U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 25,915 times

Advertisements

I've already know the worst side of town, and obviously its the eastside. But what I want to know is the worse neighborhoods. I major in Journalism and also like to read books about life in the streets. In my spear time, I am working on a book documenting the life of people in some of the worst areas of Buffalo. Though I never really struggled, I am really intrigued in finding the underlying cause that prompts such areas to be bad. So It would be very helpful for anyone to tell me some bad NEIGHBORHOODS, not entire sections so maybe I can stroll threw them and talk to people around there and have a better understanding of what an average person goes through while living in bad sections of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM

68 posts, read 66,916 times
From riding the buses around the city, I can tell you that the most disinvested streets are Genesee, Broadway, and Sycamore. Of those, Sycamore is probably the worst. With disinvestment often comes crime. Particular areas that appear to be suffering from crime and abandonment particularly badly are:

- Colorado Avenue between Genesee and East Ferry - A disporportionate number of crimes seem to happen in this small area

- the area east of Fillmore and west of the railroad tracks north and south of Broadway (old Polonia). - This is the epicenter of the city's latest demolition binge, which suggests that more of the properties in this area are more decayed than other areas.

For some extremely good essays about the intricacies of the lives of the poor in rough parts of big cities, the writings of journalist John Carlisle at detroitblog.org are very good. Maybe some of the things he discovers in Detroit will give you inspiration for what you might look for here. Detroit is, of course, much poorer and more decrepit than even the worst parts of Buffalo, but the same principles apply.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM

I always found Broadway to be the poorest looking main street. But that is just from only a couple times being around there. Now about Colorado, that seems to be very close to the ferry grider homes area(someone said they was moving their from albany). I was thinking about going over their after doing some research on the area. It seems as though alot of shootings around that whole area along east ferry and the side streets is related to those housing projects. I was thinking about going to the Langfields to since they are bigger projects but they are near Bailey and I want to go to differentt parts. My only problem is, I just dont know if those areas are bad or not. I want to visit about 4 bad neighborhoods throughout the city. And I just dont want to go to any hood based off looks because that will be a little wrong. But anyways, here are some hoods Im thinking of visiting.

Ferry Grider Homes and the side streets between East Ferry and Genesee starting from those projects going down to Colorado
Bailey area around the Hewitt, Minnesota, Shirley etc. area and the rest of the side streets
Schiller park towards Walden
Going somewhere around Broadway but not sure what part or area
Maybe the Lower westside

Are these some of the worse or should I change and put a different neighborhood. And can anybody describe these areas to me the best as I can because i'm what they consider a preppy, rich boy, and dont really venture out to those areas or know anything about them really, just based off from what I heard. But I am really interested and want to fix the problems in the neighborhoods and give people a good idea of what its really like from their perspective so they can have a voice and be heard

Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM

251 posts, read 318,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloismycity View Post
I've already know the worst side of town, and obviously its the eastside. But what I want to know is the worse neighborhoods. I major in Journalism and also like to read books about life in the streets. In my spear time, I am working on a book documenting the life of people in some of the worst areas of Buffalo. Though I never really struggled, I am really intrigued in finding the underlying cause that prompts such areas to be bad. So It would be very helpful for anyone to tell me some bad NEIGHBORHOODS, not entire sections so maybe I can stroll threw them and talk to people around there and have a better understanding of what an average person goes through while living in bad sections of the city.
Parental involvement.

Last edited by ncnittany; 08-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM

252 posts, read 313,173 times
What do you mean by "bad"? Are you looking for the neighborhoods with the most violent crime? (Even then, one should distinguish between places that dangerous to innocent passersby and those that just happen to have a lot of inter-criminal crime.) Are you looking for the worst looking neighborhoods in terms of abandoned and demolished houses? Are you looking for the highest rate of poverty? The most obnoxious and non-neighborly residents?

I think there are many different definitions of "bad" neighborhood that often get mixed together in discussions, but it really helps to understand your terms with some precision.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 PM

1,418 posts, read 652,163 times
For a self-guided tour of Buffalo's worst areas, I'd start at the corner of Middlesex and Amherst streets. Head west down Middlesex, make a left on Meadow, right on Nottingham, then walk partway around the trail at Hoyt Lake until you reach Lincoln Pkwy...

Just kidding.

A few things:

--Langfield Projects are on Eggert if I'm not mistaken...while that's not too far from Bailey, it's also not remarkably close. I mean, I sometimes find myself cutting down Winspear to get from Eggert to Main, and there are a couple longish blocks to pass through before you reach Bailey. Google maps or Mapquest could confirm the distance, but...it's far enough away where I wouldn't consider Eggert part of the same neighborhood as Bailey, really.

Interesting little blog entry from 2010 from a guy named Eric who grew up at Langfield:

The Neighborhood Project: Langfield Homes

--I'd recommend investigating the Fruit Belt, if you're serious about doing this stuff

--Your writing seems pretty mediocre, which means if you are in fact serious about writing something extensive on this subject, you might want to work on composition. And in the unlikeliest of unlikely events that you do in fact devote enough time and effort to this pursuit to produce something approximating a book-length treatment of the subject, I'd be happy to proofread it.

