Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 46,671 times

Advertisements

I am looking to vent to fellow Buffalo haters. Or even just know they are out there lol! I want to see if you see the same things I have noticed or hey maybe it IS just me! Please dont respond if you are looking for an argument or if you think Buffalo is fantstic...Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 PM

341 posts, read 683,901 times
Well, I hate the lack of police action... And, I hate the fact that you can't get real Mexican food here (Or, at least I've not found it).

That's about it for me.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM

I am not from here but I have lived here for a long time. So far everyone seems really nasty and bitter. There are tons of drugs and alcohol here. I am aware it is like that all over but it seems more normal here than anywhere else. I havent met too many females that arent pigs and where infidelity is the norm. Family is by farthe least important thing and then people say their family is first here then they say my effin mother is such a ***** or my sister is a *****! This is not a specific part of town or anything and Ive hear it from more people than I care to admit. If you dont have a DWI your the odd one lol. So far I havent seen the best of Buffalo NY. The food seems to be the only thing I enjoy here....Pizza and Mexican does suck tho!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM

146 posts, read 238,119 times
I can understand hating certain things around here, but really your complaints don't seem to hit the mark from what I've seen in my 30 odd years of living in the area. Perhaps you could expand your circle to people other than the patrons of mr. goodbar or similar establishments?!!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM

83 posts, read 171,100 times
Go away. All of you.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,444 times
I will offer some firsthand reasons having lived in WNY for over 20 years before happily enjoying life in The Valley of The Sun. I will offer some contrasts of BUF to PHX due to personal experience rather than just bash BUF without any comparisons.

1) People say "thank you" when you hold a door out here in AZ. Many in WNY lack manners and don't feel the need to acknowledge a polite gesture.

2) Welfare entitlements in BUF and NYS in general. Encourages laziness whereas AZ doesn't give those handouts forcing more people to get off their ass and work. Unemployment for that matter caps out at just over $200/week here. Can't live on that unless you are off the grid in Winslow. NY pays out over $400 and lessens the urgency for lazy NYers to find employment.

3) Haven't met a rude Hispanic in 6 months here and I travel and shop a lot throughout AZ. Yet, the minorities like the "Eastsiders" hold up lines when they get their monthly checks using their Food Stamps at Wegmans or hold up gas station lines for 10 minutes picking out 20 different $1 scratchoff games while others who WORK need to get gas on their lunch break...Saw that firsthand even in Amherst for over 20 years. People don't tolerate that crap in AZ. You can't live on government handouts here. You work on or off the books. I'd rather deal with an illegal who works off the books in construction and is polite in public to some rude and fat Eastsider on welfare/stamps holding up lines talking at the top of their lungs at supermarkets and gas stations any day. While holding a $300 cellphone.LOL.

4) The Weather and diverse options in AZ. 110 is hot but you don't shovel sunshine. I can swim and kayak 12 months of the year here. I can hike 8 months of the year at lower elevations. In Buffalo/NY, 4 months tops. It's either too snowy or muddy to do hiking 8 mths of the year. You can swim outdoors and ski within one hour during the winter here. Ask people in Tucson. Mt Lemmon is a 20 mile drive to ski and they can swim outside afterwards. How novel. When you are freezing your ass off in BUF from November to March, you have no alternative unless you book a flight.

5) State income taxes. Generally around 3% here. $90 in a $3000 check ain't too shabby. What's NY's again ?

6) Can catch waves year around in San Diego. Lake Erie doesn't have waves and you are 6 1/2 hours from my stomping grounds Downstate with real waves. PHX to SD is 4 1/2 hour drive for surfing year around.

7) I can go from 1000 feet elevation in PHX to 7000 ft in Flagstaff in less than 2 hours for a complete 180 in climate and scenery. What's the highest peak your way within 2 hours ? 2500 feet in Western Pennsyltucky ? Mt Humphreys is appx 12500 ft near Flag.

8) Four major pro sports teams to your two. Plus one more championship than any of you Buffalo choke artists have witnessed unless you remember the mid 1960's AFL years.

9) PHX and Maricopa County controls state politics. WNY/BUF is NYC's little punk and always will be. NYC overrides your "pop drinking" lives and always will ! Great being back in "soda" country again even though I haven't drank it in quite awhile.

10) Buffalo is still the third poorest major city in the US. Erie County and WNY's population has dropped for 50 years. There is a reason people are leaving. I'm sure you know the reasons why but are blinded just so you feel less guilty about planting your seeds in Buffalo through rationalizations.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 AM

Now I will dismiss the stereotypes WNY loving hacks have here about PHX.

1) Myth #1 . "Enjoy home invasions." If you don't deal, you aren't a target. Live a clean life and you are fine here. Some of my coworkers have lived here all their lives and have never been victimized in 40 plus years.

