U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 901 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Salamanca shortly. Can anyone give me advice that I need to know such as: "Are they friendly to newcomers", etc. I know I will be on the reservation, as 90% of the city is, but what other advice can I get about living here as what to do and not to do since it is a very small city. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,310,164 times
Since nobody responded to this thread, I'll bump it with some questions of my own. It's no secret that my wife and I have been considering various areas to which we might eventually move, and Salamanca seems to have some advantages. Therefore, my questions:

1) Are the Seneca Natives friendly to non-Native Americans, or is there a "clique" mentality?

2) Gas is very cheap in Salamanca compared to nearby areas, and I was told that that is because state taxes are not charged on the reservation. However, someone not far from there told me to "stay away from Indian gas" because it is not subject to the same regulations as other gasolines. He claimed that lots of cars have trouble because of filling up with gas in Salamanca. Is this true or is it blather?

3) The main problem people have with buying houses in Salamanca on the reservation is "you will never own your land". Well, unless you live in a zero-property-tax town in interior Alaska, you will never own your land no matter where you buy. (Stop paying your property taxes, and you'll see who REALLY owns your land!) Seems to me that you pay rent to the Seneca Nation if you own a house on the reservation (I've been told that you get a 99-year lease on the land), but then if you buy elsewhere you pay rent to the government in the form of property taxes. The question: Given that I don't care about "leasing the land" vs. so-called "buying the land", are there any other functional differences between living on the reservation vs. living off the reservation?

4) What's the average "lease cost" for land on the reservation if you have a house?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,628,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Since nobody responded to this thread, I'll bump it with some questions of my own. It's no secret that my wife and I have been considering various areas to which we might eventually move, and Salamanca seems to have some advantages. Therefore, my questions:

1) Are the Seneca Natives friendly to non-Native Americans, or is there a "clique" mentality?
Well, it depends. The Senecas, are much like most other folks in Chautauqua/Cattaraugus/Allegany Counties: a bit reserved around people they don't know, but once you get to know them, really no problems. It's probably some of the redneck/hillbilly habits of the locals that puts some newcomers off, but that's the general population not just the Senecas.

Quote:
2) Gas is very cheap in Salamanca compared to nearby areas, and I was told that that is because state taxes are not charged on the reservation. However, someone not far from there told me to "stay away from Indian gas" because it is not subject to the same regulations as other gasolines. He claimed that lots of cars have trouble because of filling up with gas in Salamanca. Is this true or is it blather?
That's bogus IMO. I've been buying gas on the Res (both the Catt Res near Gowanda and the Allegany down in Salamanca) for nearly fifteen years and never had a problem. They buy their gas from the same suppliers who sell gas to other gas stations in both New York and in PA.

Quote:
3) The main problem people have with buying houses in Salamanca on the reservation is "you will never own your land". Well, unless you live in a zero-property-tax town in interior Alaska, you will never own your land no matter where you buy. (Stop paying your property taxes, and you'll see who REALLY owns your land!) Seems to me that you pay rent to the Seneca Nation if you own a house on the reservation (I've been told that you get a 99-year lease on the land), but then if you buy elsewhere you pay rent to the government in the form of property taxes. The question: Given that I don't care about "leasing the land" vs. so-called "buying the land", are there any other functional differences between living on the reservation vs. living off the reservation?

4) What's the average "lease cost" for land on the reservation if you have a house?
The lease cost is in addition to taxes paid to the City of Salamanca for city services and to the Salamanca Central School District for schools. How much the lease cost would be, I don't know, but a local realtor could tell you. I don't think you will pay any town or county real estate taxes.

Among the benies of living in/near Salamanca is that you're next door to Allegany State Park (south of town) as well as the Kinzua Reservoir (west of town) and only about a half-hour down US 219 from the ski resort town of Ellicottville with its skiing, snowboarding and night life. The closest major shopping centers are Olean about 25 miles east on I-86 and Jamestown about 30 miles west on I-86. Hamburg, NY with its malls and much larger shopping areas as well as proximity to Buffalo, is about 60 miles northwest up the 219.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM

413 posts, read 794,921 times
Regarding buying gas on the rez... I live not too far from Salamanca and have worked there for periods. I monitor my vehicle's gas mileage at every tank fill and while working in Salamanca and getting my gas there, the calculation, or more specifically the number of gallons pumped expected, was consistently off. I've never seen this outside of the times working there. I attribute it to lack of accuracy in the gas pump meters... non-rez pumps require regular inspection & calibration. I've also heard locals indicate rez gas can cause problems, but I've never experienced that. I am positive however that you unlikely to save any money there because of pump meter inaccuracies. And generally, Seneca businesses are dumpy and barely maintained. I have little trust in any Seneca biz and avoid them.