--As for what influences the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty, crime, violence that is evident in many of the places we're talking about here, I'll "controversially" (it shouldn't be controversial, but it is to people who care more about political correctness than reality) advance the premise that genetics has to be considered a factor, along with environmental factors like the already alluded to parental abandonment, poverty, surrounding drug-and-gang culture, etc. I mean, academic performance is notoriously problematic in many city areas, and while parental guidance or lack thereof can be crucial in that area, there is something to be said for possessing innate capabilities that would lead one to want to strive for academic achievement above say ingratiating oneself with the local chapter of the Bloods or Latin Kings. However I will say that the dynamics between nature and nurture are far too complex to risk generalizing...and, to risk generalizing somewhat because I just can't resist, I suspect that "poor" genes would correlate with poor circumstance, thus resulting in the sorts of truly hopeless situations that my mom (as a longtime speech therapist in the Buffalo schools) and my dad (having been a probation officer for Erie County for 25+ years) have encountered on a near-daily basis for 2 1/2 to 3 decades now. Give someone who's already lost the genetic lottery a lead-poisoned home filled with roaches and run by a drug addicted single mother, and let's see what results in 18 years!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM

1,001 posts, read 889,593 times
Quote:
Journalism eh? Blogging for Yahoo?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM

Of course im not going to type perfectly on a forum. Its unusual when someone does, especially if they are on their phone typing. But anyuways what i mean by bad is shootings, poverty, unknown people are at higher risk of being robbed, open drug enviroment, and etc. I hope you get the idea. The thing with the fruitbelt is that I have heard its not too bad of an area anymore as opposed to the others. If it was 05, then maybe. And also with Langfields, I just thought most considered it a Bailey "hood" because Eggert is not known as a bad street as the case with that area of Bailey. So I probably am wrong. But do you guys think the neighborhoods I listed are good ones to go too if I want an idea of what its like living in some of Buffalo worst hoods. Im also thinking of just doing the Ferry-Grider area in general, not just the area I mentioned. Maybe down some streets between East Ferry and Delevan around there since 2 homicides just took place over there.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 5,710,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
For a self-guided tour of Buffalo's worst areas, I'd start at the corner of Middlesex and Amherst streets. Head west down Middlesex, make a left on Meadow, right on Nottingham, then walk partway around the trail at Hoyt Lake until you reach Lincoln Pkwy...

Just kidding.

A few things:

--Langfield Projects are on Eggert if I'm not mistaken...while that's not too far from Bailey, it's also not remarkably close. I mean, I sometimes find myself cutting down Winspear to get from Eggert to Main, and there are a couple longish blocks to pass through before you reach Bailey. Google maps or Mapquest could confirm the distance, but...it's far enough away where I wouldn't consider Eggert part of the same neighborhood as Bailey, really.

Interesting little blog entry from 2010 from a guy named Eric who grew up at Langfield:

The Neighborhood Project: Langfield Homes

--I'd recommend investigating the Fruit Belt, if you're serious about doing this stuff

--Your writing seems pretty mediocre, which means if you are in fact serious about writing something extensive on this subject, you might want to work on composition. And in the unlikeliest of unlikely events that you do in fact devote enough time and effort to this pursuit to produce something approximating a book-length treatment of the subject, I'd be happy to proofread it.

--As for what influences the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty, crime, violence that is evident in many of the places we're talking about here, I'll "controversially" (it shouldn't be controversial, but it is to people who care more about political correctness than reality) advance the premise that genetics has to be considered a factor, along with environmental factors like the already alluded to parental abandonment, poverty, surrounding drug-and-gang culture, etc. I mean, academic performance is notoriously problematic in many city areas, and while parental guidance or lack thereof can be crucial in that area, there is something to be said for possessing innate capabilities that would lead one to want to strive for academic achievement above say ingratiating oneself with the local chapter of the Bloods or Latin Kings. However I will say that the dynamics between nature and nurture are far too complex to risk generalizing...and, to risk generalizing somewhat because I just can't resist, I suspect that "poor" genes would correlate with poor circumstance, thus resulting in the sorts of truly hopeless situations that my mom (as a longtime speech therapist in the Buffalo schools) and my dad (having been a probation officer for Erie County for 25+ years) have encountered on a near-daily basis for 2 1/2 to 3 decades now. Give someone who's already lost the genetic lottery a lead-poisoned home filled with roaches and run by a drug addicted single mother, and let's see what results in 18 years!
Matt -
You have my husband ( born and brought up in the Delevan/Grider area when it was a "NICE" working class neighborhood) laughing -- really laughing. Since we both taught in Buffalo (both retired over 10 years ) we can say you are definitely spot on and your parents described the city problems to you well.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM

1,001 posts, read 889,593 times
Quote:
Of course im not going to type perfectly on a forum. Its unusual when someone does, especially if they are on their phone typing. But anyuways what i mean by bad is shootings, poverty, unknown people are at higher risk of being robbed, open drug enviroment, and etc. I hope you get the idea. The thing with the fruitbelt is that I have heard its not too bad of an area anymore as opposed to the others. If it was 05, then maybe. And also with Langfields, I just thought most considered it a Bailey "hood" because Eggert is not known as a bad street as the case with that area of Bailey. So I probably am wrong. But do you guys think the neighborhoods I listed are good ones to go too if I want an idea of what its like living in some of Buffalo worst hoods. Im also thinking of just doing the Ferry-Grider area in general, not just the area I mentioned. Maybe down some streets between East Ferry and Delevan around there since 2 homicides just took place over there.
A spelling error because of typing on a phone is okay, but to use the wrong word totally confuses me. Hopefully you are just starting and can fix it. And no, it's not unusual when someone types properly on forums. It shows respect to the reader and to the English language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area