position here that paid full relocation, a 5 figure sign on bonus & a higher salary than the offer she had in Foxboro, Mass (even though the COL there was much higher than here).

Also ....... most of the radiologists, doctors & at least half of the MRI & ultrasound techs she works with were recruited to come here as well because there just isn't a deep local talent pool to choose from.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Actually, I have heard that alot of medical professionals like Buffalo. Salaries are supposed to be very high here compared to other cities, and the cost of living is average, so it works very well.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Cleveland has its rough areas too. Check out much of the Eastside, East Cleveland and some parts of Euclid.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Quote:
Actually, I have heard that alot of medical professionals like Buffalo. Salaries are supposed to be very high here compared to other cities, and the cost of living is average, so it works very well.
There's a lot of truth to that. Her current salary is comparable to what she would make in SoCal & I'm sure you know how expensive SoCal is.

That being said it took me 2 years to get back to what I was making in Texas (but her raise more than made up for what I initially lost out on).

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM

62 posts, read 127,457 times
Negative diatribes bashing Buffalo are getting kind of old. Though you did put some facts and figures into this post, was your post really nessessary, or are you just looking for one last way to hurt Buffalo and its "unfriendly people" the way you believe it hurt you...

Just leave...take the negativity with you to Cleveland

Where in 2 years we will see a post about how "CLEVELAND SUCKS!!!"

Not a flame, just an observation about a negative post that wasn't needed...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Sorry, I regret talking about the people. I do think that Ohioans are generally far friendlier than the people here, but most people are nice in both places. I shouldn't have said that, and I'm sorry.

But I do object to this. The truth is that I made a mistake that I realized nearly right away, which was moving to Buffalo, I wish I had someone who told me the negatives about the area, because I sure heard all the positives, and many were untrue (like that alot of businesses are coming into Buffalo, and that the downtown is getting nicer). I will however admit, that since I've gotten here Chipewa St. has become alot nicer, the rest however, has become far far worse.

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to "hit Buffalo when it's down," I just want people to see this so that if they are looking for an area, that they hopefully know why every city in this area is shrinking very rapidly.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
I just want people to see this so that if they are looking for an area, that they hopefully know why every city in this area is shrinking very rapidly.
Yet Cuyahoga County Ohio lost over 113,000 people in the past 10 years...

Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yet Cuyahoga County Ohio lost over 113,000 people in the past 10 years...
That's true... Interesting that instead of defending Buffalo you go on the offensive and try to reshape the argument. To each their own, I guess.

If you're really curious, look at the Cleveland area as a whole, which actually grew by 0.1% (This includes Portage, Geauga, Medina, Cuyahoga, the northern half of Summit, Lorain, and Lake counties), versus the Buffalo area which shrunk by -3.0%.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
That's true... Interesting that instead of defending Buffalo you go on the offensive and try to reshape the argument. To each their own, I guess.

If you're really curious, look at the Cleveland area as a whole, which actually grew by 0.1% (This includes Portage, Geauga, Medina, Cuyahoga, the northern half of Summit, Lorain, and Lake counties), versus the Buffalo area which shrunk by -3.0%.
Not trying to flip the argument. Cuyahoga County lost over 113,000 people. Erie County lost over 31,000 people. So in fact, the "Cleveland area" is shrinking much more rapidly than the Buffalo area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area