On the plus side, the antiques mall downtown is cool, Allegany State Park is awesome, and the best apple pie in the world is in Salamanca, at Fiddlesticks.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM

I usually stop at the Seneca station at Steamburg when I'm in the Salamanca area. It's very nice, and I can't complain. I mostly stop at Wolf's Run which is on 438 near Versailles Plank Road between Gowanda and Silver Creek. It has a restaurant, car wash, and gift shop, and since it's right in the heart of the Rez, a lot of its customers are Senecas.

You are right, though, a lot of the Seneca businesses are kind of crumby.

Where is Fiddlesticks located? I live in Jamestown and am always on the look out for good places to eat out in our area.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,310,164 times
Here's what I'm reading from what y'all are saying - the Seneca Nation is under no obligation from any governmental entity to be accountable for many things (quality and quantity of things they sell, for examples)... is that true?

I suppose it'd make sense as they're supposed to be at least semi-autonomous... but wouldn't their own people suffer for anything subpar, just as the rest of us who buy their products would?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Linda, yeah I agree the place off the Steamburg exit is nice and actually there is a nice Seneca mini mart (brand new building) & gas station a couple miles further down... but they are the exceptions. Fiddlesticks is located in the parking lot area by the antiques mall & Worth's hardware... it's actually a house and it's also behind a relatively new bar/restaurant though I can't remember it's name. Eating at Fiddlestick's is like eating at home... always get the apple pie & house blend coffee.

Romani, I think you are roughly correct but I really don't know where exactly they are exempt from state or federal regulations... but it's made me realize how necessary those evil regulations are that we do have.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Linda, yeah I agree the place off the Steamburg exit is nice and actually there is a nice Seneca mini mart (brand new building) & gas station a couple miles further down... but they are the exceptions. Fiddlesticks is located in the parking lot area by the antiques mall & Worth's hardware... it's actually a house and it's also behind a relatively new bar/restaurant though I can't remember it's name. Eating at Fiddlestick's is like eating at home... always get the apple pie & house blend coffee.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Romani, I think you are roughly correct but I really don't know where exactly they are exempt from state or federal regulations... but it's made me realize how necessary those evil regulations are that we do have.
I always get freaked by the kids screaming down 438, helmetless, on their ATCs. It's almost as bad as the helmetless motorcycle drivers in PA.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Linda, FYI, I also appreciate good eats in the area, ones that make stuff homemade and/or do more than the basics or typical menu. A couple relatively new places that both serve excellent food:
- Corner Bistro in Frewsburg... everything is homemade. The highlights to me so far though I've not eaten dinner there yet are the homemade bread (wow) and homemade broccoli soup (so different from the typical mush everyone else serves)
- Coach's Inn on the east side of Jamestown (long time ago it was the College Inn), on the corner of Hopkins & rt.394. It's a small bar but they make some very good and unusual food, constantly changing specials, homemade chips.

Also, some other well established places:
- Miley's, another bar just west of Coach's Inn on rt. 394... very good food and tons of specialty burgers
- Horseshoe Inn, rustic bar/restaurant on West Perimeter road a few miles down from the gas station at the Steamburg exit of rt. 86... highlights are their signature burger (my fav in the area), constantly changing varieties of baked fish, pot roast sammich, fried bologna sammich

In Salamanca, I've read that the old Red Garter up on the hill overlooking the city has opened under new ownership and name (Bear Mountain Resort) and it appears there is a restaurant again. Haven't been up there since, but the view up there is so good, it's worth a try.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Miley's and the Horseshoe Inn are two of my faves. Miley's wings and French onion soup are to die for. Only get the steak salad if you're very hungry!

The Frewsburger is supposed to be very good although lacking in ambiance. I haven't tried it, but all the locals love it.

Jeremy's Belview on Foot Avenue and Burtch (south of Martin Road) is .

The Belle-View East right near the corner of East Main and Work Street (right before the bank) is another Jamestown area institution. It's famous for its butterbits.

The Lily Pad on Rt 394 east of Kennedy has excellent fish fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area