U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
Default Main Jewett Apartments and surrounding area

I'm moving to Buffalo, and I was wondering if anyone knew much about the Main Jewett Apartments and the surrounding area, specifically in terms of safety/crime? Anyone know of a good website that tells you about the safer areas of the city?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,770,145 times
Walk Score of 14214

http://www.city-data.com/zips/14214.html

Buffalo, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Buffalo - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM

810 posts, read 892,332 times
Found a couple negative reviews. I don't always put much stock in a small number as there is always at least one unhappy person. Main & Jewett Pkwy. Reviews | View Main & Jewett Pkwy. Ratings, Maps, Rentals & Photos | Buffalo New York

Both complaints were about the management company. Kendev. If you go to their website www.kendev.com you can get names of other complexes they run. Reviews can be found for those at apartmentratings.com and the ones i checked seemed to be mixed.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM

650 posts, read 447,033 times
I don't have good things to say about KenDev. You'd be better off finding a double if you can afford it. Other than that the neighborhood is fine.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM

63 posts, read 49,523 times
The Buffalo Police Department puts its crimes on this site: https://www.crimereports.com/
Keep in mind that many of the suburban police departments do not, so the lack of crimes on the map doesn't mean they're safer (necessarily), it just means there's no data. Buffalo, like any city, has good and bad neighborhoods and good and bad suburbs.

The area around Main & Jewett is generally a pretty decent area. Lots of nice old houses and it's not far from Delaware Park and the Buffalo Zoo. Main Street is a very important street and the subway line runs under it, useful if you work downtown or at UB and don't want to deal with/pay for parking.

The general rule in Buffalo is that anything west of Main Street is relatively safe and everything east of it is not. This isn't totally true, as South Buffalo is not bad, there are some bad pockets on the West Side, and there are safe and relatively nice parts of the East Side, but it's a good rule-of-thumb for a newcomer.

The neighborhood you would like is dependent on what you're looking for. North Buffalo (considered anything north of Delaware Park, west of Main Street, and east of Grant Street) is stable and family-oriented. There are large pockets of student housing (student ghettos) south and west of UB and around Buff State College. Young professionals live in the Elmwood Village or Allentown usually. Black Rock and Hertel are up-and-coming neighborhoods. Downtown is still pretty sketchy as a place to live, but there is a lot of construction going on there to make it better.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM

661 posts, read 361,179 times
A friend and I looked at Main-Jewett when we moved up there a few years back. I liked the area and it was one of our top spots. I wouldn't consider it to be dangerous by any means. Not the most fantastic environment but for Buffalo you won't have any problems. If I recall, lots of parks and the zoo nearby.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 PM

32 posts, read 61,274 times
My 28 y/o son lives at the corner of Parkside and Jewett and loves it. Being near the park and the zoo is a big plus for someone young, and it is within walking or biking distance to the bars and restaurants on Hertel. There is an annual garden walk in the neighborhood. Young people are moving in and investing and maintaining their homes. Very, very few signs of distressed property.

I would say that the further west of Main St., the better.

As for websites, I use zipskinny when researching an area. Breaks down a metro area by educational attainment and income, which usually points to the better neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area