2) Myth #2 "Have fun dodging illegals". Many of them work. They aren't home 24/7 watching Jerry Springer like East and Westsiders in Buffalo along with the rural hicks in the Southern Tier where generations have kids out of wedlock as a 16th birthday present to their families while NY Taxpayers support them financially.

3) Myth #3 " The Desert sucks". If you are a physically active person that enjoys hiking, AZ is paradise 12 months of the year. I have hiked Camelback and Picketpost Mt nearby PHX. As well as the greener and higher peaks up north near Payson and Sedona.

4) Myth #4 " Enjoy the sprawl and strip malls." Fashion Square in Scottsdale and Chandler Fashion Square make Walden Galleria look like Summit Park in Niagara Falls.

5) Myth #5 "AZ is full of racists." Nope. People that don't like seeing healthy adults living off the system. The Mexicans and Caucasians blend well at my job and everywhere I have been here. There is an old school attitude about respect. Mind your business and respect every walk of life . The white trash along with East and Westsiders generally do not deserve respect. They have a selfish entitlement attitude where they feel they are owed something and do not need to give anything back. Again, very refreshing to not deal with such scum out here.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 AM

93,152 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Now I will dismiss the stereotypes WNY loving hacks have here about PHX.

1) Myth #1 . "Enjoy home invasions." If you don't deal, you aren't a target. Live a clean life and you are fine here. Some of my coworkers have lived here all their lives and have never been victimized in 40 plus years.

2) Myth #2 "Have fun dodging illegals". Many of them work. They aren't home 24/7 watching Jerry Springer like East and Westsiders in Buffalo along with the rural hicks in the Southern Tier where generations have kids out of wedlock as a 16th birthday present to their families while NY Taxpayers support them financially.

3) Myth #3 " The Desert sucks". If you are a physically active person that enjoys hiking, AZ is paradise 12 months of the year. I have hiked Camelback and Picketpost Mt nearby PHX. As well as the greener and higher peaks up north near Payson and Sedona.

4) Myth #4 " Enjoy the sprawl and strip malls." Fashion Square in Scottsdale and Chandler Fashion Square make Walden Galleria look like Summit Park in Niagara Falls.

5) Myth #5 "AZ is full of racists." Nope. People that don't like seeing healthy adults living off the system. The Mexicans and Caucasians blend well at my job and everywhere I have been here. There is an old school attitude about respect. Mind your business and respect every walk of life . The white trash along with East and Westsiders generally do not deserve respect. They have a selfish entitlement attitude where they feel they are owed something and do not need to give anything back. Again, very refreshing to not deal with such scum out here.
Talk about stereotypes...... Number 1 is pretty much the case anywhere. As for 4, what about the sprawl?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Dendrobium...your my prime example of rude people...why would you make an assumption when you have clearly no idea who I am or what I do. I have never even walked into Mr Goodbar since living here. I barely drink at all. I am a 31 year old mother of a 2 year old and before that I still thought this place was terrible. I have a large amount of acquaintances in all areas of Buffalo and surrounding towns. They seem to all be the same. Magnum0417 hits the nail on the head.....I know why its terrible here and he hit on all of the reasons why. I am unfortunately stuck here because my husband has family here and he cant leave them. So the reason why I said no Buffalo lovers answer is because of the dumb comment dendrobium made. I dont like Buffalo and many of its people that occupy it.Im trying to find other Buffalo haters so I can maybe make a friend while Im still stuck in this sespool. So again dont respond if your pro Buffalo because Im not interested in why you think its great nor your ignorant insults...although they just prove my point even more.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Talk about stereotypes...... Number 1 is pretty much the case anywhere. As for 4, what about the sprawl?
If one has a Drivers License and not reliant on things such as the NFTA (I won't mention what some have said this acronym stands for either), sprawl isn't a big deal. PHX doesn't have an extended subway system like many cities back east. However, there is a Metro rail from Tempe to Downtown if one wants to watch a D-Backs or Suns game. I drive everywhere but it is an option for those in the East Valley to get Downtown.

I like that sprawling strip malls and other things extend over 50 miles from Buckeye (far west suburb) to Apache Junction (far east suburb). Why ? You never get overrun with people at any given place when out shopping and running errands. Sprawl spreads out the population and that's a good thing. Environmentalists hate it because people are more reliant on automobiles. I could give a flip about those people. Most of them are in No Cal.

Now look at Buffalo. Because Walden Galleria and to a far lesser degree, Boulevard Mall are the only shows in town for the primary population areas, you get shady walks of life from the city and inner ring burbs creating problems constantly. Walden Galleria some 15 years ago was decent. However, been overrun by Eastsiders and other dirtbags who are paying cheap rent in Cheektovegas.NFTA doesn't help with that either. Thank god the subway never went up to UB North Campus like it was considered back in the 90's. Amherst would been way worse and it is already getting bad enough in the SW corner of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area