U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
 
491 posts, read 991,348 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by warm heatherette View Post
As a life time Niagara resident (Canada), I can confirm there is a lot of cancer in the area. I believe its probably epidemic, but that's another debate. Cancer's coming at us here from all directions - air, water, food.

Hamilton & Toronto in Canada can be heavily smoggy, & as they are only a short distance from Buffalo, when sandwiched together I'm sure the air quality, particularly during the summer isn't the greatest over the entire Niagara Region - Canada & US.

Don't drink the water!! Invest in a top notch filtration or reverse osmosis system, or buy reputable bottled water. Think Lake Erie & Lake Ontario as your sources of drinking water - OK not as polluted as they once were during peak industrial times, but polluted nonetheless. I don't care how well they claim it's purified - it's probably not enough. Taste and smell the tap water - yuck! And some municipalities add flouride - another carcinogen!

Eat organic. The Niagara Region - Canada & US - are still heavily into pesticides/fungicides and insecticides, all carcinogenic. And this is the green belt - loaded with fruit and veggie farms on both sides of the border! Livestock is pumped full of growth hormones and force fed food they would never eat naturally. It's a damn shame. I tend to seek out those few local farmers that grow organically (not many) or dig into the wallet and buy imported organic food - Wonderful Wegmans is a great source, & Tops is carrying much more organic as well.

I love this area of Canada & the US, but if you're concerned for your health as it relates to what you eat, breathe and drink, there's probably better places.
be careful with organic, new rules in the U.S. allow chemicals to be used on products labeled to be organic. if you are that worried about it you should make sure you know what you are eating, organic or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
 
106 posts, read 265,349 times
Reputation: 85
Default Dirty Little Secret in WNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalopc View Post
about the toxic emissions in and around Buffalo? I have had, for some time, significant concerns and can't shake them. In fact, that, of all reasons, is the only one that keeps me from choosing to set down roots here. I love the people, the pace of life, the low cost of living, but if it means dying of cancer due to the crap in the air and water here, it's too much to risk. Would love other perspectives on this.
Hi Buffalopc--

Unfortunately, you have good reason to be concerned. Here's one example from your area. People in WNY tend to think of Chautauqua County as beautiful, pristine contryside. I read a article a newspaper called The Word (link below) titled: Chautauqua County's Dirty Little Secret. Here's a snip from the article:

According to the Environmental
Protection Agency, Chautauqua County
ranks as one of the Dirtiest/Worst
Counties in US in five out of six categories.
We score in the worst percentile
in the “Cancer risk score (air and water
releases)” and are also getting failing
scores for “Air releases of recognized
carcinogens.”
Chautauqua County also fails in
ranking of the number of housing units
with a high risk of lead hazards, in the
bottom ten percent of the U.S. Seven
percent of all homes in Chautauqua
County are at risk.

Link: http://www.3thick.com/WEB%20FILE%20WORD%20issue30_8207.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 PM
 
106 posts, read 265,349 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by warm heatherette View Post
Hamilton & Toronto in Canada can be heavily smoggy, & as they are only a short distance from Buffalo, when sandwiched together I'm sure the air quality, particularly during the summer isn't the greatest over the entire Niagara Region - Canada & US..
I'll bet quite a bit of the air pollution comes from that monster coal plant just across the lake in Canada -- Naticoke. It's one of the top polluters in Canada, but is scheduled to be decommissioned in a couple of years. Until then, they'll keep buying all those "green tags" from the wind companies that allow them to keep pumping crap out into the atmosphere rather than clean up their act. What a world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada
131 posts, read 527,651 times
Reputation: 41
There's also the monster power plant on the US side at Somerset, along Lake Ontario, pumping its share of toxins into the air. With Nanticoke on Erie and Somerset on Ontario, Niagara on both sides gets sandwiched with the crap. >cough cough< It's in the air, and 'dusting' the crops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 2,283,562 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalopc View Post
about the toxic emissions in and around Buffalo? I have had, for some time, significant concerns and can't shake them. In fact, that, of all reasons, is the only one that keeps me from choosing to set down roots here. I love the people, the pace of life, the low cost of living, but if it means dying of cancer due to the crap in the air and water here, it's too much to risk. Would love other perspectives on this.
New York seeks to clarify West Valley cleanup responsibility Daily Record (Rochester, NY) - Find Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
 
3,861 posts, read 5,347,657 times
Reputation: 2108
My husband is a 3th generation Buffalonian and a 6th generation WNYer; I'm a transplant, for about 40 years. Neither of us nor any of our children have any medical problems which can be related to brownfields or industry. [Then again, I have always lived on land that was farm before the houses...... no industry.We live withing spitting distance of 3 farms: one east, one west and one south.] We get a good deal of our pollution (airwise) from what is west of us....rust belt cities like Gary, Indiana have been cited to contribute to out pollution (and that was when the mills were still running!).

