Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball1 View Post
It's a shame Buffalo isn't Rochester. If it were, the population would increase yearly. Buffalo is dead comparatively. People in Elmwood try to hard, the city is too focused on what it used to be instead of where it wants to be, and the city simply doesn't have an organic feel to it. On the weekends and after 5pm on the weekends, the city is empty. Your kidding yourself if you think its thriving.
Agreed. Buffalo needs to focus more on the future rather than what it once was in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Yes many immigrants (particularly Asian and middle eastern immigrants) from downstate are eyeing upstate cities (including Buffalo) due to the affordable real estate. They have no pre-concieved notions about the East-side as being a dangerous place to live.

Many people don't realize how insanely expensive it's getting to live downstate and many newcomers are looking to other areas in the state to live their "New York" dream where they can own their own home.

In addition many native born middle class downstaters are looking to leave places like Long Island, Staten Island and New Jersey because the of the outrageous property taxes and rapidly declining quality of life. Many are looking to move to places like the Carolinas, but others would be willing to consider places like the Buffalo suburbs if they were actively courted. Getting in on the NYC metro middle class exodus could be a real population gainer for upstate metros if they actively targeted these people. They won't mind making less money when they see WNY's housing prices and lower property taxes (per square foot) with the same good schools.

The future of NYC metro is for the rich and the low wage workers that serve them, upstate metros could offer a real middle class alternative for those who want the chance to own a home and live a decent life rather than the "all or nothing" lifestyle of the NYC metro.
That's interesting. I noticed there were quite a few pockets of immigrants from ethnic groups in Upstate NY. I can see why they would move to Upstate NY- cheaper COL yet still feel like they're living the NY dream. Isn't there a lot of immigrants in the Utica?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
That's interesting. I noticed there were quite a few pockets of immigrants from ethnic groups in Upstate NY. I can see why they would move to Upstate NY- cheaper COL yet still feel like they're living the NY dream. Isn't there a lot of immigrants in the Utica?
Yes, as many are resettled refugees. It has a strong Bosnian community, as well as a Southeast Asian(mostly Vietnamese) and African (mostly Sudanese, but from other Eastern and Western African countries) communities too. Syracuse's North Side has quite a few. Binghamton also get SE Asian immigrants/refugees, with settling in Johnson City and I believe the First Ward of Binghamton. I believe there are other cities in Upstate that get immigrants as well.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,284 times
The US Census figures are not accurate. It's 54 per week and will continue to be close to that for many years to come.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisone View Post
The US Census figures are not accurate. It's 54 per week and will continue to be close to that for many years to come.
What is the source of this data? How can you be so certain of demographic and migration predictions?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 AM

47 posts, read 89,706 times
The East Side is a heart ache. I think the West Side connecting to Elmwood will get better first. I don't live there, but I did. Considering something radical and not normal for the average family. Schools are not important to us as we homeschool - but classes are. The walkability may mean trouble for a young teen, but I also think it is a rather rich freedom. I think this side is really a safe place to be young within a resourceful community. I want my kids to feel connected yet independent and sheltered but experienced at the same time. I think the city life can offer a lot - inspire sundance films and poetry maybe. The suburbs are great with their excellent schools! I love East Aurora, but we don't buy in to that.. we like to travel and we love each other.. The internet makes it more possible to learn than ever with classes on-line too. City honors? Well.. I think University is a serious commitment and hope they choose that path, but if they want to run a business, the location is also a great one. This would be a second home too /part time life. Lots of options here. I just think the micro area has a lot to offer.. it will be a great oasis for a family. Many of the Walkable cities I have researched have far less walkability, higher prices and unsafer places. It is a geographic almost highway/high traffic roads walled land availability...all near a beautiful lake.

