U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,348 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I have been married for 2 years, and he has changed his address with the DMV each time he moved, so I have no idea how a jury duty summons would wind up at his parents house... He doesn't speak to his family, but one of his siblings said their mom got a jury duty summons in the mail for him, but she doesn't know how long ago, or even where it is! We also have mail being forwarded to our new address so I don't see how this slipped past... Anyways, I'm nervous for him, he doesn't have a warrant for his arrest, but since his family throws out or ignores anything sent for him at their address, I'm sure whatever the date was on the letter has long passed... He's also sole provider for our family and has ADD, so he can't miss any work, heck, let me take his place, seriously!!!
It's the weekend, so I'm asking on here what to expect, he will call and see if there really IS a jury duty summons, and what he should do, what can we do? Can I offer to do it instead of him? We live paycheck to paycheck, can't they delay it for a year or let me take his place? But my biggest worry- even though he doesn't have a warrant out, does he have a fine since he didn't show? Thanks all in advance! If he has to go, then I guess we will find a way to make do, but I don't want him getting arrested or facing a fine when it was sent to his parents address since we are always on top of things with changing his address with the DMV and voter registration, AND the post office! What are the chances?!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

341 posts, read 311,950 times
Contact the Court, and let them know the situation. Contrary to popular opinion, they really don't want to fill up the jails with people who missed jury duty

Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,138,756 times
I'm not sure how it workd in the U.S., but here in Canada these cards come regular mail and as such, there is no way for anyone to prove if you received it or not. I was once working a joe job trying to make ends meet and received a jury summons. Worried about being sequestered, having absolutely no faith in the Canadian "justice" system and being worried that my truck could be repoed as a result of partaking in a process I have no respect for, I tossed said summons in the garbage. It's been well over 10 years and I haven't heard anything about it since. Like I said, they can't prove I ever received it in the first place.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 AM

3,977 posts, read 5,710,138 times
Are you sure maybe his family isn't just pulling your leg?

First off, things like jury summons are like the election card you get: if you don't live there, it goes back. If your husband has changed his address with DMV and marked a change of address for the Board of Elections, it SHOULD change his address. [ However, one of my daughters, on getting married, still has ( for 8 years ) occasional mail sent here in her maiden name. We give it to her. For the first 3 of those years, it was for voting cards (she had changed her name and address and since we were still here, somehow, the "name" didn't move from DMV to BOE) -- this should not apply to your husband, as he has no name change.]

Look in the phone book under Erie County and find the number for juries. Call it & ask if it was ever sent; work it out with them. [BTW, if you are called and dismissed, they cannot call you for another 7 years. I got called and was called for a case -- turned out I knew someone in the case and got dismissed. They told me thanks, goodbye, and we won't call you for another 7 years. That was in the 1980s; have not been called since]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area