Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,959 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Buffalo suburbs, went to SUNY Geneseo then SUNY Buffalo, and moved back to the area to work for several years after college. I then moved to the DC area to work, and left DC (it's very tiring to live in the DC area) thinking I'd like to live in Colorado. I don't!

My background is secondary education. But I want to get out of teaching. My undergrad degree is in Mathematics and my master's degree is in Education. I want to find a professional job for someone with 15+ years experience in the professional work force. In the Buffalo area.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can start this search. I want to come back to Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
monster.com, i would try that out to begin with - good luck
colleen

Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
It's not too easy to find private sector professional level employment in Buffalo - the main reason so many are leaving.

Teaching, however, is one of the best gigs in WNY. Are you a math teacher? I've heard there is a shortage of them.

In the interest of making this post useful to you - I'd suggest something that is not necessarily a Buffalo thing, but useful: networking and cold calling. You've proabably heard it before, but it really works.

Networking: Talk to everyone you know in Buffalo and ask around. Sometimes a friend-of-a-friend can come through. Make some new friends in your targeted industry, ask around.

Cold Calling: Determine what skills and experience you have that are, target some specific employers and give them a pitch. If you have something unique and valuable to them, creating a job for you is not that far-fetched! If you get some positive signals, be persistent. After a while you will think you are being a pest, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. This is how I found my job in NYC.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
There is a math teacher shortage. If you aren't interested, try looking up the US govt. jobs. There is an IRS here, also for statistics there are several other agengies ( an FBI, VA, Corps of Engineers). Have you tried the colleges? You know how many there are -- SUNY Buffalo must have jobs and I imagine lots of others do. Not necessarily in teaching, but in offices. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
I would do the same thing i do whenever i am looking for a job...

look up businesses in the industry i am interested in and mass apply to them all, its never let me down. there are tons of jobs available in the buffalo area, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:15 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
I would reconsider Colorado. It is the most beautiful state I've ever been in. If you have never been there don't rule it out. Plus the jobs are plentiful there in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: