Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I don't mean this pejoratively, but ckh has to have Asperger's...that's my armchair diagnosis based on his obsessive providing of context-free links

East Aurora and Lewiston are nice places to visit but not nice places to live...I find it hard to believe that EA has a theater company given its conservative nature (though I know that they in fact do). Lewiston is rather similar in that regard...Artpark is nice over the summer, and there may in fact be a few pottery-hawking stores west of 104 in the village there, but neither of those is a town FOR artists, really. You have to live in Elmwood/Allen if you self-identify as an artist in this area, IMO...and even then....
Re-read the OP and then you will see why I posted the way I did. It basically was done to cover all potential bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
You don't live in Buffalo, do you?

Babeville?

Hallswalls?

Shakespeare in the Park?

Mobs controlling Buffalo?

I went to shakespeare in the park once. During the intermissions, they had the actors going around hitting people up for money. I know everyone needs funding, but the way they did it rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
I think that's pretty typical of most open air venues these days...I went to Albany and happened to catch a free play there...actors did the same thing.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Suburban arts-friendly areas? East Aurora, I believe would fall into this. They have a great performance art center (Can't recall the name).

Another area I would consider arts-friendly would be Lewiston, NY. The main strip there has a heavy population of crafts stores (Artisan frames, etc etc). Lewiston is also home to Art Park.

Pretty much everywhere in WNY takes 20 minutes to get to. To be saturated however, your best bet is Allentown or Elmwood Village.
There's nothing artsy about Elmwood Village unless you think hipster retail is artsy. Yeah East Aurora would do.Not Lewiston. Art Park is a concert venue. I don't consider crafts to be art however. Albright Knox is only serious place for art.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 18,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
There's nothing artsy about Elmwood Village unless you think hipster retail is artsy. Yeah East Aurora would do.Not Lewiston. Art Park is a concert venue. I don't consider crafts to be art however. Albright Knox is only serious place for art.
Yes, I would like to be near some real theatre and art. I've had enough of the hipsters and their screen printing, but I do enjoy a good coffee shop.

Does Buffalo have a good library system? We have an excellent one here that hosts great events.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsisboombah View Post
Yes, I would like to be near some real theatre and art. I've had enough of the hipsters and their screen printing, but I do enjoy a good coffee shop.

Does Buffalo have a good library system? We have an excellent one here that hosts great events.
Buffalo and Erie County Public Library System

Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I don't mean this pejoratively, but ckh has to have Asperger's...that's my armchair diagnosis based on his obsessive providing of context-free links
Nothing shameful in having that

Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I went to shakespeare in the park once. During the intermissions, they had the actors going around hitting people up for money. I know everyone needs funding, but the way they did it rubbed me the wrong way.
Don't bother going to church. They do the same thing lol

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Yes, of course. Nothing artsy about the Village. Except their art festivals, their artisinal shops, the couple of private galleries, and the places there where you can commission a work.

And, music is not art? Funny me, I thought it was.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Don't bother going to church. They do the same thing lol

Lol, you don't have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area