U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM

45 posts, read 185,100 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out know how it is in Tonawanda, NY They have affordable houses out there. I was wondering does anyone live there and can tell how it is out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM

414 posts, read 986,381 times
Housing market is very affordable in Tonawanda, Its a suburb of Buffalo but a blue collar suburb. decent, but not the best in WNY

Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM

923 posts, read 2,449,907 times
First of all, there are three Tonawandas:
1. Town of Tonawanda
2. City of Tonawanda
3. City of North Tonawanda

If you are asking about the town - it is an older, first-ring suburb. Most of the housing was built between 1945 and 1960. In a very general sense, in the southern part of the town, closer to the city, South of Sheridan Drive, the houses and lots tend to be smaller and closer together. Mostly Cape Cod-type construction with one-car garages. The northern half, north of Sheridan, is more classic "suburbia" with ranches and colonials on larger lots.

The Village of Kenmore is part of the Town of Tonawanda. Most of the housing is turn-of the-century, but quite beautiful and stately.

The Cities of Tonawanda and North Tonawanda are older than the town and more densely populated. Here you'll find more urban type of housing on narrow lots. These cities have been swallowed up by the suburbs of Buffalo, but were once separated from Buffalo by farmland, which has since become suburban.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 AM

3,956 posts, read 5,608,661 times
Tonawanda is very reasonable. Best for value is really the older part of Kenmore and then for "nice" is the Deerhurst area of the town (it is not "reasonable or affordable" here for younger people... you can get up in higher prices w/gorgeous old homes built in the late 1920s). The closer you are to the city, the cheaper it tends to be in the village/town. Out farther the prices go up. You also might be considering the school systems; the town splits into KenTon and Sweethome.

I lived in the town for about 10 years when I was just out of college and loved it. I nver thought of it as being blue collar; basically, much of Buffalo is what most people call blue collar -- and many of those blue collar tradespeople make a darn better living than the white collar workers. They are just as nice and sometimes better as neighbors than someone who wears a white collar job on his/her sleeve.

Tonawanda also has a great parks system, a Golf Dome in one park and a Town Pool which hosted the World University Games, town pools in most parks for outside and several libraries.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM

131 posts, read 536,631 times
Historic North Tonawanda has lots to commend it in terms of character and recreation If you like boating this is a great place - "Gateway Park" opens to the Erie Canal from the Niagara River. Thousands of recreational boats cruise through here every year, and its a good spot to tie up and watch the free concert series that the park hosts every summer.

Tonawanda's proximity to the river and the canal is a real bonus. If you're lucky you might find an affordable home with waterfront or waterview. Great sunsets over the river too!

The Riviera Theatre is also awesome, home of an amazing old Wurlitzer, that I think they still use once a month.

If you like small, historic towns with character North Tonawanda would be one, with easy proximity to Buffalo, Niagara Falls & Canada.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM

103 posts, read 238,835 times
Used to visit my family in Tonawanda in the 60's. They lived on Lorelee Dr. Loved going there. I'm from PA. I love how much cooler it is there in the summertime than in PA! I think my cousin Tony Palombo is Chief of Police there now. Don't hear from any of them anymore. Saw it online.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,518,777 times
I just sold two homes in Tonawanda - people like the area very very much!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 PM

991 posts, read 3,336,272 times
How are the schools?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,518,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
How are the schools?

Business First does a huge rating on all the school systems in wny, I would go there and check that out!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 AM

991 posts, read 3,336,272 times
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area