Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM

230 posts, read 533,662 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's unfortunate that there's as much attitude and smugness among the Canadians that go cross-border shopping. The inferiority complex many have toward the US is definitely a big part of why they act the way they do there, but I think on top of that there's the HUGE misconception they have toward the US that it's basically hell on Earth - everyone's ultra-aggressive if not violent, ignorant, and the country is basically one big dump. Why be considerate if you're in a country like that? The truth is the opposite of course, but they will never see it that way even if you told them, because they need to justify to themselves why they live in essentially a bland, uninteresting country where mediocrity is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,227,015 times
Inferiority complex? Bland and uninteresting? Mediocre? That's a bit harsh, no?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 PM

908 posts, read 1,113,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I'm an American expat living in the Toronto area and cross the border quite often for cheap clothes, food, etc. (seems to be a Canadian tradition).

I'm curious how the locals there perceive the Canadians who seem to flock to the malls, Wal-Marts, and other stores in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area. Personally I can attest to being able to instantly detect whether I'm looking at a Canadian or an American within minutes as their demeanor is pretty distinct IMO.

I'm also curious why some people have said on this forum that there is so much similarity between southern Ontario and WNY. I'm not seeing it. The two are incredibly close geographically yet poles apart when it comes to basically everything else. So what's the deal?

I look forward to hearing all of your responses.

Canadians all drive like they're on the Autobahn. Lord knows how they escape the Troopers.

Also, I've found that if a person looks even remotely like P.M Stephen Harper, it's a Canadian.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,857,698 times
I live on Long Island and I find both Western New Yorkers and Canadians both to be nice friendly people. After not living in Western New York for many years I find the whole "Canadians are not friendly" thing to be a bit silly.

I think the big difference is that people from Toronto are part of a big city culture and Buffalo has a blue-collar culture. Both are pretty friendly by my standards (let's face it nearly anyone are friendlier than people on Long Island!) but they are from two different planets.

I agree that people from more blue-collar towns in Canada like St. Catherines or Hamilton have sensibilities closer to WNY'ers. Compared to other big cities I would say that Toronto isn't really that bad at all in the friendliness department, it's just that they have a different way of presenting themselves compared to people in smaller cities or rural areas. To me it's a large city vs small city thing.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,133,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I live on Long Island and I find both Western New Yorkers and Canadians both to be nice friendly people. After not living in Western New York for many years I find the whole "Canadians are not friendly" thing to be a bit silly.

I think the big difference is that people from Toronto are part of a big city culture and Buffalo has a blue-collar culture. Both are pretty friendly by my standards (let's face it nearly anyone are friendlier than people on Long Island!) but they are from two different planets.

I agree that people from more blue-collar towns in Canada like St. Catherines or Hamilton have sensibilities closer to WNY'ers. Compared to other big cities I would say that Toronto isn't really that bad at all in the friendliness department, it's just that they have a different way of presenting themselves compared to people in smaller cities or rural areas. To me it's a large city vs small city thing.
Long Islanders aren't rude. They speak their mind more and they may not be super friendly but they will go out of their way to help someone in need. A lot of LIer's are from NYC that migrated out of the city to establish themselves in the Burbs and for better schools and backyards for their kids.

I think the Canadian issue is more like what people think of Americans visiting European. That we are rude, smug, and think gracing them with American currency is like giving a gift from God. When you go to another country you have pride for your country and may have a vision of looking down on another country.

It's also the "eh it's not my home, I'll do what I want and they will deal because I'm spending money" type thing. I guess you put up with it so you can have revenue.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM

I can't speak for Long Islanders, but I will say that when I watch "What Would You Do?" which is filmed in various spots in the general vicinity of NYC I notice the people to be fairly helpful if they sense someone is in need. Additionally, they seem willing to speak up if they sense something is wrong in a situation. The fact is, and this is not an exaggeration, anywhere near the Toronto area - including the Niagara Peninsula - you wouldn't find that. There's much less of a willingness to go out of your way to help someone or to speak up against perceived injustice. I'm not the first one to point this out.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,684,903 times
Quote:
I can't speak for Long Islanders, but I will say that when I watch "What Would You Do?" which is filmed in various spots in the general vicinity of NYC I notice the people to be fairly helpful if they sense someone is in need. Additionally, they seem willing to speak up if they sense something is wrong in a situation. The fact is, and this is not an exaggeration, anywhere near the Toronto area - including the Niagara Peninsula - you wouldn't find that. There's much less of a willingness to go out of your way to help someone or to speak up against perceived injustice. I'm not the first one to point this out.
This is just false. I spent a good deal of my childhood in Toronto and people are very very friendly and helpful. More so than any big city I've been to in the states.
I find your other sweeping generalizations about Canadians to be off base and offensive.
Maybe you in particular receive bad treatment because of your bad attitude and judgmental behavior.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM

719 posts, read 1,546,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
This is just false. I spent a good deal of my childhood in Toronto and people are very very friendly and helpful. More so than any big city I've been to in the states.
I find your other sweeping generalizations about Canadians to be off base and offensive.
Maybe you in particular receive bad treatment because of your bad attitude and judgmental behavior.
I suppose I'll chime in too and defend our neighbors to the north. I never experienced any of the attitudes that many describe here. Not from Canadians visiting our side of the border or during my frequent trips to the Canadian side.
A family member had a cottage in Ft Erie and we would go quite often - no issues whatsoever. I used to work in a retail store where we would get many Canadian customers - again, no issues at all.
The only negative experiences I had with any Canadians was at Sabres games when they played the Leafs (somewhat understandable) and at Bills games occasionally (too much alcohol can be attributed to this I'm sure). But I don't feel a few "bad apples" at a sporting event can negate the overwhemingly positive experiences. The sweeping generalizations are indeed unfair and inaccurate as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Move up here then we'll talk.

And if you re-read my post, I was referring specifically to southern Ontario. Obviously there are huge differences between the people here and say, people in the Prairie or Maritime provinces, or even other parts of Ontario. If you're applying what I said to all Canadians that's your prerogative but I never implied it.

And if you feel I am generalizing people around here, you're right. I never pretended not to be. But I never said it applies to each and every person, it's just what you're more likely to encounter.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,684,903 times
Quote:
Move up here then we'll talk.

And if you re-read my post, I was referring specifically to southern Ontario. Obviously there are huge differences between the people here and say, people in the Prairie or Maritime provinces, or even other parts of Ontario. If you're applying what I said to all Canadians that's your prerogative but I never implied it.

And if you feel I am generalizing people around here, you're right. I never pretended not to be. But I never said it applies to each and every person, it's just what you're more likely to encounter.
no, you're not more than likely to encounter that. Like I said I have a parent form Toronto, so I spent a great deal of my childhood in Toronto. What you say couldn't be farther from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area