Are the taxes really that low in the city? I think I saw a home that said $330 and $1000? Seriously?!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
I live in the city and presently home school as well. It is wonderful and it can be a rich experience. Taxes can be low in Buffalo. I have a house appraised at approximately $100K and the taxes are about $2600.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
I wonder if the "Say Yes to Education" program is having (or will have) an impact on the number of people living in Buffalo and having their children attend Buffalo Public and Charter schools? I saw in the BPS data that the enrollment of kindergarten students increased by nearly 8% year over year in 2012, and grades 1 thru 6 showed stable numbers (although overall the district showed a decrease). 8% is a very significant increase in one year, especially since BPS numbers have been dropping for decades. Free college education is a very strong incentive, and that "Say Yes" includes magnet schools, charter schools, has no need requirements - and now covers several private colleges - make it sound like an amazing opportunity for motivated students and parents.

https://stateaid.nysed.gov/xmlreport...p?dcode=140600

http://buffalo.sayyestoeducation.org/

Last edited by RocketSci; 04-02-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM

47 posts, read 89,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I live in the city and presently home school as well. It is wonderful and it can be a rich experience. Taxes can be low in Buffalo. I have a house appraised at approximately $100K and the taxes are about $2600.
Thanks! It seemed too low for NY... I am going to contact you later genoobie!!!

RocketSci - It totally will!!!! It is a huge step!!!! I have researched many, many cities and this factor always plays well with real estate and families coming into town.. Every teacher is different though and also faculty and policy.. I tried a private school with my son and the lower program was gold, but the older age group (Montessori, all grouped) had a really bad effect on him. He was even trying it out as the do to transition him so I gave it a great 9 months.. but the days he cried.. It was hard on us. We now have invested in a lot of the same tools they use at the school. I am currently working on a playgroup that has the moms be quiet for a period of time, just to give them free play with strong energy for scaffolding their learning. Anyway.. I hope to see a Waldorf school in the mix there. Everyone says it is so incredible full of crap, but the element the kids will learn the most may heal their hood; love. We have a strong Waldorf element in our day, toys, and play... but we also have a lot of real life, library, books, and Montessori. We do math in real life everyday (yesterday husband did a mpg with an airplane/speed/time.. or the plane would land in a farmers field.. son loved it! and played with the idea.) We teach numbers and letters earlier than Waldorf schools do, but we are very playful and slow about them...we read so many books everyday. I thinking giving up the ipad and the worksheets will have a strong impact on everything. If you stop teaching to the test, college degree, or even training school, but factor in the community, love, social skills, and all the mix that the "Regents" can't do...you can totally heal the community. Not just get others to move in.. Religion never comes into play or needs to. It is almost like making every tired (no sleep), radically stressed (too much tv), and no help from mama (no reading), yelling in the home child into someone confident and fun - really just by removing traditional grades, worksheets and time tables for learning - everyone can feel important and a gift to the community....and maybe the behavior problems get pushed up front, but sometimes the time allowed for creative solutions really goes a long way.

I vote for charter schools, but not militant Montessori ones. I do believe that any child with disabilities (learning or otherwise) would do well in a setting like that. Any child with high emotional problems would do better in Waldorf. They both come from that sort of background.. Montessori help mentally disable power up themselves and remake their abusive orphanage home themselves. Waldorf helped the war torn and semantic/racist people of Germany find a new and better way to learn.. Steiner also has a lot of heavy stuff about his own form of religion in many schools, but many in the US simply do not teach those theories/form of religion. (he wanted to pair science with God, and it does feel like a match, but...) any way.. Waldorf is a really powerful education.. digs deep into the mind for the power of will, virtues and so much strength to ask questions and learn..the backdrop is a lot of stories about people making the world a better place too.

I have heard of lower level (k-6) world language arts schools too, that are heavy in the music early too. This goes together with my University course on child development - having math later. I think that would be a great one too.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM

252 posts, read 649,789 times
greenacresmama, are you interesting in information on Waldorf or Montessori schools in the Buffalo area, or are you homeschooling now? I couldn't quite tell from your post. We sent our son to a Waldorf daycare/preschool in Buffalo and he now goes to the Montessori public school in Buffalo, so I'm pretty familiar with some of the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area