U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,273 times
Default Population is decreasing !!

Why people are moving out from buffalo area? Is the job market dying there? Or because of the high crime rate ? or somethig else?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM

2,909 posts, read 9,859,480 times
Probably both plus it gets cold in the winter months. If I decide to live in north New York, itll be in a small city with low crime

Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM

7,975 posts, read 10,170,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchow View Post
Why people are moving out from buffalo area? Is the job market dying there? Or because of the high crime rate ? or somethig else?
I'd hazard a guess that it's all of the above.

I saw a report on population statistics a few months ago. Lots of major cities are experiencing urban flight. Well-to-do people are leaving cities in droves, fleeing the crime, high cost of living, traffic, congestion, etc.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 9,851,172 times
Well no, for Buffalo, it is different. It's one of only 2 cities in the whole country whose entire metro area is losing population (the other is Pittsburgh). Frankly, Buffalo is probably doing better now than it has in 30 or 40 years, but that long perod of decline left a lot of people in the area with some pretty bad feelings about it. The city of Buffalo itself is losing population for the same reasons that every other city is losing population that was built up before WWII (with the exception of NYC). People want newer, bigger, homes. The weather isn't as much of a factor as many would believe. People wouldn't care about the weather nearly as much if the economy hadn't seen such a huge decline; places like Minneapolis have much more harsh winters than WNY, but their population is growing pretty fast; and that's because that city avoided severe economic decline.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 9,859,480 times
How viable is Buffalo for someone who plans to be self employed? How bad is the winters? Crime? I love the nice cheap houses! Tons of $50k houses!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:52 PM

105 posts, read 1,179 times
misinformed stop repeating incorrect information. Detroit Cinn Cleveland and a host of other cities are losing population - I gave you the numbers and sources in another post. On this thread you say Minneapolis "is growing pretty fast" Heres a quote from city data com. "Population (year 2000): 382,618. Estimated population in July 2005: 372,811 (-2.6% change)" hint when you see the - sign instead of the plus that means its LOSING population. I didnt see you say metro or any qualifiers Minneapolis is not growing. You seem to have the habit of just making statements without researching them and people may be depending on your info. Maybe instead of the 1156 posts, you should post a bit less and research a lot more.

Buffalo started losing population around 1947 and its been a steady decline. First it was manufacturing jobs. In 1947 Buffalo had 560,000 people today it has 281,000. Buffalo also suffers from cold weather - high taxes and pretty high crime. Last but not least there is an attitude issue. Most people whether its in polls or on the street and pessimistic about their town. There is also the attitude that " you dont live IN Buffalo" meaning the suburbs.

Having said this - I spent two weeks in Buffalo last November and the architecture is outstanding. Because of population flight many of the buildings and perhaps 80% of the houses are old. For the same demographic reasons these houses are CHEAP.

Need Affordable home- check my thread on the upcoming auction - forget $50,000 you can get something nice for $10,000!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 9,851,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
misinformed stop repeating incorrect information. Detroit Cinn Cleveland and a host of other cities are losing population - I gave you the numbers and sources in another post. On this thread you say Minneapolis "is growing pretty fast" Heres a quote from city data com. "Population (year 2000): 382,618. Estimated population in July 2005: 372,811 (-2.6% change)" hint when you see the - sign instead of the plus that means its LOSING population. I didnt see you say metro or any qualifiers Minneapolis is not growing. You seem to have the habit of just making statements without researching them and people may be depending on your info. Maybe instead of the 1156 posts, you should post a bit less and research a lot more.

Buffalo started losing population around 1947 and its been a steady decline. First it was manufacturing jobs. In 1947 Buffalo had 560,000 people today it has 281,000. Buffalo also suffers from cold weather - high taxes and pretty high crime. Last but not least there is an attitude issue. Most people whether its in polls or on the street and pessimistic about their town. There is also the attitude that " you dont live IN Buffalo" meaning the suburbs.

Having said this - I spent two weeks in Buffalo last November and the architecture is outstanding. Because of population flight many of the buildings and perhaps 80% of the houses are old. For the same demographic reasons these houses are CHEAP.

Need Affordable home- check my thread on the upcoming auction - forget $50,000 you can get something nice for $10,000!
You aren't a very intelligent person are you? I was talking about the METROPOLITAN AREAS. Yes, JUST like I said, the city limits of most older major cities are losing population, but the areas around them are growing enough that the whole region has growth. BUT, with Buffalo and Pittsburgh, it is different. The whole metro area for both cities is losing population. Look at Washington DC. It's losing population very fast..... but look at the suburban areas in Maryland and Virginia that surround it; they make the DC metro one of the fastest growing in the nation. It's really not a very complicated thing. You should really stop throwing insults around when you don't even know what others (or yourself for that matter) are talking about.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:51 PM

105 posts, read 1,179 times
This is from the US Census report among 88 METRO areas
1 1 Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA -2.0
2 -1 Scranton—Wilkes-Barre, PA -1.4
3 0 Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY -1.2
4 0 Pittsburgh, PA -1.1
5 5 Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH -0.5
6 0 Dayton, OH -0.3
7 0 Toledo, OH -0.1 1 -1 Scranton—Wilkes-Barre, PA -2.5
2 1 Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA -1.7
3 0 Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY -1.6
4 0 Pittsburgh, PA -1.5
5 -8 Syracuse, NY -1.5

Oh well and he's asking me about intelligence? LOL

Metropolitan Policy Program
Metro America in the New Century:
Metropolitan and Central City
Demographic Shifts Since 2000
William H. Frey The BROOKINGS INSTITUTION

Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,422 times
Default Buffalo is Hemeraging population. Now more than ever!

The population census figures taken during the 2000 census was 281,000. Tiny by most standards but it gets worse-much worse.
Since 2000 the City of Buffalo has lost 42000 people. The incredible loss is accelerating! Much of the one time Buffalo NY is devistated. Its s though a tsunami came in leaving a waste land when the water receaded-and left to rot.
Leaving what your all seeing when you come to Buffalo! 20% go through winters now "in Buffalo-NY with no heat"! Fact!
It is a death march. Census track 39 I understand that the medium percapita income on the Gaza Strip is higher. This is no joke.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM

258 posts, read 518,543 times
Why would you bring back a two year old post just to bash the city. I predict that the 2010 census will show that the population of the city and region will have stabilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area