Buyer beware is the keyword: if you want to settle here, go talk to the Corps of Engineers and find out if you are picking something in a floodplain or a brownfield. Check the deed for the land to see what else it was. Pick a place where they is no obvious development prior to the home being built (the county was once all farmland). Be aware that the NOAA people on Aero Dr can tell you how many days of the year we have sunshine and how many days the wind blows from what direction (no, it isn't always up the lake!)

If you want to live in the city or first ring suburbs, you chance being on a brownfield in many areas. Move out to the far ends of the county, or over the county line -- north or east or south. I will take this place anyday over the costs and hazards elsewhere.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 10-01-2007 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 2,283,562 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by warm heatherette View Post
There's also the monster power plant on the US side at Somerset, along Lake Ontario, pumping its share of toxins into the air. With Nanticoke on Erie and Somerset on Ontario, Niagara on both sides gets sandwiched with the crap. >cough cough< It's in the air, and 'dusting' the crops.
and dont'forget that waste plant in Lewiston Porter area where they get stuff like tom brokaws anthrax to dispose of...there is also a lot of ground contamination from the old days of uranium production..you also have that nuclear power plant along the lake..by the way has anyone heard of the radioactive isotopes they have found along the shores of the lake?
What a shame..how come Vermont doesn't have these issues...btw Niagara County now has the highest taxes in the country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 2,283,562 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
My husband is a 3th generation Buffalonian and a 6th generation WNYer; I'm a transplant, for about 40 years. Neither of us nor any of our children have any medical problems which can be related to brownfields or industry. [Then again, I have always lived on land that was farm before the houses...... no industry.We live withing spitting distance of 3 farms: one east, one west and one south.] We get a good deal of our pollution (airwise) from what is west of us....rust belt cities like Gary, Indiana have been cited to contribute to out pollution (and that was when the mills were still running!).

Buyer beware is the keyword: if you want to settle here, go talk to the Corps of Engineers and find out if you are picking something in a floodplain or a brownfield. Check the deed for the land to see what else it was. Pick a place where they is no obvious development prior to the home being built (the county was once all farmland). Be aware that the NOAA people on Aero Dr can tell you how many days of the year we have sunshine and how many days the wind blows from what direction (no, it isn't always up the lake!)

If you want to live in the city or first ring suburbs, you chance being on a brownfield in many areas. Move out to the far ends of the county, or over the county line -- north or east or south. I will take this place anyday over the costs and hazards elsewhere.
and when I looked at areas where farms were, I was most concerned by the crop spraying on things like soybeans, corn, etc...I have seen some nasty crop dusters - I would not want to live anywhere near a farm that sprays - also chicken farms are nasty...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
 
491 posts, read 991,348 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
and when I looked at areas where farms were, I was most concerned by the crop spraying on things like soybeans, corn, etc...I have seen some nasty crop dusters - I would not want to live anywhere near a farm that sprays - also chicken farms are nasty...lol
Yeah, what is weird is while I have seen crop dusters a few times in the 6 months Ive worked in pittsburgh and wv, I have never seen one in Chautauqua County in the 28 years I lived there. Are they common in the rest of wny? Chicken Farms are nasty, there seem to be alot in WV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
 
1,309 posts, read 2,283,562 times
Reputation: 285
don't know but a friend was driving thru Chatauqua and saw the albino deer which some say are attributed to the radiation from West Valley...they were very weird looking and scary..they buried these uranium rods below ground ...not sure I'd eat any food from that area anyway...a lot of nasty stuff gets talked about all thru western new york cause they did so much with nasty chemicals for so many years..developers gettin fill from contaminated areas..homeowner moves in and two weeks later the dog dies - stuff like that...makes ya wonder! Still it is pretty in lots of areas- guess it's buyer beware as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top