U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM

258 posts, read 532,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBYO View Post
Avoid the city of Tonawanda its depressed and going down without a fight.
When I moved to the city 30 years ago urban renewal had done its damage. Main street was a dead end, many of the stores were empty and entire blocks were vacant land. Slowly over the 30 years things changed and none of those thing are true now. While the city still has some challenges it is far from depressed and has been a wonderful place to live and raise my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,845,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Except Rochester is it's own MSA (I don't think any reasonably smart person would suggest that Rochester is a suburb of Buffalo, or vice versa).

St. Catherines is in what is called a CDA in Canada, again, I don't think that any person with an IQ over 60 would call St. Catherines a suburb of Buffalo or vice versa.

If I were you, I would go take a look as to how MSAs are formed, and their definition, and you would probably figure out why Pittsburgh's MSA stretches far and Buffalo's does not.

You truly are a spin master. I never claimed anything like what you are trying to put in my mouth. Its not surprising that you only quoted half of what I said & left out this part ......

Quote:
I don't really have a point as I understand why these areas are not included in Buffalo's MSA, just something I thought was intriguing as many of the counties that are included in Pittsburgh's MSA are actually not really that close to the city itself.
...... as it makes your whole post (which is nothing more than a flame & a weak attempt at an insult based on your own false interpretation of 1/2 a post) irrelevant.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,018,510 times
Sorry, I guess you understand MSAs, I am truly sorry, and I hope you accept my e-pology. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, and I read the post too quickly. I will make sure to spend more time reading your post, lest I read one too quickly (you know, I am fairly busy).

I am sorry for the emotional distress I might have put you through, please accept my sincerest apology.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 PM

I'm still waiting for anything to back up your claim that Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, and Pittsburgh are no longer losing population ..... or that Pittsburgh & Allegheny County are losing less people than Buffalo & Erie County.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 PM

421 posts, read 1,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I'm still waiting for anything to back up your claim that Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, and Pittsburgh are no longer losing population ..... or that Pittsburgh & Allegheny County are losing less people than Buffalo & Erie County.
The key thing is that metro Toledo, Cleveland, and Dayton, are not, the last time I looked it up, experiencing a net loss. Only the actual city is experiencing this, while the burbs of all three are growing. In short, folks from these areas are not tending to leave these areas. They just move within the metro area.

As far as metro Pittsburgh, this is a place that has had, the last time I looked it up, a continuous net loss from the metro area ever since the steel mills started closing in the 1970's. After hurricane Katrina, only New Orleans metro was losing more people than metro Pittsburgh, and some of the AM radio people around Pittsburgh were quite vocal about this.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
The key thing is that metro Toledo, Cleveland, and Dayton, are not, the last time I looked it up, experiencing a net loss. Only the actual city is experiencing this, while the burbs of all three are growing. In short, folks from these areas are not tending to leave these areas. They just move within the metro area.
According to these reports the metro area's of Dayton & Toledo are losing population (at a much lower rate than the actual cities but losing just the same) ......

Quote:
The area came in 59th out of the 100 largest metro areas in the country. The population dropped nearly 0.3 percent from 841,240 in 2005 to 838, 940 in 2006. From April 2000 to July 2006, Dayton's population slipped 1.1 percent from 848,056 to 838,940
Dayton population shrinks again - Dayton Business Journal:

Quote:
With 1,685 fewer people in 2007 than in 2006, the four-county Toledo metropolitan area ranked among the nation's top population losers last year, according to estimated figures released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.
toledoblade.com --

Here is some info regarding Cleveland, it seems that what you mentioned about relocation to the burbs has been true in the not too distant past but not so much anymore ...........

Quote:
Cuyahoga County's long, quiet slide toward becoming something smaller continued last year, and the entire region is now caught in the wake.

The U.S. Census Bureau will report today that Cleveland's home county lost another 13,000 people last year, the sharpest population loss of any American county except for one. Only Detroit's Wayne County lost more people in 2007.

The exodus from Cuyahoga, now a multiyear trend, is beginning to drag down the eight-county region.

Between 2000 and 2007, Ohio's largest county lost more people -- both in numbers and as a percentage of its population -- than any of America's 100 largest counties. During that span, Northeast Ohio lost nearly 50,000 people, according to a Plain Dealer analysis of the census data.

Quote:
Northeast Ohio's fastest-growing county, Medina, added only about 1,800 people in 2007 and about 18,000 since 2000, according to the Census Bureau. Meanwhile, Cuyahoga has lost about 98,000 people, or 7 percent of its population, since 2000.
Cuyahoga County's population drain now extends to the region - Metro - cleveland.com

Just for the record, I have no problem with Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo or even Pittsburgh. We just happen to have some posters on this board that take every opportunity to make Buffalo look as bad as they possibly can. My comment that you responded to was meant for someone else who a few pages back claimed that Dayton, Cleveland, Toledo & Pittsburgh were no longer losing population (when in fact they are) for no other reason than to belittle the Buffalo metro area. In another post claimed that Buffalo was losing more people at a faster rate than Pittsburgh (even though Pittsburgh has lost 60K people since 2000). Buffalo has a bad enough rep on its own, the last thing we need are people making things up to make it look even worse.

Last edited by jblake78728; 08-27-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,734,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
When I moved to the city 30 years ago urban renewal had done its damage. Main street was a dead end, many of the stores were empty and entire blocks were vacant land. Slowly over the 30 years things changed and none of those thing are true now. While the city still has some challenges it is far from depressed and has been a wonderful place to live and raise my family.
How are the schools nowadays, to compare my experiences? Do they still light up the park on Broad st, I forget the name of it now, has the great big gazebo.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM

258 posts, read 532,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
How are the schools nowadays, to compare my experiences? Do they still light up the park on Broad st, I forget the name of it now, has the great big gazebo.
Clinton Park is lit up every holiday season but has fewer and smaller trees since the 2006 storm. I have not had a child in the public schools in about ten years but my grandson is starting soon so I will have to let you know.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM

2,452 posts, read 4,688,761 times
During a recession people are less likely to move out of cities. If Toledo, Cleveland etc are not showing a loss this past year - they will again when the economy settles. Detroit is a big exception as many of the jobs left in a short time period.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,018,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
During a recession people are less likely to move out of cities. If Toledo, Cleveland etc are not showing a loss this past year - they will again when the economy settles. Detroit is a big exception as many of the jobs left in a short time period.
Buffalo is showing a loss, are you saying that Buffalo's loss is understated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area