Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 27,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloCoder View Post
Unfortunately this could not be further from the truth. I've been here for about 7 years and have grown quite sick of the local food, for the most part. If my girlfriend wasn't a great cook I would seriously consider moving, for food reasons alone.

I grew up in a downstate suburb (northern Westchester), which I fortunately have the opportunity to visit often, where the decor, food quality, and level of service at an average establishment is considered "fancy" (or more like unavailable) in Buffalo.

And if you were to pit Buffalo against NYC for food quality/selection...... that's just hilarious.

At least there is some good cheap BBQ in Buffalo... Kentucky Gregs and Suzy Qs.
Wings... good and widely available. Ate my fair share during college... not as interested anymore.
Pizza... blah. Vera pizza is somewhat OK.
Mighty Taco... reprehensible. Good thing chipotle came (but sad that chipotle is the best mexican around)
Ted's... pretty good. But they're hot dogs. Nothing to write home about.
Kebab and Curry... best Indian around; easily beaten by most average Indian places downstate though.
Kuni's... pretty good sushi. But can't really compete with many other cities offerings.

Not sure what your taste is, but would have to disagree with you, there is such a variety of restaurants and grocery stores in and around Buffalo!!! The pizza and wings is definately the best there!!!! There are so many restaurants..from $5.00 to over $100.00...perhaps you have been going to the wrong places, yes of course all the restaurants aren't above average, but more are above than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 27,272 times
Buffalo is a great city....there is so much to do there...I was born and bred in Buffalo, but when my son was of school age, I headed for the suburbs near the west seneca town lines...I wanted my son to go to a school that i could walk him to and at the time wasn't congested. I was a single mom, with no tranportation, so living in buffalo, and having him bused downtown, wasnt an option for me. The suburbs are just as great as the city. It just depends on what you prefer....Univeral Man was on point about the city..it is diverse, and it is great place to be, lots going on. The suburbs are quieter. Lived in West Seneca, and then in Derby/Angola...both are great places...and really are a hop, skip , and a jump to anywhere you need to go. I myself love the city, but I prefer the quietness of the suburbs.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Bush leagued. No other way to put it. Buffalo is a means to somewhere else. It's in Toronto's shadows amongst the Eastern Great Lake Cities. WNY is a running joke throughout the more populated eastern part of the state. I have always said Buffalo and Erie,PA should become part of Ohio. They can enjoy their "pop" and midwestern accents.

It's a dingy behind the times town. I lived there for some 20 years. Rock clubs and Nightclubs have twice divorced grannies in their feathered hair trying to find some guy to take care of their kids and grandkids. Sports teams stink. No one can debate that. The weather stinks. Summers are decent for a few months with temps in the 70's and 80's. The other 8 months are too muddy or snowy to do much of any outdoor activities unless it is horseshoes under the influence. Snowmobilers are just a bunch of goofs who have never traveled outside of the Northeast. If they did, they'd consider relocating to mountainous regions of the SW if they wanted their fix. Durango,CO, Santa Fe,NM or Flagstaff,AZ rings a bell. Been to all 3 in the past year since moving to AZ.

It sure as hell isn't a place to retire. It sure as hell is not a place to maximize income potential. The people there are multigenerational families that are too stubborn or too provincial to ever realize that it is the armpit of the nation. Same goes with Cleveland and Detroit. The three Lake Erie towns are the armpit of America as the economic stats have confirmed for years (3 poorest major cities in the US).

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM

341 posts, read 684,025 times
Wow, you're back.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Wow, you're back.
Considering I lived in WNY for over 20 years, I feel my take is more than qualified. Arizona is mostly positive but I am not afraid to admit the few warts either. No place is utopic but the differences just from a social and lifestyle aspect aren't even close. The Medical is great out here (Mayo Clinic for my wife) along with great people. I am actually in the minority being a Downstate NY native here. Most of the transplants are Midwesterners. Much like you Buffalonians are influenced by. Between coworkers and other locals with Midwest ties, none of them have regrets living here in many conversations. 3.6% state taxes on paychecks (most opt for 2.7). I do 3.6 because NY gauged me for more than twice that amount for decades so 3.6 is nothing. Better weather, better roads, more geographic and climatic diversity. Pacific blows Atlantic away too. The beaches are sandier , the waves are better and I like that water temps stay in the high 60's. Get out of the 1970's WNY time warp and take in growing areas which is the entire SW.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 AM

Another thing IT GUY, I will give you the moral fabric of middle aged women in Buffalo. I am middle aged now so I can see through the mind of one of that age. When I was at UB in the early 90's, my action was not primarily PJ Bottoms or 3rd Base on Main St. It was The Marriot on Tuesday Night ladies night ! We all called it "The Married Rot". Women twice my age took their rings off in unhappy marriages hoping to get some action. It was easy pickings. Even at Jack's Place that was known as an off duty Amherst Cop hangout next door, I scored with the wife of a high ranking Erie County cop at that time. Is it that the men are lame or are the women so BORED with living in such a cesspool known as WNY that they stray to break up the monotony of their lives ? I think the answer is the later. Nothing has changed. I went to similar places some 10-20 years later and saw the same desperation of women with my wife observing as well. The hubby's trapped their wives in the cesspool known as WNY. The wife's act out.

Last edited by magnum0417; 10-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,085 times
hi everyone my hubby and i are considering to move to lancaster ny baiscally because he want to keep working at C&S grocery over there but we want to buy a house there but we are not sure how much are housing taxes rates we are living in new hampshire now and here housing taxes are higher. ill aprecciate ur comments if you know more about this place lancaster ny thanks.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM

29 posts, read 60,853 times
Great post, UniversalMan!!!

I personally don't think property taxes are that crazy here, when you add them to how cheap most things are (including housing). My taxes on my $53k, 1400 sq ft house (new roof, newer windows, hardwood floors, detached garage, huge nice kitchen, new tile & carpet, etc) in a fairly calm area with limited crime are less than $850 a year. That makes for a very reasonable house payment.

I've made $11 an hour here, working 30 hours a week, and still afforded a two bedroom in a high demand neighborhood, had a car and went out regularly. It's amazing how far you can stretch your dollars here. My parents live in a rural area on a farm in central-southern NYS and rent, utilities, groceries, etc are almost identical in price, despite their being NOTHING to do there and even fewer jobs.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Considering I lived in WNY for over 20 years, I feel my take is more than qualified. Arizona is mostly positive but I am not afraid to admit the few warts either. No place is utopic but the differences just from a social and lifestyle aspect aren't even close. The Medical is great out here (Mayo Clinic for my wife) along with great people. I am actually in the minority being a Downstate NY native here. Most of the transplants are Midwesterners. Much like you Buffalonians are influenced by. Between coworkers and other locals with Midwest ties, none of them have regrets living here in many conversations. 3.6% state taxes on paychecks (most opt for 2.7). I do 3.6 because NY gauged me for more than twice that amount for decades so 3.6 is nothing. Better weather, better roads, more geographic and climatic diversity. Pacific blows Atlantic away too. The beaches are sandier , the waves are better and I like that water temps stay in the high 60's. Get out of the 1970's WNY time warp and take in growing areas which is the entire SW.

Gees, in AZ, you get illegals, high costs for water and few skilled tradesmen (have 4 friends who moved out and MOVED BACK!). Stop posting to Buffalo if you have nothing good to say. Stick to AZ

Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyda View Post
hi everyone my hubby and i are considering to move to lancaster ny baiscally because he want to keep working at C&S grocery over there but we want to buy a house there but we are not sure how much are housing taxes rates we are living in new hampshire now and here housing taxes are higher. ill aprecciate ur comments if you know more about this place lancaster ny thanks.
Tyda:

You would be just as close to Alden NY if you want a real small town feel. Here is their Town Tax link. I think they are cheaper than Lancaster
Town of Alden: Assessor'
Town website: Town of Alden

Here is the Lancaster town website
Town of Lancaster, New York

At the far east end of Lancaster or west end of Alden, you would be about the same distance from his work and only a few minutes away

West of Lancaster is Depew, a village in the town of Lancaster and Cheektowaga. If you are on the east of Transit Rd, it is Lancaster; west of Transit, it is Cheektowaga. It is substantially less expensive -- unless you go to the far south of its zip which has new developments (Depew zip, they call themselves Lancaster).
Village of Depew

Also look at this (it is in Town of Lancaster): Bowmansville
Bowmansville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North of his work, Clarence is a great suburb, but higher in house and (probably) tax cost
Town of Clarence, NY

Look on a map: Go to Genesee and the location of C&S. It is in Lancaster (north end of town)/Bowmansville (is right there. Look on Harris Hill Rd) . Go north of the Thruway, you get Clarence. Alden is east of Townline Rd. Depew is about 2 blocks east of Transit and over west across Transit. Lancaster is a large town, we are about 39 sq. miles (I think). Out this end of town, toward Alden, we tend to be more single homes, many built in the 1950s-70s. The village of Lancaster is older.

Personally, I do not find our taxes (Lancaster) high. My daughter ( Depew) has higher taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area